Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Copy missing font from PDF to Word to Indesign

Mar 14, 2012 6:41 AM

Tags: #cs3 #font #copy

To purchase a 54 euro font for use in a couple of words on one project may not be a sound investment. The cover designer of the book I am in the process of laying out has utilised "HaarlemmerMT-Regular" in the title and supplied a pdf of the design. I'm searching for a workaround to use the font, and immediately tried selecting and copying the pdf title and pasting into ID, to no avail. However, pasting into Word does indeed bring up the font. The name "HaarlemmerMT-Regular" appears in the character field but is not selectable from the drop down list in Word. Pasting once again into ID is not successful. More experienced users can perhaps enlighten me? Alternate workarounds just to get the title? Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to luca del carlo

Place the PDF.

Anything other than that will require that you purchase the font.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to luca del carlo

Not sure about legalities but...

Open the pdf in Acrobat pro and outline the fonts save as a copy.

Open the original pdf in Illustrator and remove the heading with the font you do not have.

Open the outlined pdf and copy the outlined heading to the original pdf in illustrator.

Its a work around, this way only the font that is missing is outlined and the rest is kept as fonts.

Save the file either as an illustrator file or back to a PDF again.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 4:29 PM   in reply to mckayk_777

If you have Acrobat Pro it might be even easier if you delete everything except the text using the Object Edit tool. You might have to remove a few clipping paths first, if the text disappears with the rest -- that option is in the Object Edit right mouse menu.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points