Skip navigation
ps-upgrade-ripoff-meh
Currently Being Moderated

10 Years of upgrades, now I am meh'ed off.

Mar 15, 2012 5:06 AM

Can anyone provide a plausible answer as to why it costs the equivalent of USD $314 to upgrade my Photoshop CS3 to CS5 as a download?

I can go to the adobe.com site, and there is it for USD $199, but when I try to buy it, it will not accept my purchase.

+ there is a discount that makes it $159!

Hey I want the software cheaper like the next guy, but to make me feel like I'm getting totally ripped off is really rather uncool, to say the least.

In fact, it's as if Adobe think I'm completely unaware of this, but it's only a /au/ away! (plus a flash site, don't get me started).

How about normalising the software price, or keeping some kind of parity? At least treat your customers as global citizens for downloads, not hold us in contempt.

I for one am not going to upgrade based just on principle now, after 10 years of paying for this software upgrade path, this morning was the limit.

Enough is enough.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to ps-upgrade-ripoff-meh

Sounds like your not from the USA, I can't tell where, maybe Australia? Maybe there is some sort of tax / duty that your country imposes on the sale from other countries. Europe has their VAT fees.

You could see if you can buy it over the net from Ebay, B&H photo, or some other third party reseller.

I doubt that Adobe is singling you out and trying to squeeze out more $$. I suspect that there are other elements involved here.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to ps-upgrade-ripoff-meh

I have an acquaintance in Tasmania who complained about the very same problem with all sorts of products, Nikon, Epson and so on.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 15, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to ps-upgrade-ripoff-meh

Beyond offering sympathy and understanding, we fellow users can't really provide much help on this.  Like you, I'm scratching my head over why Adobe would want to follow such a policy.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

The costs for shipping!

For James Cook, it took six months, sailing to Tasmania.

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

For Cook, 6 mo. For me 50x10^-3 sec! 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Approx!

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,970 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Mar 15, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

I source my Adobe apps from the Oz site as well, and it can be a painful process.  Having preciously used student versions, a full version of PS CS5 cost me >NZ$1600!  The full price on Amazon is US$699 (NZ$852 at current exchange rate)   In the same time period I had to get full versions Premiere Pro and inDesign CS5, plus LR3 which together came to NZ$4500. (US$3700)!  

With the strong NZ$ I should be looking at savings, NOT price hikes.   I am effectively paying TWICE AS MUCH as folk in the USA!!! This same argument often crops up from people in the UK, and I have never heard any reason for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to ps-upgrade-ripoff-meh

>

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html = 199USD

So what happens if you buy it off of the US site?

Can you buy it from third party vendors at the $199 price?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Is there duty or import tax added in N.Z?

O.T. New Zealand is probably my most coveted destination. I'd live there given 1/2 the chance. Also, my all time favorite soprano, Kiri Tekanawa, is from N.Z. Magnificient voice.

What a country!

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,970 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Mar 15, 2012 6:17 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Hudechrome wrote:

Is there duty or import tax added in N.Z?

O.T. New Zealand is probably my most coveted destination. I'd live there given 1/2 the chance. Also, my all time favorite soprano, Kiri Tekanawa, is from N.Z. Magnificient voice.

What a country!

Yes there is import duty, which kicks in at about NZ$1000, but gennerally ignored.  I brought a Bowens Travel Kit back from a UK trip a few years ago (literally half the price there) and got away with excess baggage _and_ duty.  I was pretty pleased.

I have tried sourcing from the US, but it just won't let me.    I'd love to know why Adobe thinks it is OK to ripp off folk outside the USA?

My wife and I did a top of the south island tour finishing a week ago, and had a great time.  I've only put five images up since getting home (two big photo jobs since then), but I have a few more decent images when I get round to it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevor-dennis/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 12:43 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

There have been a couple of previous threads on the issue of international price-differences.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4017426#4017426

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4115761#4115761

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/pricing_in_austr alia

But I can’t recall any Adobe employees chiming in, so I suspect they may not be at liberty to discuss pricing policy in public.

Anyway, I seem to remember arguments (in connection with the different legal frameworks of the various markets for example) that were made to explain part of the difference did not seem to impress the affected customers much, so there is probably little point in Adobe employees offering explanations that might well be dismissed anyway.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points