Skip navigation
Kit Lebone
Currently Being Moderated

Text flow problem

Mar 13, 2012 7:36 AM

We're currently trialing CS5.5 ID and CS5.5 IC. When I 'Package for Incopy' and my editor opens the .icap file sometimes the text flows over by a line or two. I thought I'd pinpointed it down to hypenation but it's also returning  whole words onto the next line causing the text to overrun the text box. Any suggestions as to why this is happening much appreciated. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to Kit Lebone

Obvious question is:

Do you both have the exact same version of the exact same font?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to Kit Lebone

Do you have InCopy to test it out on your machine?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to Kit Lebone

And? Does it work for you?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to Kit Lebone

Try opening the InDesign document with InCopy. Now does it work?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Kit Lebone

Just trying to figure out where the problem may be.

I’ve seen this in the past and it’s pretty wonky. Have you considered a Dropbox based workflow? Just drop the ID file along with the InCopy files in a Dropbox folder and you’re off to the races.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Mar 13, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to Kit Lebone

Kit:

No I'm afraid it doesn't hence the original post

Just to be perfectly clear, an InCopy assignment exported from InDesign and opened in InCopy all on the same machine shows overset text?

What operating system?

Are you running InDesign 7.5.2.318 and InCopy 7.5.2.318 both? Hold down Cmd/Control About InDesign to verify.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

John,

This has been a long running and very difficult problem with InDesign/InCopy workflows. Very intermittent and nearly impossible to pin down, IME.

Perhaps Anne Marie will pop in with a bit more insight.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to Kit Lebone

As John pointed out, you should still make sure you’re fully patched to 7.5.2.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Mar 13, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob:

This has been a long running and very difficult problem with InDesign/InCopy workflows. Very intermittent and nearly impossible to pin down, IME.

Well, it sounds like it is pretty consistent for Kit. Though she has not responded about whether she is running 7.5.2.318, and

I asked "just to be perfectly clear" and she has not answered. So, Kit, just to be perfectly clear, can you please answer my Yes/No question from above? Thanks!

Repeating: "Just to be perfectly clear, an InCopy assignment exported from InDesign and opened in InCopy all on the same machine shows overset text?"

I've heard of this happening and it has always been font-related. But maybe you've seen a different problem. I guess I would wonder if there is any font management software involved, and exactly which font faces the problem occurs with, and whether the problem stays if you change the font to, say, Minion Pro (ships with InDesign; maybe a bad choice because there could be dupes), or maybe Apple Gothic (ships with the OS, pretty much guaranteed to have no dupes).

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Mar 13, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Kit Lebone

In a very small way that makes me feel better since the 7.5.2 release notes don't seem to hint at a problem like this.

Could you try the font tests I suggested?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to Kit Lebone

As I said early on, I’ve seen this in the past and it’s a bear. There’s one other thing you can try.

Export the InDesign document to IDML and open that. This has a way of clearing out any minor corruption.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to Kit Lebone

Well, yes…that would be very important information because the text engines have changed. Why is it important?

Because InDesign will keep the old the text flow until you start editing stories. What I would do in this case would be to export to INX from CS2 and open that in CS5.5.

By exporting to INX you force CS5.5 to recompose all of the stories in the document and you get rid of any extraneous junk in the file. Absent the availability of CS2 the first thing to do would be to recompose all the stories in CS5.5 by using the keyboard shortcut CmdOpt/  or CtrlAlt/

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to Kit Lebone

The text reflowing is expected. For anything else, you might want to move this over to the InDesign forum.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points