Skip navigation
dbeckemeyer
Currently Being Moderated

Layers, Colors, and Exporting

Mar 11, 2012 3:52 PM

I got a couple iPads in a competition recently and I'm interested in this app to expand my artwork. Upon researching about it, I've noticed much of the user experience reviews are around a year old or so - and in the world of technology, that's a lifetime.

1.  I'm curious to how the layer system is currently. If I were to buy this today for Apple iOS, how many drawing layers will I get with version 1.2? And how many are available for in-app purchasing?

2.  About the color system - is that controlled by Kuler, or how does that work?  Can I specify my own custom colors?

3.  As far as "exporting" to work/finish in other software, such as Illustrator, is it as easy as emailing the .pdf from Ideas and simply opening in Illustrator? No plugins required?

I'm really excited to work with Ideas seeing my favorite tool in Illustrator is the Blob Brush, and I'm looking forward to showcasing my work to demonstrate the app's capabilities. My current portfolio can be found here.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to dbeckemeyer

Hi Dan,

1. The app natively includes two layers, a drawing and a photo layer. On iOS there is an option for an in app purchase of 9 additional drawing layers for .99 cents.

2. In the app there is an artists palette icon that when clicked, opens a color selection window with a slider along the bottom for selecting the color (within the color spectrum) and a large box above for selecting that color mixed with varying degrees of white or black (similar to what’s found in Adobe desktop apps). There is also an option for selecting the current color from a 5 color theme. Themes can be created by selecting colors within an image from Camera Roll or live camera shot from the tablet. Active theme is displayed right below the color selection icon in the interface for quick use.

3.  The output options are either to email a jpeg or save to Camera Roll.

We also have an ideas FAQ here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeideas/faq.html

Hope the info helps, nice portfolio

-Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 2:26 AM   in reply to dbeckemeyer

Hi Dave

I appreciate that you take the time to reply on these forums but when are you (and every other Adobe employee) going to stop ignoring loyal and justifiably angry customers who want some kind of update and reassurance that Adobe Ideas for Android is going to get some support?

Countless people have asked about layers on android and we just get ignored or worse fobbed off with a reply that avoids answering the question.

Many of us would like to know about pressure sensitivity and some about node editting but all of this gets ignored too.

Here's  hoping that you will show us the respect of a considered and informative reply.

Regards

Terry

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to David__B

David__B wrote:

Hi Dan,

1. The app natively includes two layers, a drawing and a photo layer. On iOS there is an option for an in app purchase of 9 additional drawing layers for .99 cents.

First thing I have heard that makes me wish I had an iPad. The lack of more layers has pretty much killed my interest in Ideas, haven't touched it since a few days after android release. Its just rather frustrating to accidentally clip something I already got the way that I wanted.

I use photoshop touch almost daily because I don't have to worry about messing up work I have already done. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to Slynch1234

Still being ignored!

Ignored on Adobe Ideas' facebook page. Ignored in two forums here!

Who do I have to talk to to get some kind of customer service?

Can you blame me for being annoyed and frustrated?

|
    Mark as:
  • Takashi Morifusa
    87 posts
    Nov 12, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to TFreelander

TFreelander,

Sorry about that your feeling.

We are hearing #1 feature request for support multiple drawing layers for Android tablet customers. Also, we hear request to support Android Smart Phone and smaller size Android Tablet too. Also, from iOS customers, we hear different feature requests.

Unfortunatly, current feature set for iOS and Android version is not extact matching one to one.

We are putting those customers feature requests into priority order to implement for the future release.

Best regards,

Takashi

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to Takashi Morifusa

Arigato Takashi

Here's hoping that layers for Android arrives soon.

Kind Regards

Terry

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 5:30 PM   in reply to Takashi Morifusa

Any chance you will be communicating what the priority of the features  will be?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to Slynch1234

The development team looks at customer feedback here on the forums under the ideas section and ideas (feature requests) which are getting a lot of votes but Adobe doesn't generally anounce priority or development plans of products.

-Dave

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 3:01 AM   in reply to David__B

Nearly 2 months since my last post and still no update.

The patience of many customers is wearing incredibly thin.

When will the adobe ideas team get their fingers out of their proverbials?

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to David__B

Well if the development team is looking at this then they've already seen where I stand and I am not the only one.

There is no excuse for Ideas for Android to not have any substantial updates six months after its release. The bugfix release of 1.5.1 doesn't even remotely begin to count given the flaws in Ideas.

There is no excuse for charging $10 for an app with less functionality than the free version released for the iPod Touch years ago. At least on that version you could save your idea as a PDF, here you can't even do that. Instead we have to use idea files which are only usable in Illustrator CS5, thus making this application nothing more than an overpriced accessory to an already expensive application.

There is no excuse for Ideas to not be able to import the colour swatches made in the Kuler touch app and only from the Creative Cloud (it tries but all I get is a strip of white).

There is no excuse for the lack of feature parity between Android and iOS six months after release.

The fact that we have received no word from the development team or anyone at Adobe regarding any of these issues is maddening. In fact, Takashi is the first person I've seen actually address any of these concerns (thank you for doing so, by the way). Kim posted on the forums a while back explaining how Android's version is starting where the iOS version did but come on, that's a terrible excuse when you advertise this amazingly powerful app and fail to deliver. If we had more communication or even the slightest bit of assuance that Adobe didn't just take our money and run then that might stem the tide of the alarmingly terrible PR it's getting from its justifiably angry customers.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to coinopbear

And well, nine months after, it's still the same, no Adobe Ideas with layers for us :/   At least if I could speak to any team developer in there, to ask what are they planning to do and when, I wouldn't feel so cheated by Adobe...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points