Skip navigation

NIK plugins are not working in LR 4

Mar 6, 2012 6:24 AM

Tags: #lightroom #4 #nik #nik_plugin
  Latest reply: Vincent Vincenzo, Sep 18, 2012 9:27 AM
Replies 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to awyvr

I welcome your comments and I can't understand why there its still much negative discussion about a minor inconvenience as we already have a work around. I am impressed by the new LR4, the new process PV2012, and the new functionality.

The workaround is a small inconvenience and I can wait.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 6:05 PM   in reply to BKKDon

I'm bothered that Adobe feels that installing a massive trial of a software I'll never use (and that I can't even download without installing their download helper which in turn requires yet another bit of software to be installed that I will never use) is a valid work around.  I mean how much HD space do you expect me to throw at this problem?

I too can wait on purchasing Lightroom 4.  I'm in the process of defecting to LR4 from that "other" photo processor although I've put that on hold for now.  And I say that not to be jerk, but to hopefully stoke a little bit more fire in hopefully getting a real resolution to this problem.  I'm not installing CS5 to make Lightroom a functional product.  If you can come up with Mac equivalent of the registry hack then that might be implementable.  Until then, I have the joys of exporting a TIFF, loading it up in Nik, saving it, and reimporting it back into Lightroom.  Do-able but a pain.  I have 22 days left in the trial - will there be a real fix before then?  If not, there's no sense in me continuing to bother with the trial since I'm not buying the full version without this fixed. 

LR4 produces better photos then I can get with my previous software; I want to use it.  This problem keeps me from using it.  Fix it please!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:00 PM   in reply to lostsomewhere82

Given the issue appears not to be overly complex - a missing registry entry for Windows users, probably a missing component or two in the Mac build for OS X users - chances are pretty good that we'll see a fix out this month. Plugin vendors will thank them for that too.

lostsomewhere82 wrote:

I'm bothered that Adobe feels that installing a massive trial of a software I'll never use (and that I can't even download without installing their download helper which in turn requires yet another bit of software to be installed that I will never use) is a valid work around.  I mean how much HD space do you expect me to throw at this problem?

Is a download and install the only possible workaround for Mac users? Probably not. I'd argue that click and install is simple enough even if it does require a hefty download, but developing a simpler workaround may end up pulling the very resources needed to develop a permanent fix off that more important task. Adobe certainly will understand what needs doing - if anything the absence of another workaround coming out of Adobe to me is a sign that they know exactly what needs resolving in LR4 and that likely will translate to a fairly speedy *permanent* resolution.

So what would you want them to do - distract developer resources by diverting them to producing a short term workaround for a subset of their user base, or allow them to work on the product itself and get an update out that much more quickly? I'm sure you can guess where my vote lies.

Downloading a copy of Photoshop CS5 might seem to some like an excessive exercise to fix the problem on a temporary basis, but not me. I'd rather go that route than have to deal with manual TIFF export, edit, re-import as you are - for every single image processed. I already have to do that for another tool (not from Nik) that I use with LR4... given my experience with that product there's no way I would turn down a valid, easy to follow, workaround that allows me to use the very nice integration Nik and other plugin products have with Lightroom.

To me it seems far simpler to click a few times to download and install PS CS5 on a temporary basis and then get back to work. It's not like Adobe is twisting your arm to download PS CS5 in the vain hope that they'll get some sales from that... anyone thinking that should give their heads a wee shake.

Remember, the installation of PS CS5 is a temporary workaround. Once Adobe releases a patch or updated version with the fix, you'll be able to delete the PS CS5 "workaround" with no harm done. Disk space returned to its former glorious emptyness. 

So you have plenty of choices. (1) You can stick with your existing software which by your own admission doesn't do the job you wished it could do. (2) Or you can adopt the simple download / install / get back to it workaround. (3) Or you can stick to the manual TIFF export, edit, re-import cycle you are currently using with demo software until Adobe releases a permanent fix. And finally (4) you can simply choose not to buy LR and any third party plugins you are currently demoing. That last step seems a bit drastic given two useful and one easy workarounds exist to get you through the waiting period until the fix is released.

I use Silver Efex Pro 2 every day on a number of images, so my vote goes with option 2 without hesitation.

SEP2 and LR4 (and LR3!) are great products that really help my workflow. I suspect you'll find that too. Click on download and release the hounds!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to awyvr

I agree with "awyvr" - option 2 is the easiest and I cannot do without Color Efex Pro 4 or Silver Efex Pro 2 in my workflow, small inconvenience for a great product that gives great results and with the small fix you get the convenience of automatic stacking ... no problems for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 3:19 AM   in reply to awyvr

Hello.. Some cool info. Thanks..

But I have to say, if a car I was driving gets a flat on a road: Thats called a breakdown. I didn``t buy the car, after being told its a great piece of kit, only to find it will not move due to crap tyres. So that analogy fails.

Anyway:

Being serious: I`m not an IT expert, I haven`t studied Computer science.  But a few people in this thread have mentioned a workover using CS5 download !! I assume they mean using the 15 day trial package. What happens after 15 days when the trial runns out?

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Is this a legit fix, or have I mis-understood the thread.

Gotta say, great response from everyone.. Nice to know I`m not the only one with L/R issues. And nice to know free speech still exists..

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 3:30 AM   in reply to 7thsojourn

Hi..

I agree.

I get the impression that its bad mojo to complain about s/w these days. We - the customer - should be gratful that the s/w is available.

But in the last three years, I really increased my PC use. Its not only Adobe, Nik , Corel etc. But alot of the s/w requires some extra tweek to install or to function.

Some where in this thread, if I understood correctly, we could be waiting weeks for a patch / repair.  It really isn`t good enough.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 4:23 AM   in reply to Vincent Vincenzo

I think it's not a runing CS5 component (so I assume the workaround will work even after CS5-trial is out of date), but some missing library, configuration mssing in final LR4

I did it, it works, but to be honest, it's a strange workaround isn't it?

cheers

/Karl R.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to Tron777

Strange indeed. Seems a little Heath Robinson to me.

So - please bear with me - If I go to the Adobe web site: Down load a trail CS5 which means I`m downloading Adobe PS CS5 extended on trail

The LR4 with Nik plugins start to function.

Do I need to first : Uninstall the Nik s/w ?

Appreciate the guidance.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to Vincent Vincenzo

Frankly, you are doing much a do about not much. Although I agree that something like that should have been tested before issuing the definitive version.

Since you seem to be on a PC, I find it is overkill to install a huge program like PS CS5 if you know you won't use it.

Just use the little patch announced it will be much less hassle and it damn easy :

1) You open the notepad (a little rudimentary word editor you find in the Windows accessory).

2) You copy and paste three-five lines of text, exactly as is quoted, in Brett's correct answer indicated in green in this thread.

3) You save on your desktop and give it the same name as indicated.

4) You double click on it. and it is done.. it takes more time to explain than to do it.

Now if you want to go the long road and install the trial of CS5, that is up to you. LR4 misses a link allowing you to edit in an external editor. CS5 creates that link when it is installed. You don't even need to run CS5 once, the link will be there. And after the trial expires, unless you uninstall the program, the link will remain there.

For once, it seems that those running a Mac are less lucky, they have no patch. They can only download the CS5 trial.

My take on this is that as long as the 4.1 version is not out, Adobe should add that little patch in a complementary file and warn Win users that they should run the patch after or before the LR installation in case they don't have CS5 installed, but want to use an other external editor with LR4. The file should be downloadable from their website. That would make people who are unsure about computers more confident.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 5:02 AM   in reply to Vincent Vincenzo

@Vincent :The Install of CS5 was the workaround for MAC OS X, the Windows Registry Update for Windows driven machines

in short as I understood ...

thanks for @rrr_hhh for posting the shortcut guide for Windows machines

cheers

Karl R.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 5:26 AM   in reply to shopaholicann

Know how you feel..  Live long and prosper!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to rrr_hhh

Well !!!!! Never used a patch before, don`t know how it works, but dam it does...

Thanks to you all.. Tron, rrr-hhh, Brett, and those whose tags I`ve lost.. Your help has been greatly appreciated. LR4 with the Nik Suite is fully functional as of 13.00 GMT ...

Hats off the the chap that wrote the patch: back on page 4 of thiis forum.. Was unsure - read very not confident - and concerned that I may inavertatly screw up the OS..

But hey it works..

If I can do it - hope this may give those who are not totally PC confident - like me - to have a go...

THANKS AGAIN...  off to have a coffee now , I`m knackered.

Vince

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to Vincent Vincenzo

I am glad it works for you, but it doesn't work for me on my MAC OS Lion. Even more ironic is that Elements 9 also doesn't work as a plugin in Lightroom 4.

It's an Adobe problem and they should get it fixed with an update. Lamely saying it worked on the beta version isn't an answer. It just shows how sloppy the Adobe crew is to get out the full version so they can start making money even though their program doesn't fully work.

Ed

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 6:54 AM   in reply to bonaprof@gmail.com

Must admit to not being overly impressed with many of the s/w companies. But going by the dates on the messages in this forum, they go back to August 2010.

Considering they make a LR edition of Nik plug-ins, seperate to the CS5 edition, I would imagine Nik are not totally without blame.

But I thought I read for MAC users download a trial edition of CS5 would solve your problem; Or have I miss-understood the thread?

Nothing is more frustrating to have s/w you cannot access, through no fault of your own..

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Vincent Vincenzo

I think you are misunderstanding the issue. Adobe recognizes that plugins not working (including Elements 9) it is their problem and are seeking a solution. Apparently, the plugins worked for the beta version of Lightroom 4, but the full upgrade, which Adobe started selling a week ago, does not. Adobe says its engineers are working on the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to bonaprof@gmail.com

I think I can offer a solution.  If the beta worked perfectly but the new full version doesn't, why not simply switch them round? Sell the beta as the full version, and the full version can be taken back to beta whilst they put back the code they took out.  Can only take an hour or so surely.

Of course, they'll need to swap the spplash screens too. Expect they'll rememebr that though.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to Brett N

To save time for new folks just joining the thread who are hopefully skipping to the end to cut to the chase, here's a link to the post by Brett (Adobe customer support) providing the workaround info for both Windows and OS X users.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4264823#4264823

Brett N wrote:

Thank you all who have reported on this forum post. We are aware of the issue, we are working on a fix. We do not have a release date for this fix yet.

Having ready through every post, the conclusion is there are currently one workaround per OS:

Win:

Artificially create the registry keys required by Lightroom (Thank you justme06 and b_gossweiler):

1) Open Notepad

2) Copy and paste everything in bold below into Notepad

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Photoshop.exe]

"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5\\"

@="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5\\Photoshop.exe"

3) Go File > Save As

4) In "File Type" Select "All files"

5) Name it "LightroomPatch.reg" and save to your Desktop

6) Close notepad and double-click "LightroomPatch.reg".

7) When it asks if you trust the source, click "yes"

Mac:

Download and install the trial for Photoshop CS5

When the patch is released, I'll post an update here.

Mac OS X users note: Installing Photoshop Elements 10, on a trial or paid basis, will not resolve the problem. Installing Photoshop CS5 will. This workaround will continue to work even after the trial period expires.

At this point we'd be best serving newcomers to this thread if we keep pointing them to this information rather than engaging in verbal jousting.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to awyvr

As an addendum to the redirect that awyvr posted above for those seeking the Windows and Mac fixes and in particular for those like Vincent earlier who are not fully au fait with computery things I'd just mention the following.

1. Windows users only need to apply the patch as copied to Notepad and linked above. However, Windows users who are not comfortable releasing a patch they don't understand on to their computer can instead download and install the CS5 trial software.

2. Mac users apparently can only sort the problem by downloading and installing the CS5 trial. The patch doesn't apply to Macs.

3. Both Windows and Mac users who decide to go the CS5 route only need to install the software NOT run it. In other words once the CS5 software trial is installed i.e. added to the list of programs on your computer you don't need to launch/open/run the program. Its presence on your computer is enough. This has the added advantage of not initiating the trial period so if an Adobe fix is not available before long the CS5 trial will continue to sort the Edit In problem without expiring.

Plenty of people have now got LR4 working using the above methods. The CS5 install is straightforward apart from the download time and risk free. The Windows patch is one of those things which tinkers with the fuel fods of your computer but so long as the very concise and simple instructions are followed it too is completely effective. Anyone wading this far through the thread and still not convinced LR4 can ever be worth the price paid please be reassured that these answers that other forum respondents have come up with do indeed do the trick.  

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to Vincent Vincenzo

I just received a mail by Nik Software. Among other things they say:

"Important information on compatibility of Nik Software plug-ins with Lightroom 4

Adobe update for Lightroom 4 to be released soon

Some users have experienced problems when using external plug-ins within Lightroom 4. The reason for this a bug in the retail version of Lightroom 4, which unfortunately may also affect Nik Software plug-ins under certain circumstances. Adobe is already working on a solution, which will be available with their next update.

Upon release of this update by Adobe Nik Software plug-ins can be used within Lightroom 4 as usual. Please make sure to download the newest version of your plug-ins before using them in Lightroom".

I shared this info just to let everybody know that Adobe, Nik and most probably the other plug-in companies are collaborating to solve the problem. When I noticed the bug in my just-bought LR4 I was very upset, as most of us. But seeing that companies, and especially Adobe are working seriously on it, makes me feel better.

We are not being left alone with the software we bought, let's be patient.

A suggestion to Adobe customer care: maybe sending a mail to customers who bought LR4 on Adobe's site, explaining the situation, could be a good way of letting customers know you care about them. This will not avoid completely angry messages on fora, because many people may have bought it somewhere else, but sure it would help in keeping things smooth.

Good work everybody!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to Brett N

Justed triwed the work around(Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Photoshop.exe]

@="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5\\Photoshop.exe")

When I het yes a error message came up telling me

"Cannot import C;\users\Mike\Documents\LightroomPatch.reg: The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

Followed the following:

Win:

Artificially create the registry keys required by Lightroom (Thank you justme06 and b_gossweiler):

1) Open Notepad

2) Copy and paste everything in bold below into Notepad

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

@="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5\\Photoshop.exe"

3) Go File > Save As

4) In "File Type" Select "All files"

5) Name it "LightroomPatch.reg" and save to your Desktop

6) Close notepad and double-click "LightroomPatch.reg".

7) When it asks if you trust the source, click "yes"

Whats up.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to MikeWaddell

And you included the line "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" and the rest of the bolded text up to and including "...
    Photoshop.exe "?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to cinerama

What kind of text editor did you use ?  You really need a very basic text editor, not one which would format your text a little. WordPad for instance could create problems.

Try creating the document again. Open NotePad and create a new document. Paste the text again. It was written in bold to make clear what the text to paste was. Make sure that you have only unformated text; if you are really in Notepad, you shouldn't see bold character anymore. If you see that, you are not in a basic text editor and this may be the cause of the problem.In order to be sure that you are saving only text and not any format, save your file as text only and keep the .txt suffix. Then rename the file second Brett's indications, after it has been correctly saved as text only.

Well, give it a try at least, this may be your problem, or may be not.. Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to cinerama

"And you included the line "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" and the rest of the bolded text up to and including "...
    Photoshop.exe "?......

Yes, that is necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to leicabill

I have uploaded the file PhotoshopCS5.reg for download. To use it, download it to your desktop, double click it and when it asks if you trust the source, click "yes" (possibly several times).

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to b_gossweiler

Thanks. It worked for both Nix and Topaz Labs.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Andrehilkens

Can anyone tell me where to look to find out why I don't have the individual Chanel controls inTone Curve in LR4 ? - (as well as not being able to use any of my plugins!)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to Brett N

Hiya Brett,

I tried installing the Photoshop CS5 trial. I already had Design Premium CS5 installed, as well as the CS6 trial. but I installed the Photoshop CS 5.1 trial anyway. No dice - Nik plugins still don't show up in the "Edit in..." menu. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Sohail

---

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to sohailmamdani

Had you already installed the updates for your Nik plugins? They came out with a minor update to make their products compatible with Lightroom 4.

http://www.niksoftware.com/downloads/usa/entry.php?view=software

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 5:06 PM   in reply to Brett N

Can someone explain how the registry edit for windows works, which appears to install photoshop CS5 references, for someone who has never had photoshop installed and doesn't use photoshop?

Does it actually work in this case?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to mr.nik

I'd also like to respectfully remind those who have judged this bug to be a "minor inconvenience": please don't judge the impact on others by the impact on yourself.

It may well be that your workflow rarely relies on this feature. In contrast, mine totally relies on it.

Most of my projects (paying and non-paying) are stalled until this is fixed (by whatever means - will try the reg fix if I the answer to my previous question is positive).

That impact is not a "minor inconvenience" regardless of how brilliant LR4 is in every other feature/function. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 5:59 PM   in reply to mr.nik

Those people who want to treat this whole incident as a minor inconvenience fail to realize that there are many 

photographers out  there (pros included) who use these plug-ins, especially NIK plug-ins, on a daily basis 

as part of their normal work flow. Take the plug-ins away, and productivity come to a stand-still. I still want to 

explore all that's new about LR-4, but I can't do much with the upgrade until they fix this problem. Thank God

I have LR-3 to fall back on.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 6:50 PM   in reply to mr.nik

The registry fix works whether you had Photoshop installed or not. I'm sure this has been addressed a number of times in this thread. The Mac OS X fix works.

You are correct, I do consider the problem to be a minor inconvenience. Since reliable work arounds exist for Lightroom 4 running on either Windows and Mac OS X, for now, the "problem" is solved. No (more) downtime.

Or, don't upgrade, use LR3 until the next LR4 release comes out. Problem solved.

Or, if you've upgraded, downgrade. Problem solved.

No one needs to be down. Do the workaround, or stay with LR4, or go back to LR3.

In my books, LR4 delivers advantages worth any minor inconvenience.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 3:31 AM   in reply to 7thsojourn

@7thsojourn - i think, unfortunately, there are some who confuse the complexity/nature of the problem/fix itself with the actual impact on a user. Or certainly give that impression. User experience often comes low down the food chain. Let's hope none such work for Adobe, who I'm sure are making double efforts to test a core fix.

A certain feature might seem simple and trivial, broken for a silly reason, fixed by a simple manual intervention. But that doesn't mean that while it is broken it doesn't have a large impact. It's a bit like saying that a missing a SAVE command is a small hiccup, because you can poke around the web and find a simple set of instructions to create a workaround. Meanwhile, until you have done so and the feature is unavailable to you, it is a big impact on your work. Missing that feature will always be a big impact. And so it is with the "edit in" feature in my own workflow.

It actually doesn't matter what anyone else *thinks* - it's you, or I, that determine what the impact/incovenience is to ourselves if the function is broken. The functionality is essential for me. Missing an essential fuction is more than inconvenient for the duration it is missing.

Thankfully, the hours wasted sorting it are reasonably small. But upgrading, downgrading, hacking around, installing stuff or whatever strategy one chooses - all takes time and effort, may or may not end up with the desired result (I fail to see how reverting versions "fixes" anything, it merely "avoids")  and it's down to ourselves to value that effort.

For the benefit of others: I applied the registry fix and it has indeed eliminated the parameter error generated by the "edit" function. In my case it was not NIK software, but all my other editors including Tiffen DFX, Topaz, various Corel...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 8:32 PM   in reply to mr.nik

Shortly after writing my comment that you received, I got a note from someone more or less blasting me 

for begin so dependent on plug-ins, and not being flexible enough to proceed without them. I had tried to 

explain that many professional photographers use these plug-ins as part of their regular workflow when 

they're in the editing pictures. Regardless of the new features found in LR-4, if you need to use these 

plug-ns, then you can only proceed just so far in the upgrade and then, as in my case, transfer to LR-3 to 

use my NIK and Topaz plug-ins. 

Who knows, it could be that the guy who wrote me wasn't making a living as a photographer and, therefore, 

couldn't feel the sense of urgency that the rest of us feel. Meanwhile, I'm still not hearing of a fixes appearing 

on the horizon.   

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 8:52 PM   in reply to 7thsojourn

7thsojourn wrote:

Regardless of the new features found in LR-4, if you need to use these

plug-ns, then you can only proceed just so far in the upgrade and then, as in my case, transfer to LR-3 to use my NIK and Topaz plug-ins.

But that's not true. If you want to use your plug-ins from within Lightroom 4, you *can*, right now, provided you follow the temporary workaround steps that have been clearly documented.

Instead you seem to be making a choice to make your workflow more complicated than it need be at this point. I'm honestly interested - what holds you back from following the appropriate workaround?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 9:05 PM   in reply to awyvr

There are many of us "photographers" that are not necessarily "registry savvvy" I am one and while it works it can be a very risky move if you do not know what you are doing and mess up. Also downloading another product to get LR to function as advertised is a step no one should have to do. You purchase software with an expectation it is going to work as advertised.

While I appreciate the dedicated folks on this forum for finding and testing the workarounds and doing Adobe's job for them. I do not have that luxury and spend most of my time in the field earning my living and not being a computer jock. I will stick with LR 3.6. By the way, this is not the only issue that is impacting many users - LR4 should go down in history - the public Beta worked better than the released version!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 9:45 PM   in reply to MikeKPhoto

On the "Registry" boogeyman...

Adding a single key to the registry is less risky than allowing anyone, including a photographer, from using Windows Explorer (or Mac Finder) in the file system where one keystroke - the delete button - can, conceivably, wipe out an entire disk. Is that dangerous? Yes, you bet!

The Windows Registry seems all mysterious but at its core the Registry is a central database of information that Windows and programs running on Windows can use to gain access to configuration information. Adding a key (an entry in the database) with a value is somewhat akin to adding a contact in your email address book.

Sure, it is possible to horribly screw up. Theoretically possible. No doubt some do.

I've never seen it happen myself, and I've seen plenty. I have however seen the aftermath of people deleting files by accident, plenty of times. So which is more dangerous - performing a routine task (file manipulation) or performing what might be a once-ever task (updating the registry manually)?

Updating your registry by hand with the information provided is a relatively low risk activity. Further reducing the risk of an accident, a file containing the edits required has been created and distributed (see up thread) which will eliminate the possibility of user-driven keystroke mistakes fouling up the edit.That makes the fix simple and safe enough for the masse  - point and right-click and install. Done.

Warnings come along with such activity because it's just prudent to put the burden of responsibility on the user, not because the activity in this case is inherently dangerous.

I would not criticize your choice to say behind at v3.6, Mike, not at all. Staying with the prior version to LR4 was one of the options I outlined a few points above and is a perfectly valid approach that allows you maximum productivity using software you already know and the third party plugins you depend upon will continue to work with no effort on your part.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 10:30 PM   in reply to Andrehilkens

OK, I am not sure if people are still watching this...

My issue was LR4 was not giving me an OPTION of sending the file to PS with the edits intact. When I would click on edit in PS, it would not bring up the secondary option box; it just sent the original image to PS CS5.5 without any edits.
    I installed ACR 6.7, and now the optional box to send the file to PS with or without edits comes up and it sends the right file to PS CS5.5

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 11:09 PM   in reply to awyvr

The problem is that, according to a lot of the messages I've read on this forum, for every person who 

finds that a workaround works for them, there are just as many who have found that it doesn't. One of 

the primary suggestions was to download the trial versions CS5 or Elements on my iMac. Well, for 

some it worked. For others, it didn't.  Some didn't want to take up the required space on their computer 

for a temporary fix. I'll keep discovering all the new features in LR-4.   

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 11:12 PM   in reply to MikeKPhoto

Mike: some excellent points. Thanks for sharing.

|
    Mark as:
1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points