Skip navigation
ericthevideoeditor
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Driver Update Problem

Mar 14, 2012 7:23 PM

Tags: #problem #help #error #issue #adobe #9 #video #premiere #crash #elements #problems #premiere_elements #premiere_elements_9 #elements_9

I have had Adobe Premiere Elements 9 for almost a year now, and I had just made a movie with my friends.  When I go to launch Premiere Elements it says "Incompatible display driver, please update your display driver.  I am on a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop. (I know, it is not a great computer for video editing, but it is what I am stuck with.) I have tried to delete the BadDrivers.txt file and it is still no use.  I have also reinstalled my drivers (there were no updates after 2008) I have been able to use Premiere Elements perfectly until today.  I don't know what is going on, so somebody please help me.

Thanks,

Eric

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2012 8:18 PM   in reply to ericthevideoeditor

If you did all the steps in the FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/769303 my best GUESS is that a Windows update has caused a problem

Do you have a Windows restore point so you may roll back to before your last automatic update?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 8:25 PM   in reply to ericthevideoeditor

You need to update the video driver, and then remove the BadDirver.txt file. Just removing the txt file is not enough.

Go to the Dell site, plug in your video card, and your OS, and then download and install their latest driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 10:20 PM   in reply to ericthevideoeditor

What is the make/model of your video card?

Not having a driver update, since 2000 does not bode well. nVidia and ATI/AMD update about once per month, so you would effectively be about 175 driver updates behind.

Also, do you have a laptop, or desktop? If the latter, it might well be time to upgrade your video card.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 5:07 AM   in reply to ericthevideoeditor

That machine is pretty underpowered for PRE, as you acknowledged, so it could just be that your current project is too large or more complex than your previous successful projects. The maximum memory is only 2GB and that is barely enough to start PRE on top of Windows itself.

But, encouraged by the fact you have had successful projects, I'd first look at how much defragmented disk space you have. Really you should be looking for at least 40GB free and defragged. That your machine supports only a maximum 100GB drive strongly suggests to me that you just don't have enough available.

For general disk space cleaning take a look here: Re: Clean, Lean & Mean Editing Machine - One Workflow. Check out the rest of that discussion - lots of good advice on optimizing a PC.

For PRE specific cleaning I suggest you remove all cache files through Edit> Preferences> Media> Clean.

Also look to your past complete projects. Consider using the Project Archiver to archive off completed projects to an external hard drive, and then delete the Adobe working folders for those projects (much easier if you have managed each project through a project specific folder). You  can also manually check for the working file folders by looking for their folder names:

1.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to ericthevideoeditor

>nVidia drivers work with the Intel

No

Have you gone to the Intel site for the video chip on your laptop motherboard?

Updates for laptop video chips are problematic, so I really don't know what else to say

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to ericthevideoeditor

As John T. points out, one needs the specific video driver for the chip. With Dell, the Intel (and also nVidia and ATI/AMD) drivers will be re-packaged, to work best with their version of Windows, and their implementation of the hardware. Still, with an older driver, you might find an upgrade on the Intel site.

Unfortunately, while Intel makes great chips, they have very poor driver support. That is why I do not recommend that one go with Intel graphics chips for Video editing, or even if one is using PhotoShop for Image editing. Both nVidia and ATI/AMD have great driver support, and that is why I recommend them.

I wish you luck with the Intel graphics chip, and hope that you can find an updated driver, but I would not anticipate that you will, especially for an older Intel chip.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to ericthevideoeditor

The drivers you have (2008) were the last drivers available for XP on your machine. Did disk cleanup help?

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 3:59 AM   in reply to nealeh

What is the text inside the BadDrivers.txt?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to ericthevideoeditor

I think you need to uninstall latest windows updates. That's what must have caused the problem.

-Aniks

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points