Skip navigation
leukelovell
Currently Being Moderated

Streaming video link to play inside PDF

Mar 15, 2012 10:30 AM

Tags: #acrobat #x #video #pro #links #streaming #rtmp #streaming_video

I'm not having any success placing a .mp4 streaming video link in Acrobat Pro X that will play inside (not embedded) the PDF. My client has provided me with a couple of links, and the video tool field accepts it, but nothing plays. I can download and embed the actual file from my desktop fine. Being a long time print designer, this is my first attempt to create an ebook with video from an existing print project - so i have limited understanding of formats, server behavior, and such. Can anyone help me?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 16, 2012 12:42 AM   in reply to leukelovell

Flash Player (which runs the video tool in Acrobat) will play streaming content only if it's being delivered from Adobe Flash Media Server (i.e. using the rtmp or rtmpe protocols). As you can 'download' the file it cannot be a stream, so I assume it's a regular web URL using http. These are supported provided the URL ends in '.mp4' and it doesn't require authentication - but without knowing the file details I can't say why it's not working in your case.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to leukelovell

The http link is working in theory, but as you aren't streaming, it sits there forever while you download the file before starting playback (and I suspect the http server is throttling the data).

With the FMS stream you're almost there but you're hitting a bug in the shipping version of the video player widget, plus the very obscure way we write Adobe Flash Media Server addresses.

First, grab a copy of our free updated widget, and follow the instructions to switch out the default swf file.

Now enter this into the URL field when you create a new Video annotation in Acrobat:

rtmp://yourserver.url/foldername/mp4:ebooks/gedc__000122.mp4

The extra "mp4:" is called an instance name, and is required if the installation of FMS hasn't turned on virtual folder support - which yours has not.

[ message edited - link obfuscated ]

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to leukelovell

No problem - I've edited out the links.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to leukelovell

There's a version of Adobe Reader for iOS devices that will display comments, but it doesn't support scripting or rich media annotaions. Right now there are no apps that provide that functionality on iOS, due to the limitations of rendering Flash and JS content imposed by Apple. Realistically if you have to support iOS, the only option is to export from InDesign via the Digital Publishing Suite, and make a native iOS app.

More features are coming to Adobe Reader on mobile devices in the future, but I cannot talk about when or if we'll have support for RMA and JS content.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Thanks so much Dave - I'll look forward to an update to Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Hi Dave ( or anyone that  knows the answer),

Does this method work to stream video through a PDF on the iPad or only a computer?  I am using the widget and instructions above.  The video plays fine in the PDF when viewing from my desktop, but when attempting to view the video in the PDF file on the iPad (using Adobe Reader app), the video is simply a rectangle with a black border, white fill, and a small play button that doesnt work. SO, when tapping the button to play, nothing happens.

Here is what I am doing:

From Acrobat Pro X,

1. Selecting Content>Multimedia>Video
    2. Drawing the video player on the page
    3. Entering the ul.  Here is a mock example: (note: this is a Sharepoint if it matters...)

https://frontline-consumer.web.mydomain.com/sites/SSS/Public%20Files/T raining%20Documents%20-%20Training%20Files/WorkbookVideo1.mp4

4.  Saving the file

5. Open in Acrobat 9 PDF viewer on the computer, video plays fine.

6. Open the PDF in Adobe Reader app on iPad, video does not play or respond in any way to tapping.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to scad_brad

As per my previous reply, iPad does not support Flash Player, which is currently required in order to display any type of Rich Media Annotation in a PDF file.

Provided the video is in a supported format and has a public URI, you could include a simple text link to the MP4 file within your PDF, and let the iPad handle it via the usual browser methods - but it won't play inside the PDF document.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Thank you for the quick response.  I misunderstood.  I was thinking that by using the widget and an H2.64 video for iPad (mp4) that together it was creating streaming video in a PDF that is not converted to Flash or swf, which as pointed out is not compatible with iPad. So, the pupose of the widget is that it allows streaming of video (e.g. mp4) for a PDF viewed on a computer vs. embedding the actual video in the PDF?  ..and it still converts the video to Flash?

My goal is to have an iPad workbook of sorts w/ a video player that is streaming the video vs embedding it.

#####PDF seems to be out unless I want to link it and have the video open in a browser.

-  I tried creating an epub using InDesign, which allowed me to embed the mp4 and played on the iPad fine in iBooks, but it makes the epub file large and I'd rather stream the video.

- When using the "place a video from url option" in InDesign, the epub will not play the video in iBooks and only shows the poster image.

Do you have any recommendations or even other Adobe tools that will help accomplish my goal?

thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to scad_brad

When you insert a Rich Media Annotation for an external video in a PDF file, the annotation that is created contains the default videoPlayer.swf widget and a tag to pass that widget the URI of your video file. The file itself is not embedded and is of course not altered in any way, but Adobe Reader can only play back the video by loading the SWF widget - there is no 'native' video player tool in Adobe Reader on any platform.

Because iOS doesn't support Flash or JS, Adobe Reader on iOS ignores RMA content completely even if the video file or URI would itself be understood by external programs on your iOS device. This may change in future, but right now the only way to get a video to appear on an iPad is to send it as a standalone asset.

FYI - you refer to 'streaming' but any video delivered by HTTP is not streamed, it's merely downloaded. Streaming implies negotiation between the client and server to provide 'live' frame data at an agreed bandwidth, and is run on entirely different protocols such as RTMP.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points