Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

THANKS EVERYONE!  MY SHORT FILM TWITTER TIME IS NOW DONE!

Feb 29, 2012 9:30 AM

At long last, after some daunting technical challenges, my short film Twitter Time is complete.

I faced some withering criticism from members of this forum for shortcomings in the film.  I took this advice to heart and no person, in my view, can legitimately claim the first part is boring.  Quite the opposite!

I listed Bill Hunt, Colin Brougham, Jim Simon, Shooternz, robodog2 and joebloepremiere for a heartfelt thanks in the credits.

Thanks to all; you made it a much, much better film!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 29, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

============

Thanks to all; you made it a much, much better film!

==========

actually... Matt... YOU made it much better.  It is in fact much better.

my only criticism and it is very small one, cause what you did is OK.. it works OK...especially being the last clip - is this:

( take with grain of salt as its just my opinion.. and what you did actually WORKS ok...)

instead of that duplicate clip of you walking away from camera, into forest, uphill etc...which is about 10 secs maybe ?... maybe some still images of forests and maps of forests (topographical ? ), state park forest landcapes... in my head I see a whole bunch of images of forests and cool landscapes and medium shots and maps and they gradually get introduced to audience faster and faster and faster ....back to 'twitter time' overload....

so that way I start with your info overload and our general lack ability to focus and appreciation of what takes 'time'.. to taking time and appreciating it (where you take me after the intro ).. and at end instead of duplicate shot I get many shots of the beauty of forests, trees, land that is 'protected' and cared for by others like you, but oddly the end also pushes the 'twitter' theme.. by going faster and faster and faster... so I end up feeling very strongly that we need to slow down at end ...

Just a thought... and honestly I love what you did.. it is much better than before !  Good going !

ps.. i almost feel bad for having said this , cause its really good just the way it is...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to able123

what we wish and what we have

sometimes you live with what you have instead of what you wish...

my own experience with this " editing" fact of life... is that sometimes I want to put something somewhere on timeline but I simply dont have the shot... it wasn't given to me by the production, or I didnt get the shot myself ( if I was the one shooting it ).

for example, a little xmas tree camera test was 'supposed' to have a final shot of this sad little xmas tree in a home at night , decorated and lit up .. through a window ( looking from outside into house and seeing beautiful tree in window ).

so I have ...as final shot... cold outside, dark, looking at nice warm house ( to many this would mean ' home ' ).. with a transformed xmas tree.... sad to beautiful.

I never got the shot... nor did I find a still image on web that I could use in place of that shot...

So I ended the test movie without having the ending I wanted.

As far as I'm concerned, that's life.... and you end up with what you have... not what you wished for.

The only thing I can do if there is ever a 'next time' is get that shot when I can.... if I can.... and move on.

Sooooo, my above criticism re: the duplicate clip you have .... believe me... it works OK.. and I'm just sorta 'dreaming' at your expense when I offer any criticism at all...

I love what you did, great job, and thank you so much for sharing what you've done !

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

no person, in my view, can legitimately claim the first part is boring.

I may have to disappoint you on that front.  I think no matter what you do with the visuals, the music will kill it.  It's slow, repetitive, and dull.  It's the exact opposite of the mood you're trying to convey with the opening.

And to be honest, repeating leader countdowns aren't all that interesting.  You're trying to show how busy the lives of people have become, how short the average person's attention span has gotten.  To show that, you need people, not graphics and text.

I only got about a minute in this time before you lost me.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Matt, I congratulate you on completing the project, and for sticking your neck out for feedback and using the suggestions.

I agree with Jim re the counters etc. I was very motivated to see how the suggestions were integrated, but I only made it 1:10 in before I clicked ahead.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 4:46 PM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

Matt,

The great news is that you have completed the Project. I noticed that you were MIA around these parts, until recently, and assumed that you had locked yourself into your edit suite, and were not even accepting food (except for beer and wine).

Thank you for the "thanks," but in my case, that was totally unnecessary.

Gonna' go see how it came out!

Congratulations,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

A couple of questions, and one comment, please.

Is that a different soundtrack? I do not recall that in the earlier version. Sort of a Kitaro meets Philip Glass piece, and I liked it greatly.

Now, did you mean for the credits to pop into the Frame, and then Roll? Not sure that I would have done it that way - sort of real surprise. I thought that it was the streaming, but replayed that part several times, and the credits popped into the Frame at about the lower-third point. I think that I would have perhaps started those below the Frame, or would have Keyframed the Opacity, or maybe a Blur, to sort of "bring in" those credits.

That was all that I saw.

I liked the opening, as it had a few of the same elements that I used in an experimental film from back in 2001 - Melancoly World. Think that I sent a copy of that moldy-oldie to Rod (RoboDog, or Able 123 to his friends), or if not yet, will with the next shipment of American Cinematographer magazines. I find that the "ticker tape" look can be very effective, when used properly. Again, I liked that!

Will go back, play several more times, and might have more to add.

How are you planning on distributing?

Good luck with that part of the equation, and nice to see you back around.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

I have had a few films (back in my cine days), that got run through focus groups. Man, oh man, is that ever painful!!!!! However, if one can detach themselves (tough for an artist), and listen, and think, there CAN be good to come from that, though not always. Depends ON the focus groups, and how literate, and articulate, they are. Still, can offer improvements, especially when one is so very close to the subject.

Hunt

BTW - as you have been gone a bit, you do know that Able 123 is actually RoboDog 1 & 2, or Rod - right? He had issues with his forum account, so how sports a new screen name, and avatar.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 5:16 PM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

I also wanted to have the film in two very distinct parts; the first part about information overload and the exponential acceleration of experience and the second about humane responses to that, whether it be women, film, tree planting, a walk in the woods or anything to slow down time.

While I got that part, and intent, I wonder if maybe you should have filled the screen, near the end of the opening, with such info. While I liked the clean "framing" look, that might be lost on some others. I have found that with some audiences, one must rather "hit them over the head," just a bit more, than WE would like. Subtle is often lost on the masses, though I love it.

I could see the center area filling up with flashes of "headlines," sound bites, if you will, and then when the screen is filled, everything does a very slow fade to black. I do not want to adultrate your vision, and DO like the opening, but was just thinking, trying to put myself into the seats of "the audience." Doing so, at a frenetic pace, in total counter-point to the soundtrack could be a useful vehicle Faster and faster, and more cluttered, until BOOM - a beautiful, quiet forest - tension and counter-point builds and then... it ends, with the "message."

Just thinking here.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 5:32 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

With impactive, counter-point visuals, I would tend to disagree. The score is the "harbinger" of things to come. The messenger, running through the contemporary world, with a message of peace, tranquility and hope. I saw it as a very good counter-point, and an effective one.

My mind:

"Why is the music minimalistic, and not paced to the visual?"

Answer:

"Grasshopper, you will soon learn the message, if you are patient."

Other than showing more "chaos" initially, I rather liked the opening.

Just my personal observations, and aesthetic.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

I could not tear my eyes away. I fully expected to see Rod's RoboDog prance out (as a sprite), and then when my name came up, hike his leg on it...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Feb 29, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

A much, much improved effort from where you began.

Still not my deal... but your efforts are apparent on screen.

I'm afraid I'm too ADD to wait very long for things to develop (a point you are making),

but I still belong to the 'grab the viewer by the throat at the beginning' school of editing.

How can you change channels during the first 20 minutes of 'Saving Private Ryan'...

the answer is, you can't.

If you make the opening of a piece is visually and intellectually enticing enough,

you can get viewers like me to stick around when things begin to move more slowly

in the body where the main points are being made.

Nowdays, of course, that usually means quicker pacing.

The text overload opening is a good idea, but I would be compelled to integrate

'info overload' imagery into the opening sequence as well... and gradually

increase the pace until the 'overload' is broken by the slower pacing of the body.

Order and peace emerge from chaos.

Sort of 'Koyaanisqatsi' like.

Also, I wouldn't use any still images. A long, hand-held live hold would be better.

I appreciate your credit... but I'm not sure what I did to earn it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 6:14 PM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

An alternative, perhaps:

Fill that void with your messages, "Twitter Twitter," and "No one has time for a sound bite sound bite," over, and over, with perhaps differing placements and Opacity, until that field is filled up?

I agree with "tension," and find it too seldom in video work today.

The flow of the crawls was good, like a river. Then, the audience needs to hit unseen rapids!

Unlike some, I find the music score to be a good counter-point. The Parallax View did a good job with similar, in the drug-induced brain-washing scenes, with some slow Jim Morrison (IIRC), with flashes of very violent images, that ran counter to the score. I have that on DVD, so maybe should review it, to get the citations correct?

Going back many, many years, there was a great USC graduate film, Home is Where the Heart Is, that used a major counter-point score, agains building tension. The audience expected one thing, but got something totally different, and counter to that score. I listened, as about 350 people gasped at the unexpected (though not beyond prediction) happened.

IIRC, Apocalypse Now used similar, with music out of touch with some of the visual (Jim Morrison again?). Do not have that one on DVD, so can only go from memory.

Just thinking here.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

OK, I did not recognize the score from later versions. Let's chalk that up to my feeble memory. Still, I like it (as I mentioned, Kitaro meets Philip Glass).

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 7:20 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

re: the counter at beginning... it worked OK cause it kept repeating and getting faster...

normally counter is boring for me and just a cheap effect, but yours worked OK cause of the repeats and speed increases.

i was trying to read a lot of the text, and it was too much to keep up with, and the text chosen was disparate enough to get mssg across to me OK.

the subtle center mssgs ( twitter twitter etc ) worked as counterpoint to borders being used for scrolling text OK.

the incongruous use of still image of girl worked OK as I assumed 'something' about it ( about the person and your relationship to that person ).. and saw it as a very personal mssg that I may or may not appreciate accurately.. but it brought YOU into the equation in a way that was OK and enjoyed.

your title of this thread, " my short film twitter twitter is done "... is worth keeping in mind.

It means it is DONE.  although I blurted out something about that last clip it doesnt bother me that it is there.... its fine.

In terms of the total , I feel it is very well done and a substantial improvment from the earlier version(s)... and I also agree that it is DONE.  It feels DONE to me.  I like it.

As an "art" film , if we can use that word, I think if one out of 10 people who see it AND get something substantial emotionally and intellectually OUT of watching it, I would say that it is a very successful film....

So, I agree with you... your short film is done, and thanks a lot for sharing it here.  I hope I get to see more of your films in the future too.. good luck !

ps...

probably no film is really DONE in some ways...ever really done... but you know what I mean I hope.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 9:50 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

The score is the "harbinger" of things to come.

You mean boredom?  'Cause that's all I got from it.

(Sorry Matt, I just reeeally don't like that track.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

matt

some people dont have a clue what you're dealing with re: telling the 'story' you want. dont let it get to you.

its like putting on a play on broadway and getting some very bad reviews... or some very good reviews... it doesnt matter ...trust me... and take what you got out of this forum before ( when you asked us what was up and how we felt etc )... and move on.

dont bother justifying what you did and what you changed etc or it will go on forever with no real positive result for you as an artist at this point... you already DID that here.. and got what you needed... and DID what you had to do.

This film is done.. I love it and give you my love re: moving on now and thinking of your next project etc.  If I can help let me know and I will do what I can to help... but basically you have been successful with this and I hope you realize how good a job you did.

rod

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 4:15 PM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

Matt,

Though it post-dates McLuhan by some decades, with regard to Twitter, I feel that the "medium" is the ONLY message, and not a resounding one, at that. However, I come from a totally different time, and a different place. I find that I tend to completely tune out "sound bites," and have only seen a few Twitter feeds (mostly those, required of my wife, for editing purposes). What is it, one's life and entire being in 144 characters?

Now, this does show why I would never succeed in politics nowadays - an inability to communicate in 144 characters. Just ask Jim, and he will tell you the same thing...

"Hey! I'm eating a sandwich at ZenBurger. Whoopie!" Hm-m still have about 90 characters left. Maybe I could tell my faithful following exactly which burger I ordered, and am now eating? But then, I do not have enough characters to tell them about the texture of the bun, the succulent nature of the patty, or any of the condiments. I know, I'll just tweet again, and again and again. I am sure that everyone really cares, right? Sort of like the decoded messages from Little Orphan Annie to Ralphie, "Drink more Ovaltine... "

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 7:25 PM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

Though I have heard the name, I have not read Kurzweil.

I do not need to be merged with a machine, unless it would improve my failing memory, or receeding hairline.

Just did a survey for J D Power, on automobiles. My guess is that their client provides electronic interfaces for autos, and most of the questions were around incorporating aspects of "current technology," such as Twitter, FaceBook, et al, into the communications system in one's auto. Yeah right! Most people here cannot drive, when doing nothing else, and on a good day. Last bloody thing I want to see is an interface in an auto, that allows one to surf the Web, do FaceBook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc., while driving. I would also like to see all cell phones/smartphones self destruct, if used, while driving, and if the driver is injured, let that be a lesson. [Same thing if they are eating food, or putting on makeup, of FAX'ing their broker!]

No, we do NOT need more sound bites, or tweets, or similar. They are not going to make our lives any better. We need to absorb life around us, and enjoy its nuances. We do not need constant electronic stimulation, regardless of what a Disney site might indicate.

We were recently at Dead Horse Point, UT, surrounded by some of the most exquisite scenery that the US (and possibly the world) has to offer. A family in a van arrived. The kids in the back were watching some DVD's on the "rear seat entertainment center," and would not even get out to look over the edge. I asked how the kids were enjoying the auto trip to the Southwest, and the mother commented, "So long as they have Cars II on the DVD player, they are loving it." Hm-m-m, the real world is passing them by, and they want to watch a DVD of a movie, that they have already seen. What was wrong with that picture? However, there are some subtle messages in that film, and they are anti-free market/capitalism, so someone IS getting their message across to the younger set.

Let's all check Twitter, to see what "those, who matter," are tweeting... could be something useful, though not very likely. "Drink more Ovaltine... "

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 7:53 PM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

Read the cover sheet/prelude, and had some visions.

When electronic components have been implanted into humans, to allow them to tweet, just by thinking, etc., what happens when a nefarious force takes over control of those components? Makes 1984 read like a children's book.

We have been seeing similar, without those electronic components, via Public Relations, for some time - like for the last 100 years. All it takes is a little "nudge" in the right media outlets, to sway public opinion - think the Overton window. Are you familiar with Edward Louis Bernays?

Think of how easy it would be, if one had the "universal remote control," to program all those electronic components. But, that could never happen. Right? First the bar code tattoo on the back of the neck, and then the little implant, that will enrich everyone's life.

Would you believe that there are proposals to implant chips in children, to track their caloric intake, to combat "childhood obesity," which is being cast as a national catastrophe in the US? Ostensibly, those chips would only provide data to the CDC, or to some other "health" organization, but then each child would be monitored, and reports would be filed, should their caloric intake be deemed too great. What would happen, if it did - a visit to their home by the "calorie police?" What if those chips were actually two-way? Who would control the remote? What could/would they do? Of course, it would all be "for the good of the children," and "the good of the majority," right?

Most common media depict common scenes of evil corporate entities seizing control, for capitalistic purposes, but what if it was a government, working with a good PR campaign ("it's all about the children."), who seized control?

Nah, Twitter Time resonated with me. Maybe I overlooked some technical and aesthetic aspects, as I GOT the message, or at least part of it.

Good work,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Mar 14, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Alvin Toffler got it right in 1970.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Yes, Future Shock was a great read.

I got to hear him at a healthcare symposium many years ago, and enjoyed the program. He focused mainly on healthcare and healthcare delivery, but did bring some of his theories and observations into play. Would have loved to have had him at our dinner table that night, but at least my wife got some time in the Q & A session. Great stuff.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Mar 14, 2012 5:25 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Yes, Future Shock was a great read.

I read my paperback copy until it was thouroughly dog-eared, then handed it off to my sons.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points