Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I make my logo transperent. It has white Symbol and White words

Mar 14, 2012 11:15 AM

I am trying to use Photoshop and Illustrator to make my logo transparent but no luck. The problem is it has White Symbol and Some White sentence in it and everytime I place it on photoshop CS5 or Illustrator CS5 I can only see the name that is in Red. Can someone please help me or give some steps on how do I make it transperent?

I have both jpg and gif format for the logo. Not sure which is best to use. Pl. advise which is easy tool to do it Photoshop or Illustrator. See on the screenshot you are not seeing the White Symbol and White text because it was placed on a white background.

Thanks,

Jessy

Logo1234108.gif

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to Jessy11

Jessy,

Both JPEG and GIF are raster formats, and you will need vector, as you know, hopefully.

To see the white part, you may place the GIF, with transparency, and create a coloured rectangle (or other shape) to be placed behind it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to Jessy11

Do you want the entire logo to have a transparency applied to it (somewhere between totally opaque and totally transparent)?

OR

Are you just trying to make the negative space of your logo/image fully transparent so that it can sit on a colored background?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Jessy11

Was the logo/image created in Illustrator? If not, if it's truly a raster image, then Photoshop is going to give you some better options: But, if you're determined to do this in Illustrator, here is ONE of MANY ways to do this:

• Below, let's pretend that Jamminy Crocket (no relation to a popular, nearly identical look-alike) is your logo image.

Screen Shot 2012-03-14 at 12.37.57 PM.png

• Create a new path that traces the logo.

Screen Shot 2012-03-14 at 12.38.57 PM.png

• Ctrl-X the traced path.
    • Then, in the Transparency palette, double-click to the left of the thumbnail of the image, in the empty space.
    • A black opacity mask square will appear.
    • Cmd+Shft+V the traced path into the opacity mask thumnail - make sure the fill is 100% White.
    • TEDIOUS WORK

Screen Shot 2012-03-14 at 12.39.27 PM.png

• You'll notice that your Layers Panel now shows your Opacity Mask layers.
    • You can continue to add path/shapes to this mask to reveal (white) or hide (black) the image.
    • To get back to your normal layers, click on the left thumnail and you will return back to your normal document editing mode.

Screen Shot 2012-03-14 at 12.39.38 PM.png

• CMD+SHFT+OPT+S to Save for Web and choose PNG or GIF with Preserve Transparency checked.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points