Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone NOT having problems with Quadro 4000 for Mac? What is your experience?

Feb 10, 2012 6:03 PM

Man, all I read about is nothing but problems with running the Quadro 4000 on a macpro.

I just purchased and am waiting to receive a 6 core 3.33 to replace my aging 2007 octocore to run PP. I had the budget so I went ahead and threw in the Quadro for CUDA awsomeness.

I got curious and started poking around on the web to find all these nightmares people are having - especially with Lion!

Now I'm feeling like I don't even want to open the Invidia box when it arrives and just return it.

What has been your experience? Especially with Lion cause that's what I'm running...

Looking forward to your replies...

J.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2012 8:04 PM   in reply to Run & Gunner

I wouldn't use Lion & Premiere til CS6, CS5 was not designed for it and CS5.5 came out before it too.

I wouldn't add an expensive GPU card til CS6 either ( CS6 due 1\2 half of 2012 ).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 10:01 PM   in reply to Run & Gunner

Run & Gunner wrote:

What has been your experience? Especially with Lion cause that's what I'm running...

My experiences have been positive both with 10.6.[7|8] and 10.7 and the Quadro card.  No issues to report whatsoever; it just works for me.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 10:40 PM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Jason Van Patten Are using a vanilla system or 3rd party i\o?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

Stephen_Spider wrote:

Are using a vanilla system or 3rd party i\o?

My previous Mac Pro (a 3,1) and my current (a 5,1) were pretty much vanilla.  Extra RAM, a few extra HDs, and the Quadro card.  I'm not using anyone RAID card, nor amy I using any sort of capture card, if that's what you meant by I/O.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

No problems whatsoever. Just positive impact on sequences.

Tom Daigon

Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor

www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Mac Pro 3,1

2 x 3.2 ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

Nvidia Quadro 4000

24 gigs ram

Kona 3

Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Run & Gunner

The source of the problem is relatively simple: Apple didn't include the drivers for the Quadro 4000 with Mac OSX v10.6.8. This requires you to manually install the appropriate driver. I describe the process here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/06/quadro-4000-driver- and-cuda-driver-update-for-mac-osx-v10-6-8.html

I recently asked my counterpart at Nvidia to check that post to make sure that it was still correct and current, and he said that it is. If you find otherwise, let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Well, you confirmed my opinion that a vanilla system seems to be more stable, but then LasVideo said he can roll a seven with Lion, Quadro 4000, and a Kona Card.

I will have to meditate on this.

Hhhhmmmmmmmmmm............

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

Stephen, what the heck do you mean "roll a seven with Lion "  ???? 

Mys system specs clearly state Im on 10.6.8 which is Snow Leopard.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 3:15 AM   in reply to lasvideo

My ignorance of the Mac OS nomenclature. Sorry.

I saw that your OS was the same as Todd mentioned in his post and assumed that was Lion. So now I know Lion is 10.7.

This actually eases my mind a bit. It makes more sense that you are not using Lion. Thanks for the clarification.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to Run & Gunner

i got a new Mac Pro in January with 32gb RAM, a Kona 3G for external monitors and a Quadro 4000 to run Smoke.  i'm also running FCP 7 and Premiere CS5.5.  i'm new to Premiere, Smoke, AJA, and the Quadro 4000.

i haven't gotten to play with Smoke much lately, but i find Premiere fairly buggy - especially when monitoring throught the Kona card.  i've had several kernel panics in the past month and have read the Quadro 4K can be responsible for that.

i don't know if the bugginess with Premiere is related to the Kona, the Quadro 4K, or if Premiere CS5.5 is just buggy.  my issues are mostly playback related - sometimes playback just stops and won't resume until i quit the app and restart.  sometimes while scrolling through clips in list view, it hangs up and has to think for a minute.  i like so many things about Premiere, but i don't have these issues with FCP 7 (with whom i'm trying to part ways).

unfortunately this system has too many new variables for me to be able to lay blame on one of them, but i suspect the Quadro to be a significant part of the issue.  i'm also concerned that NVIDIA doesn't appear to support their mac customers.  the company who sold us the Smoke system chose the Quadro 4K specifically for Smoke and maybe it runs great with Smoke, but i'll still be using other applications and they all need to run acceptibly.  i've asked them to research other cards for use with my system.  in the meantime - i will continue to hope for a work week without technical difficulties.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 4:33 PM   in reply to Run & Gunner

I run both the ATI and Nvidia card on my macpro 5,1. Along with Matrox PCI card for my MX02 mini and 3G SATA card to output to my external raid. It just depends on the drivers. I use CUDA 4.0.19 and Driver 1.6.37.0 (256.02.25f01). So far so good. Cuda works and Mercury does also. My first Nvidia card was DOA so I got it exchanged under warranty and now it is fine. Just make sure you install the drivers first before installing the Nvidia card. And I use snow leopard and intend to stay that way for a while till OSX will be more stable. So no Lion for me. Maybe Mountain Lion will be better.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2012 3:08 PM   in reply to Run & Gunner

Hey Run & Gunner! We have a stable system at present, no issues since installing the 4000. Here's the specs below. I've seen a few posts here where people are not using CUDA on MacPro and seem to have managed a quite speedy system. I'm not that brilliant, so CUDA was an easy fix.

Our MacPro 5,1, 12 gig memory, 10.6.8 our Quadro 4000 gpu driver is 1.6.37.0 and our CUDA driver is 4.1.25, not the latest, but the whole system is very stable.

Also we have a Kona LHe that I'm only currently using for audio (see last note below). Our RAID is software and via a FirmTek eSATA card. We also have an ATTO SCSI card for backups with our budget Quantum DLT drive.

I did some research before installing the 4000 as Todd mentioned above. Made sure I installed the correct card and CUDA drivers first (not necessary on Lion as also mentioned) before installing the 4000.

The big thing I gleaned from probably all the posts you read too was wise words not to update the CUDA and card drivers immediately when they came out if my system was already stable. Then I'd do some research to make sure there weren't any issues before updating between projects. I've generally applied this for other updates too for years, but sometimes I"ve gotten lazy and that's when I've been stung.

Ironically enough, we had issues with crashing in FCP7 (stock ATI then) and eventually discovered it was the Kona not playing well with the native HDV footage we were editing with. All that when all my editor MacPro friends had zero issues editing with many other codecs in FCP7 and AJA (but different Kona cards).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to Glitchdog

Interesting thread! 

I'm running a Mac Pro 3.1 8 core 3.0Ghz.

I use CS5 Master Collection (not 5.5)

I'm running Lion 10.7.4.

I'm running CUDA Driver 4.2.10

And I'm running GPU Driver 7.18.18 270.05.25f01

I've been running just fine the past month, but now I'm dealing with the beach ball of death every couple minutes.  And now, it seem the only way I can run the computer is in Safe Mode.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 6:01 AM   in reply to scenedirector

Trash Preferences and Repair Permissions and see if that helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points