Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Detecting turning to a page

Jan 23, 2012 3:27 AM

Tags: #edge #api #html5 #preload

So new DPS introduced animation preload.

We are making HTML5 animations in Adobe Edge and including them into InDesign, and now when you look at, say, page one, all other animations are already preloaded and starts playing, which is unacceptable.

Is there any way to trace (via API or other ways) if we are currently looking at a page to tell Edge to start?

And which is more important - is there Adobe DSP html5 API to work with?

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 27, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to Nik Ska

This is currently a known issue. I'm not sure when it will be resolved.

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Jan 27, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to Nik Ska

I have noticed that weeks ago. But how can I add an Edge animation on page 7 if it starts to play even before reaching page 7? Should I add a trigger button so the user makes the animation start when he displays page 7 ? I don't understand why a Load on Page would be so difficult to do.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 30, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to Nik Ska

This bug is scheduled to be fixed for v19 in February. The only workaround I can think of is to turn off Auto Play, but then you force users to tap an area to start the animation.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to Nik Ska

What if you add a delay of 0.01 sec to the web content?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to Nik Ska

We've been investigating this issue internally, and believe we have a temporary workaround. Can you try setting the delay on the web overlay to some number larger than zero (perhaps 0.0001) and see if that resolves your issue?

Thanks!

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Nik Ska

Thanks for the quick reply, Nik. I also tried it and saw the same behaviour. I'll get back with the developer and we'll continue investigating.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to missamo80

Nik,

What device were you using to test out the delay workaround? Did you upload the updated folio and then view it on an ipad? Or were you in the desktop previewer or on an Android device?

Thanks,

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to Nik Ska

Thanks. Can you double-check that you were updating the folio in Folio Builder after making the change? We're able to confirm the workaround on our end, however we did forget to update the folio in FB once and thought it wasn't working

If you find it still isn't working when you verify tomorrow would you mind sending me your InDesign file? My address is listed in my profile. Thanks!

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to Nik Ska

Noticed that the delay thing helped but not solved the problem. Better in iPad 1, but iPad 2 hopeless, still no good.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to PreMedia2784

PreMedia, can you please provide more details on what specifically you tried to set and what behaviour you saw on ipad 2? If you set the delay in the Web Overlay panel to 0.125 and are careful to update the article in folio builder you should see the correct, start on page load, behaviour

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Hi Neil,

Has this issue now been fixed with new v19? I mean do we still have to set the delay or does web content load when the page is viewed (if set to auto play with 0 delay)?

Cheers, Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to tony kamberi ug

You still have to set the delay. I will admit the UI is rather, ah, unfortunate but the best way to think of it is "set auto play with non-zero delay" means "load when page is viewed".

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 5:55 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

The problem with that is not the delay (which can be 0.125) but with the web content starting to load when that 0.125 is done, which sometimes means another 2 or more seconds if you have an animation that is complicated. Is there a way to preload web content but have it play after 0.125 secs?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 6:03 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Its a simple animation with moving fading type built in Adobe Edge Preview. Not using the latest DPS tools but the one before that (compatible withe the downloaded Adobe Viewer).

Seems it may be an Adobe Edge problem as animations we have created with another editor work okay.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 6:12 PM   in reply to tony kamberi ug

tony kamberi ug wrote:

The problem with that is not the delay (which can be 0.125) but with the web content starting to load when that 0.125 is done, which sometimes means another 2 or more seconds if you have an animation that is complicated. Is there a way to preload web content but have it play after 0.125 secs?

Not currently, but it's on my list to try and get done in Release 20. It's more work than you'd think to switch up the UI so it's abundantly clear how to do "pre-load" vs. "auto-play", but I do hope we can get rid of the one second+ wait that's always there before the content appears. If we can do that, at least the delay before display will only be 0.125 seconds.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 6:27 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Very good to hear that the loading times of HTML will be improved, Neil.

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 6:32 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Note that I said "try to get done"

Neil

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)