Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

v18: Embedded overlays in slideshows

Jan 17, 2012 7:13 PM

Tags: #ipad #indesign_cs5.5 #v18

I set up v18 (InDesgin CS5.5/Mac),

and tried  "Embedded overlays in slideshows" and viewd in customized app build by viewer builder v1.8 on iPad.

Image Sequence, Panorama, Web Contents, Video, Audio are works well on slideshow,

but Scrollable frame dosen't work.

Scrollable frame ( created using Pan only and content is only text) in slideshows works well on contenet viewer on Mac.

but on iPad the content text doesn't appear, just empty frame is scrollable.

How did I mistake?

shimoawazu

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 18, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to shimoawazu

I've experienced problems with scrollable frames embedded in slideshows as well, but I've also had success. I'll investigate.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to shimoawazu

Hi.

I have the same problems with scrollable frames in MSO. The content viewer on my Mac is displaying scrollable text as a part of an MSO slide.

But on my iPad the frame scrolls and the text is not displayed.

Can it be a problem with the Adobe Viewer application on the iPad?

@ Bob: Do you know about this problem and is it probably fixed with the update on January 26th?

In my testings I found a workaround to get the text displayed but it is more a hack.

How to get it work:

1. create a container-frame for the textobject, for example with a background color, later convert this frame to a pan-object

2. create an empty textframe as container for the scrollable object

3. create a textframe with the scrollable text

4. convert the textframe with the text into a button-object, it is important to make the button interactive, it has to realease an action like "go to state"

5. copy the empty textframe (step 2) inside of the container-frame

6. click inside the empty textframe which is inside the container frame and paste the button-text-object (step 3/4) inside the text as an anchor-object

7. the button is loosing its interactivity now

8. select the button-text-object and assign an action again (for example a "go to state" action which is triggering another invisible MSO)

9. add any other object to create an MSO

This procedure is very complex but it works.

Hopefully the central issue with scrollable frames inside an MSO will be dissolved soon.

Thanks for any help.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 24, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to kk-1212

Here's what I've noticed in my testing:

• Scrollable frames embedded in slideshows work in the desktop viewer but not on the iPad viewer.

• Buttons that jump to MSO states lose their appearance if they appear outside the container frame in a scrollable frame. The workaround is to combine button images with invisible buttons.

• Buttons that interact with sounds and movies should be on the same level — MSO state or layout page — as the media file.

• Image pans appear to be more restricted when they're embedded in an MSO.

• Embedded sounds continue playing when you move to the next slide as they do when you swipe to the next page. The workaround is to create a dummy sound.

I plan to discuss these issues with the program team. Fixes to these issues won't happen until at least the February release. The upcoming hot fix doesn't affect the authoring tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thank you very much for your testing information.

So we will have to wait for the next release to get the necessary bugfixes.

f.y.i.

I also figured out that buttons inside of MSOs, that are calling a state of the same MSO, only work

if there is also a button outside the MSO that triggers the states. The button on the outside can be invisible.

It does not have to be directly touchable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob, I am afraid there more mishaps.

There is discussion here on the forum about fade-ins in slideshows. I am testing it right now. There are several combinations to make an autoplay fade-in work in desktop viewer, but none of them works on the iPad.

Typically, after proper fade-in I get also some fade-out before the slideshow stops. As the procedure is called crossfade, I suspect that instead of stopping on the last state as intended, it also proceeds with half of the crossfade which would be used going to the next state. As i said, the desktop viewer behaves OK in this situation.

Tomek

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 24, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to kk-1212

Right, or you can select an option in the Overlays panel such as Swipe to "register" the MSO.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 24, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Another known issue is that moving the container frame -- even nudging it by one pixel -- clears an MSO button action. This is actually an InDesign bug, not a DPS bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to shimoawazu

Hi, I have another situation beyond that hidden scroll text in slideshow,

When I use scrollable text in Pan Only, the results are not sure, Sometimes works, sometimes not.

Please, see the imagens below. Both  are in the same Pan Only, but the first one dosen´t work well, just the second. I tried with another image/text but the resulted is always the reduced content

scroll_error1.jpg

scroll_error2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 29, 2012 10:01 PM   in reply to shimoawazu

I'll let you know when I get more concrete information about bug fixes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 4:04 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hello Bob,

you talked about "register the MSO".

Can you give me some more infos about that?

At the moment I have the problem, that InDesign is crashing if I have an article in landscape and portrait format,

inside this article is one MSO with buttons inside. These MSO is registered with a button outside of the MSO.

This solution works fine as long as I only upload the landscape or the horizontal version. If i upload both versions InDesign

crashes and is shutting down. That only happens if there are those "dummy-buttons" in both versions of the article.

Do you know this bug?

I would be happy for an answer.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 6, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to kk-1212

When an MSO isn't activated in some way, it doesn't appear as a slideshow in the article. Instead, only the current state appears. You need to take some action to "register" or activate the MSO. The easiest way is to turn on Auto Play, Tap to Play, or Swipe in the Overlay Creator panel. If you don't want to use any of those settings, you can activate the MSO with an invisible button, as you've done.

I haven't heard of the issues you've encountered. InDesign shouldn't be crashing like that. Try removing InDesign preferences. Or, it could be a document corruption problem. If removing ID preferences doesn't work, try exporting your documents as IDML, open and save them again, and then re-create the articles.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks for your Tips. For the original documents none of your advices is working. neighter deleting the preferences nor exporting as idml.

I will do further tests to solve the problem.

Could it help to post the error-report for more informations?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Any new ideas on getting scrollable frames to work inside of a MSO?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 15, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to T Clemente

It works fine with the v19 tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Works on desktop viewer fine, same as v18.  However it still doesnt work on the iPad, same as v18 viewer.  I have v19 tools v19 builder and built a v19 content viewer and still no scroll.  The MSO works fine however the scrollable fram will not scroll. 

I've tried constructing my scrollable frame first.  Preview it sucsessfully as a stand alone overlay.  Then I create a MSO with my scrollable frame as one state in the MSO.  Previews sucsessfully on desktop.  When I preview on the iPad however the copy in the scrollable frame is static and does not scroll. 

I also tried constructing my MSO first with an empty frame as one state of the MSO.  Then cutting my desired copy text and pasting directly into the individual state of the MSO.  Still same behavior.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 15, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to T Clemente

Have you tried adding the scrollable frame overlay to MSO using the Add button? Move the scrollable frame over the blank MSO state, select both the scrollable frame and the MSO, and click the Add button (not the New button) in the Object States panel. I just did it and it worked fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob, if you still have access to my museum folio, check the horizontal page with Liberator bomber.

It is an MSO with embeded scrollable frame. It worked ok. after renaming trick in v.18 but it stopped working in v.19.

I checked it after T Clemente's post – not working!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks Bob.  I had high hopes for that "add" solution but after trying myself I see the same behavior.  Works on the desktop but not on the iPad. Hmm...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to T Clemente

I can confirm this bug.

My previously working solution (in v.18) stopped working in v.19 and a newly made one doesn't work in v.19

Both work correctly in desktop viewer.

Tomek

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to Tomek Kuczborski

Tomek... I have never been able to sucsessfully get scrolling frames to work in an MSO.  I am suprised to hear you had it working on v18 at all. 

My work around has been using a web overlay as one one of my states in the MSO.  I simply paste my copy into the body section of a freash Dreamweaver file and saved the HTML in the local stack "links" resources.  I also uploaded the file to HTML resources.  You can apply some simple style tags to the body copy in HTML if you have the HTML know-how to style the copy.

I have not tested this on v19 to see if this work around is still relavent however.

-T

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to T Clemente

I created one page with 2 state MSO, where in one state I put a box with scrolling text & line art grouped together and pasted into the box. In v.18 it worked fine in the desktop viewer and also via USB on iPad directly. I was only able to get it working via cloud distribution after using the trick with renaming the container frame and the content frame (in layers panel) from their default names to something arbitrary. Now, in v.19 it's not working anymore. And it even does not work via USB.

Tomek

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 15, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to Tomek Kuczborski

Yes, I just confirmed that scrollable frames in MSOs used to work with v18 and now it's broken. Should be fixed soon...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to Tomek Kuczborski

Guess I gave up too easily on v18.  This is the first I am hearing of this renaming trick, wish I would have looked harder for that.

Bob.... Will the bug fix also fix the having to perform the renaming trick or just make it so that the renaming trick will work on v19?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 15, 2012 5:02 PM   in reply to T Clemente

It should fix the problem outright. I'll let you know when I hear something.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to shimoawazu

Hi Bob, I scanned this post. and am having a similar issue with a sequence inside a scrollable frame. I created the sequence, pasted into the container and used the scrollable selection in the overlay panel to create a scrollable frame. THe sequence works on the preview on the mac and is scrollable, but it displays as an empty scrollable frame on the ipad. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Don

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to bats_019

I have to do a slideshow with some overlay (video, scrollable frame, pan, slideshow) controlled by buttons. All works but i have a problem with the last: an overlay slideshow (a really basic slideshow with 8 images in autoplay). Is it possible to use a slideshow embedded in a big overlay slideshow?  Again thanks to all for this great forum! f

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to Folobo

No, you cannot put a slideshow into a slideshow.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 4:36 AM   in reply to Folobo

@Folobo – it seems to be possible; but only with scripting. See the following thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1039533?tstart=0

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 6:53 AM   in reply to Laubender

Hi all, i'm again here with a small problem.

I have 3 fullpage mso (triggered with some buttons) that scrolling in a big orizontal scrolling frame.

Every scrolling frame have a vertical pullout that contain an autoplay slideshow.

I renamed each item in layers panel with a correct name (see: http://blogs.adobe.com/jlockman/2012/02/08/nested-overlay-solution-for -dps/) but all slideshow do not work. I try also to place a button over the slideshow with the action go to next state - but nothing...

(The rest work well).

Ideas?

Many thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to Folobo

Please start a new thread with some screenshots.

It's impossible to tell what you're trying to do from the above description.

Also, please keep in mind that DPS is a fast moving target. Referring to threads and blog posts that are more than year old is only going to hold you back.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Ok Bob! Thanks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status