Skip navigation
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to JSpragens

Well I dont believe there is a magic bullet for that project. You should be fine on future projects though and that one is completed. It just may be a corrupted project file.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to JSpragens

Have you tried keeping the ATI installed in slot 1 and Nvidia in slot 2. I have both installed and have no problems so far. I have my cinema display hooked up to the ATI and my secondary displays hooked to the Nvidia card. It has full access to CUDA and GPU access to Mercury Playback Engine. I use the CUDA 4.0.19 and GPU driver 1.6.37.0 (256.02.25f01) from the disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to JSpragens

I configured mine according to blackmagic Davinci Resolve recommended setup. Using the ATI for my GUI workload and Nvidia for my GPU workload. And since Davinci uses the CUDA more intensely than Premiere would ever use, I figure this would be the setup me. Here is two links to read for yourself. You may just need to do a NVram clearing to remove your problems.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/media/3358646/Resolve%20Mac%20Config% 20Guide%20Mar%202012.pdf

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/6765

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 6:43 PM   in reply to JSpragens

There should be an extra power socket on your motherboard to hookup the extra dvd/cd burner. If you havent added one you can use that one to power the videocard. You may have to get an extension. I have a 5770 card that only uses one powercord but Ive read that people that had the 5870 had to use this workaround.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 7:29 PM   in reply to JSpragens

Maybe just use one card then unless you can get a work around

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 9:49 PM   in reply to JSpragens

Try to do a NVRAM reset and reboot while holding the 4 and 6 key at bootup to make sure your running 64bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 11:52 PM   in reply to JSpragens

Read it here. I didn't have to do it but other people have. Just a thought...Could it be you might have ram issues? Maybe one of your sticks is going bad.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/6765

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 12:38 AM   in reply to JSpragens

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about this awful problem.

I have a 4,1 Mac Pro that came with 4870 and 3.33GHz quad on 10.6.3 and 16GB of RAM. (I have CS3 and CS5, but not 5.5.) Along the way, I got a GTX285 for Mac a while back to try out MPE, and wasn't really impressed. To this day, I still have CUDA driver 4.0.17 and GPU driver 1.6.36.10 (256.00.35f11) installed. The only flaw I ever saw with it was a rare instance where one of my two monitors (30" ACD and a 22" Dell) would turn to snow for a second or two, then back to normal. I read that some were having crashes if the playback window was adjusted during playback, but I could not reproduce the error myself. The CUDA card seemed OK, but didn't really blow me away.

I decided to get a 5870, which seemed faster in After Effects CS5 (which I use heavily), so I stuck with that card in Software Mode instead. Since then, I've added 32GB of 1333MHz RAM, updated the firmware to 5,1 & swapped in a 6-core 3.33GHz CPU, added an Areca 1880ix-12 RAID card with an 8-bay RAID tower (and other bits that don't matter here), and performed each update to 10.6.8 now. It edits any Canon or Nikon DSLR footage in realtime without rendering, even when I add effects and layers. I can edit RED 4.5K footage at half-resolution playback and it barely skips, and perfectly smooth in quarter-resolution, again without rendering previews.

I'm giving this info to offer any help that I can. I don't know if there's a way to send you my older drivers, but if there is and you want them, let me know how to help you get them. I also wanted to share my experiences with smooth playback to demonstrate that you may be happier skipping the CUDA card, as I've personally not missed it. I don't know what combination of hard/soft/firmware is causing your issues, be it CS5.5, the Quadro 4000 or what, but I sincerely hope you get it straightened out. If nothing else, hopefully my post can tell you that a 5870 could make your editing an error-free pleasure again. I've been able to open and edit an older feature-length movie I put together in CS3 using CS5, and only had a couple clips that needed to be re-imported.. and maybe a title error that needed recreating. No crashes or big problems.

As far as resetting PRAM and SMC, I've done both at times with the successful result of fixing odd issues with audio or whatnot, and when I installed my new firmware and CPU as advised for that upgrade. I believe it won't hurt anything, but could help. I've heard people suggest it for just about any problem, and never heard any reports of it making things worse. It works on my wireless bluetooth keyboard, and I usually keep holding the four keys for three full reboots instead of only two, since I turned off the Apple "bong" sound on my system. (It annoyed me.) That way, I'm sure it's been reset.

I hate to see another Mac user in this situation, so again, let me know if I can help in any way. Maybe you'd even want to try out my GTX285 card. I haven't used it in over a year. It only has two DVI ports, no mini-DisplayPorts, FYI... so no need for the special dual-link DVI to mDP adapters.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 1:38 AM   in reply to JSpragens

I'm both excited and nervous as ever to get CS6. I really loved Audition on my PC, and miss it terribly on my Mac, but have been holding off CS5.5 for CS6. I'll be close to the end of my current piece I'm editing, and I dare not switch mid-project. That's why I still have CS3... was working on a movie when I got CS5. Guess I can uninstall that now... heh.

I'm rooting for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to JSpragens

So sorry to read about the continued issues. I'd definately go back to the ATI and edit for a bit and see if the crashes dissappear. Is it possible that the 4000 is defective?

We spent over a year trying to diagnose intermittent crashing on our MacPro when we were working in FCP7. All my local editor friends had somewhat similar very stable systems. In the process we replaced hard drives, our eSATA card, etc, etc.

Finally in the end we found our Kona LHe didn't play well with native HDV footage. I'd remove the Kona, all was well, put it back in and I'd have crashing.

I'm using it now just for audio at the moment and, as I've posted, the system is very stable.

All that to say there were times I was pulling my hair out. Thankfully now I don't have much left to pull out

Hang in there, one day at a time!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to Glitchdog

When I first got my nvidia 4000 card used from a craiglist lister...it was DOA. Won't even boot up with the card in my mac. Took it down to the store where my lister bought it and tried into one of their machines..same results. Luckily it was under warranty and I did get another and it worked fine. I guess there are some bad ones out there so maybe testing to see if the card is defective may be in order. Perhaps there is was some static electricity that may have shorted the interior circuitry during installation.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to JSpragens

JSpragens wrote:

Mac Pro 4,1

Premiere Pro 5.5

OS X 10.6.8

I just replaced the stock ATI card with a PNY Quadro 4000 for Mac.

Via CUDA Preferences, have updated CUDA driver to 4.0.50

GPU driver is 1.6.37.0 (256.02.25f01)

When I try to open any existing Premiere project, Premiere crashes.

This happens whether I'm running the OS X 32-bit kernel or the 64-bit kernel.

If I launch Premiere and create a new project, Premiere seems to run OK. (I haven't yet tried adding any content or working with the content.)

As you can imagine, the only reason I shelled out for the CUDA-capable card was to take advantage of the hardware acceleration in Mercury. So ... not a very satisfying "upgrade" so far.

Any clues?

I saw this in another part of this forum and another poster named "Manny" posted this...don't know if this would help since his is pc...but check it out.

Now, the only thing you have to be careful is that Premiere (and other software) seems to use by default the first card listed in the system (so your premiere perfrmance might be affected and you might think adding a better GPU didnt do anything for you because premiere only use one GPU for CUDA and it will try to use the first one on the system),, so, on the Nvidia Control Panel, under Manage 3D Settings, make sure that you are using the right GPU for CUDA with premierepro.exe (dont select "ALL", but force the good one instead)

It happened to me,, save yourself about an hour of frustration.

;-)

Manny.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to JSpragens

That would be awesome to have your update actually fix the problem. Still, I feel badly for you having all these issues. All the best!!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points