Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Fireworks just screwed me!!!!

Mar 15, 2012 3:05 PM

I have been working on a layered png file of a site for the past two days. Today I just went to "save as" for the last time with a new version. I got an error that said "Fireworks can not save the document. An error occured."

So then I tried saving to a different location. Again the same error. Hmm this is strange. Mind you the file has been opened and closed and saved every 10 minutes for the last two days. Finally I just saved and it seemed to work. I closed the document and went to make sure that it was still there and POOF it is gone.

Searched my entire drive. No luck!!

I have been a designer working in adobe product for 10 years and never, never have I been screwed like this. How can an application actually delete the file that was already saved in the file system?

I don't understand at all how this has happened.

By the way this is Fireworks 4 and all I can say is this has to be the buggiest version of Fireworks I have ever worked in. Usually I just ignore the bugs but this is pretty hard to ignore.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to recover this file? Pretty sure it is gone.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 16, 2012 1:46 AM   in reply to jkinsman

This used to happen to me a lot too with CS4.

I believe it is fixed/correct in either an update or with CS5.

Unfortunately, I believe your file is gone. Like any software, files are saved from memory, with memory issues, file gets corrupted or not saved, or similar.

So the best way you can deal with this, is to get backup in the future.

The bug made me change my workflow and it is something I suggest you do for the future:

• Each workday/major change to design, save the file as a new file, name it with a different date, so it is easier to find. I usually name them like this in a project folder: name_numberdateyear.png
    • Get backup solutions. I use Dropbox and it is a lifesaver. My whole professional life is there, synced across several machines and backed up to a local NAS (Synology)
      • Dropbox and several other solutions comes with version control, which has saved me from blunder caused by stress. Like saving over the wrong file. You can always restore a pervious saved and synced version. This renders my first step a bit old school and slightly over cautious

It is not a nice situation you got into, I feel sorry for it happening. But look at the bright side, you might find some new approaches to your design.

And do backups!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 16, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to jkinsman

If that file was really important, you could try some data recovery software... I've successfully recovered files that I'd accidentally deleted this way.

When you trash files, they get removed from your system's file directory, so to speak, but they're still on your hard drive for a period of time... so I imagine your FW file might still be around. However, it sounds like you found a version to work from, so it's probably not worth the time it would take to explore this option.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention: You might want to take the time to run Disk Utility to give your hard drive a checkup (e.g., run the Verify Disk command).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points