Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Rendered Credit Rolls Aren't Smooth

Mar 15, 2012 6:34 AM

This is more of a statement of disappointment, and/or challenge that I'm issuing rather than a question. Prove me wrong here, but no matter how I modify my credit rolls font or speed, and render settings I cannot get a SMOOTH credit roll. I'm very disappointed with Adobe on this and I get much better results in Sony Vegas. I've read a number of suggestions and NOTHING helped. Anyone want to step up to the plate here? Unfortunately for me I'm not getting paid from Sony to say this.

If you can prove me wrong and lead me from the error of my ways I'll gladly follow. I would prefer doing this in PP in the future.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to dstack1014

What are the project settings? I only work with interlaced formats - 1080i for instance - and my credit rolls are smooth as can be. I imagine that progressive formats may be a bit rougher, or maybe viewing on the progressive computer screen has something to do with it. Have you actually created a DVD or Blu-ray to check final quality on a TV set? In the Program Monitor window, is Playback Resolution set to FULL? I use the Matrox MXO2 Mini hardware and so my 1080i credit roll goes LIVE from the Premiere Sequence straight out to a full HD display via HDMI and looks sweet in realtime. Super smooth

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to dstack1014

Check your playback settings to be sure you're looking at both fields when you preview the rolls. Also, avoid using serif fonts or very thin font styles in an interlaced sequence.

Other than that, nothing comes to mind. One thing I've never had issue with in PPro is the scrolling/rolling title appearance...always smooth for me.

Hope this helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to dstack1014

Right-click in Program Monitor window, that is where you can see playback quality options in Premiere itself

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to dstack1014

What does it look like when exported? If the same as preview, can you post a short clip?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to dstack1014

May I suggest testing using an old-fashioned CRT? I get all kinds of weirdness when sending NTSC to an HD display, so I still keep a CRT on hand for quality-checking the occasional SD project. You never know what the monitor is doing in terms of scaling or whatever that will not show the true source quality. Could be that simple, that the DISPLAY is the culprit.Or is the 34" a CRT?

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to dstack1014

Viewed with VLC on Wndows 7.

While the Vegas is better, both do not look good and both show jerkiness.

Will any roll look good at that speed?

I can't find a good link, but try this one?

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/978943

What speed are you using? How does it look slowed down?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to dstack1014

Hi,

My experience with credit rolls are sometimes painful like yours. But Jeff is correct in saying the CRT will give you the best look in a SD output. All LCD's are progressive based, so you will get a jumpyness to your roll in an intelaced sequence. If your airing on Discovery Channel, why are you editing in SD?? Maybe try asking if they will except a SD 29.97 progressive file. PP can do a custom setup for your project in that mode. Maybe that would help?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 7:05 PM   in reply to dstack1014

Hi,

Well, some people still have CRT's in there home. I have an HD monitor in my family room, but a CRT in my bedroom. Even though alot of people have HD monitors, they still aren't paying for the HD service from their provider. So that brings up lots of issues and how things look within our post production world. Title safe areas and frame rates are the start. But thats a whole different subject.

The reasoning behind looking at your credit roll on a CRT is because it is an interlaced based monitor. I'm assuming your SD project is interlaced, (field based) so thats why you will get the best results on it.

You can never control what kind of monitors people have or what your work will look like on them. You just have to trust that what you are outputting will be the purest it can be on your end. Hence, looking at the correct monitor for your standard of editing and output, interlaced vs progressive.

Pete

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points