Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Dynamic link error

Mar 15, 2012 8:45 AM

When trying to use the new Warp Stabilizer inside After Effects CS5.5, I get the following error "timed out obtaining dynamic link server project."  I never get past this error.  Why does the warp stabilizer use dynamic link? 

I have searched all of the previous posts, and re-starting the computer does not fix the problem.  Does anyone have any ideas or a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Jeff

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to jeff-7117

Import the actual piece of footage into AE.  Don't go through Premiere.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to jeff-7117

What codec is the file you're trying this on?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to jeff-7117

Are you running both Final Cut Suite 3 and After Effects on the same machine?  That's the only I know to have that particular codec available for use in AE.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to jeff-7117

> Why does the warp stabilizer use dynamic link?

The Warp Stabilizer effect does its analysis in a separate background application. This application communicates with After Effects using Dynamic Link.

Have you ever been able to use Warp Stabilizer, or is this your first time trying?

You may be hitting an issue very closely related to the one described here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/startup-screen-hangs-premiere -after.html

If so, try disabling your firewall before starting After Effects.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to jeff-7117

No, the QuickTime part of that won't be relevant here.

Try rebooting your computer and then trying to use the Warp Stabilizer in After Effects before you start any other applications. It's possible that another application is blocking the port that AFter Effects needs. (I've seen FileMaker do this, for example.)

Also, please give answers to the questions here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to jeff-7117

Just to chime in --- I've been using Warp Stabilizer effect and it works perfectly most of the time. If I have around 10 clips analyzing, sometimes this error will pop up "timed out obtaining dynamiclink server", which requires restarting AE. To keep the error from happening, I limit the amount of clips analyzing at the same time.

I also did notice that AE projects using the warp stablizer effect take much more time to save and have larger file size than normal.

OSX 10.7.3 - 2x2.66 Ghz 6-core, 64 GB ram - AE 10.5.1

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to jeff-7117

Yes, these are known issues.  If you use the plugin on lots of different items, you might want to pre-render them and then delete the effect.  It does create longer save times.  As for the error, that should be fixed in a future version.  If you run into it and can't stabilize, you might try to reboot.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to Jim Acquavella

Thanks mark! BTW, the warp stabilizer is one of the best new additions to AE, in my view.

Once the clips have been analyzed I haven't had any problems with the effect, and haven't had any need to pre-render. I look forward to the update.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to keithfenter

Let's try something else that exercises the Dynamic Link connections:

Open Adobe Media Encoder and use it to load an After Effects composition (choose File > Add After Effects Composition).

My reason for suggesting this is that it uses a very similar Dynamic Link connection, and its success or failure might point us toward what's going wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to jeff-7117

Do you have Premiere Pro? If so, let's try something to see if all Dynamic Link functionality is broken, or just that from After Effects. Open Adobe Media Encoder and try to add a Premiere Pro sequence using the File > Add Premiere Pro Sequence command.

If this fails, then we know that something is blocking all Dynamic Link communication.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to jeff-7117

OK, another diagnostic step:

Restart your computer and then start just After Effects. Open the Mac OS Activity Monitor. Do you see a process named 'dynamiclinkmanager' in the process list?

Now, try to render and export a QuickTime movie from After Effects. Can you do so?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to jeff-7117

When you invoke Warp Stabilizer, it talks to dynamiclinkserver, then starts Adobe Stabilizer Server, which then starts an aeselflink process.  Does the Adobe Stabilizer Server process ever run, and does  aeselflink ever start up?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to jeff-7117

If you're willing to re-install, that certainly can't hurt. Be sure to remove preferences while you're at it (which is an option when you uninstall).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 5:47 PM   in reply to jeff-7117

Interesting. I'll forward this information on to the relevant engineers.

What can you tell us about the disk cache location that was causing problems? On a network drive? Different permissions?

I'm glad that you were able to get this to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to jeff-7117

What was the name of the folder causing the problems? (I'm wondering if there are characters in the name that were causing problems.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to jeff-7117

I have the same problem - Win7, 64bit. Reinstall doesn't help. On first launch after reinstall stabilizer works but on the next ones - I get the error. Really annoying, reinstalling each time is not a good option.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 11:47 PM   in reply to keithfenter

Keith ... How do you rate the performance of the Warp Stabilizer? Have you ever tried to stabilize a hour long standard definition clip?

What does your Activity Monitor look like during the process?

Can you give me an example of the time it takes you to do a process?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points