Skip navigation
Katie McQ
Currently Being Moderated

Unrecoverable error

Mar 15, 2012 11:48 AM

Trying to edit photos in Photoshop Elements 3.0 and got message "Unable to continue because of a hardware or system error.  Sorry, but this error is unrecoverable.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to Katie McQ

In many cases, resetting the preferences fixes this issue.

Hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift when launching Photoshop Elements, if you get the timing right, you will be prompted to delete the setting file. Do so.

If you cannot get the dialog to appear, you can delete the file manually: C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Photoshop Elements\[Version Number]\

Move the [Version Number] folder to the desktop and retry launching Photoshop Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 9:14 PM   in reply to Katie McQ

Definetly time to get a newer version. I paid $15 with free shipping on Ebay for my PSE9 which was in a digital suite bundle with 2 other programs I probably won't use.......new.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to calpics

Well, the newer version will probably not run into this error. Let us know if you have any further troubles.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 1:45 AM   in reply to Brett N

I have the same issue with Photoshop Elements 8: after starting I have Unable to continue because of hardware or system error. Which file do I have to remove?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to canon1968

Same instructions for you Canon, remove the Preference file, the instructions above work for any version.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points