Skip navigation
drstrong01
Currently Being Moderated

Looking for recommendation on a prefab computers to run CS5.5

Mar 14, 2012 1:19 AM

Tags: #hardware #new #computer #recommendation

I'm upgrading to CS5.5 (plan to use both Premeire Pro and After Effects) in the immediate future, and thought it would be a good excuse to upgrade my 5 year old hardware as well.

I don't have the time/energy/experience to deal with building my own system, so would prefer purchasing a prefab system, but I can't decide on which to buy.  Obviously I know the official list of system requirements produced by Adobe, but I was hoping for specific recommendations of a system that's known to work really well with CS.  I've stumbled across the Protus from Digital Storm (which specifically advertises that it's "optimized for CS5"), but the base price of $3500 was a bit more than I planned to spend.

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2012 2:26 AM   in reply to drstrong01

Try http://www.adkvideoediting.com/

Digital Storm only has old technology (i7-990/X58) at premium prices. Way overpriced for such an old system.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

+1 on ADK!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to drstrong01

cyberpowerpc.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to Gf1317

Cannot recommend that vendor for two reasons:

1) A long (and still ongoing) history of sloppy assembly quality. Many of the PCs shipped from CyberPower have suffered from many DOA parts and screws that were either very loose or have even fallen off unto the PC's innards, damaging almost every single vital part.

2) They never disclose which brand or model of PSU is used in their PCs. They disclose only the wattage rating. Unfortunately, they usually ship their systems with some of the absolute worst (poorest) quality PSUs in each and every wattage point. For example, one 850W PSU on one of their PCs could barely handle even 450W before exploding into flames.

As such, chalk them down as a vendor that spends so much money on the core components (CPU, GPU, motherboard and RAM) that they leave almost no room whatsoever in the build budget for even a halfway decent PSU or case or for any kind of assembly labor quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:30 PM   in reply to drstrong01

One more vote for ADK! They have some reasonable systems that are very well thought out for CS5 / CS5.5 and their support is highly rated as well.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:34 PM   in reply to JEShort01

All it took was a long chat with Eric and I knew they were the company to build my system. They know video, Premiere and their "stuff".

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points