• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro X, Mac, and Scanning with HP Deskjet Issue!

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Adobe Acrobat X Pro on Lion and when I go to scan from PDF, my HP Deskjet 3052 A scanner isn't showing up in the drop down menu.  I also have Acrobat Pro X for Windows on my machine (VMWare) and it works fine, but it won't work with the Mac version.  I have called Adobe and HP and neither have been able to help me.  I bought this program with this feature in mind, and I am sick of having to toggle back to Windows to scan, as it eats up a lot of my processing power.  I have downloaded the SANE and TWAIN drivers (or so I thought I did) with no luck.  I have also un-installed and re-installed the printer and Adobe multiple times, with no luck!  Please help me!

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check in the system preferences in Printer/Fax If your HP device is Combo Printer Scan you might have to change to Scanner first.

See this: https://skitch.com/pjonescet/8mj2e/print-and-fax-32-bit 

Switch to scan first and set up as necessary. the quit or hide Printer Fax

Now see if the scanner show up in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is setup as a Printer/Scanner.  I don't quite understand what you mean by "switch to scan first and set up as necessary."  It still isn't working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you click on the link provided in my answer. The way HP Printer scanners are setup you can use one or the other but not both at the same time.

Switch to scan in Printer/Fax. Then go back acrobat choose PDF from Scanner.  the scanner should then show up or you can select it.  Then you can use the the scanner. To print you have to go back and switch back to the printer.

Both don't work at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my system preferences, I don't have a print/scan option.  Mine says Print/Scan.  I clicked on the link, but mine doesn't look the same.  Here is a screen shot of my system preferences and what it looks like.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/405021_10100343617594487_10604388_4730...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay your is setup similar to mine.

Click on the scan Tab.

Setup as necessary (If necessary)

Now quit Printer/Fax (leaving it with Scan Tab activated).

Now go to acrobat and create PDF from Scan : http://www.screencast.com/t/WGSYIjJWOEd3

Next as shown here: http://screencast.com/t/QqDXVA6qXpXM click on button as shown and slect your scanner.

You can now make a scan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Phillip,

That did not work.  The only thing that comes up is "SANE," which are some drivers I read to install a few weeks ago.  Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Phillip,

Do you have any other suggestions?  I am very frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just spoke with Adobe support yesterday (case 183132362). They say they don't support scanning on OS X 10.7. The agent said one has to scan with another program and then use Acrobat X Pro from there. It sure sounds like a bug to me. I'm going to use Image Capture and have it scan to Acrobat. I hope that deals with most of my needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also was not able to get Acrobat to drive my HP printer/scanner (I have an HP Photosmart Premium). But I was able to use the HP software to drive Acrobat by using System Preferences. These are the steps I followed:

1. Open System Preferences and click on Print & Scan.

2. Select my Printer in the Print & Scan db, and then clicking the Scan button.

3. Click on the "Open Scanner" button.

4. In the dialog box for the HP printer (Photosmart Prem C310 series), click Scanner in the top right corner.

Make sure the Details are showing.

I set these options in the Scanner Details:

Kind: Text

Resolution: 300

Scan To: Adobe Acrobat Pro.app

Name: Scan

Format: PDF

Then I clicked Scan. This scanned the document and opened it automatically in Acrobat X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin,

Yes Adobe Acrobate X Pro does not support HP Photosmart Plus scanning.
I have had the same issue for months, but like you I found that I can scan a document from the Printer/Scan box in System Prefs (not ideal).
One can also scan a document using HP Scan and then convert it using Adobe OCR recognition, this is another work-around.

Hopefully Adobe will update their software sometime to accomodated HP users!

P.S. How do you get it to "Scan To: Adobe Acrobat Pro.app"? My system won't let me click on the Acrobate program to select it (in applications)as it is greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous.  I just "upgraded" to an HP scanner from a Brother and I find myself having a more difficult time with Acrobat.  How is it possible that Adobe does not support HP scanners?  I have tried everything here and none of it seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent hours yesterday and all day today to find out that there is not a solution. Couldn't be more frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2012 Jul 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with my HP 7515.  Adobe X with iMac.  Won't recognize the scanner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2013 Sep 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim-from-coll,

There is no need to go to the system prefs everytime you want to scan something... just make sure you keep the icon for your printer/scanner in the dock (or from there drag it on the launchpad icon in the dock to add it to the launchpad - this is what I did). You can also achieve this by going to your (hidden) ~/Library/Printers/ folder from where you can drag it to the dock or to the launchpad (by dragging on the launchpad icon in the dock).

So for me, scanning to Acrobat Pro XI (or X) just takes three clicks: (1) to launch the printer/scanner by clicking on it in the dock or the launchpad, (2) click on scanner icon in the printer/scanner window that had just opened and (3) then click on scan (after having selected Scan to: Acrobat Pro XI in the details panel to the right of the scanner window).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for that post.... HP vs Adobe vs Mac..... gotta love it.   They say it won't work, but it does, one page at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Baloney. It depends upon the Scanner. I have c310 ePrinter/Scanner.

The Twain Specification has been out since Apple came out with a Scanner on their own  about 1990.  And If yu will look for S.A.N.E for Macintosh.

Install the appropriate software. Then look for the proper  Driver in the list. It's slow but it works.

I used with a UMAX Scanner for ages using the SANE/Twain software back bac as far back as Acrobat 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

last update I see in this thread is from July, but since I just purchased a new HP Photosmart printer and now I can't create PDF from scanner (nothing shows up in scanner drop down) - I'm guessing this still hasn't been addressed.

I am baffled as to how such a simple function can be released broken and remain unaddressed for so long.

Any word from Adobe as to when this very important feature will be fixed?  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe say it's up to HP to support their own scanners and that it's not an Adobe issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - what incredible customer support ... loosely translated ... "screw the customer, it's the other guys problem".

Thanks for the response Tim - I'll quit wasting my time with Adobe now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03378792&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&os=219&product=3777...

Depending on your printer and the type of driver update, you might need to scan in a different way than you did before you installed Mountain Lion.

NOTE:Scanning to the computer from the printer control panel is not available when you scan with Preview, Image Capture, or Printer browser methods. You must use HP Scan software to scan from the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you cannot scan from your HP device.  Apparently the reason is that Adobe only supports the TWAIN-compliant software for scanning, but the HP device is not TWAIN-compliant, it is ICA-Compliant. 

Pretty lame on both companies.  Neither can seem to answer the simple question of why, it took a fair amount of research.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-Printing-and-Scanning/Scan-from-Adobe-Acrobat-Pro-to-Photosmart-751...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Coach, seems like you will need to do the (silly) steps that I do by scanning in with Preview first, then open the particular file with Acrobat. Annoys the crap out of me! One would think it more streamlined to go 'Create' >> 'PDF from Scanner' >> Choose scanner ... from within Acrobat.

Hmmm ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2013 Jan 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So today, January 18, 2013, OSX 10.8.2 has released the newest HP Drivers, and still this problem persists. I decided to cal HP, and will save you all the long conversation, because it all comes down to this one thing: According to HP, if the printer prints, and it scans using THEIR scan utility, then the hardware works as it was intended and their is no problem. They basically said, and hung up on me when I asked for clarification, that HP designs its products to work with its software and could care less if it doesn't work with another companies software.

The ball, as they say, is now in Adobe's court as to wheather they will attemp to please their consumers and make this work, or if we as consumers need to buy something other than HP FROM NOW ON.

I, for one, have been scanning directly into Adobe products since 1993, and am very discouraged that I am now being prevented from doing so.

Mac OSX 10.8.2

HP OfficeJet 6500A Plus (which may be available at my next garage sale!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2013 Jan 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's HP not Adobe who are not cooperating on this.

I've now changed my printer to a Brother printer, as I've given up on HP; they are not interested in Mac users.
Brother provides the necessary Twain driver for their printer - HP doesn't and won't.
Adobe Acrobate scanning works fine with Brother software and their inks are cheaper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines