Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why does my rendered movies jitter?..:(

Mar 28, 2011 3:25 AM

Ive rendered movies from ae in imported it into pp, but when i play it back it jitters, the same thing happens when i go through the dynamic link option.. can anyone please tell me how to go about fixing this problem? thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2011 8:24 AM   in reply to funkychick7

Things to read that may/should help... and questions to answer

How to give more information for someone to help http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679
    Some specific information that is needed...
    Brand/Model Computer (or Brand/Model Motherboard if self-built)
    How much system memory you have installed, such as 2Gig or ???
    Operating System version, such as Win7 64bit Pro... or whatevevr
    -including your security settings, such as are YOU the Administrator
    -and have you tried to RIGHT click the program Icon and then select
    -the Run as Administrator option (for Windows, not sure about Mac)
    Your Firewall settings and brand of anti-virus are you running
    Brand/Model graphics card, sush as ATI "xxxx" or nVidia "xxxx"
    -or the brand/model graphics chip if on the motherboard
    -and the exact driver version for the above graphics card/chip
    -and how much video memory you have on your graphics card
    Brand/Model sound card, or sound "chip" name on Motherboard
    -and the exact driver version for the above sound card/chip
    Size(s) and configuration of your hard drive(s)... example below
    -and how much FREE space is available on each drive (in Windows
    -you RIGHT click the drive letter while using Windows Explorer
    -and then select the Properties option to see used/free space)
    While in Properties, be sure you have drive indexing set OFF
    -for the drive, and for all directories, to improve performance
    My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
    1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all programs
    2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video projects
    3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write
    Make sure you have the default Windows hard drive indexing set to OFF for all hard drives and folders
    Some/Much of the above are available by going to the Windows
    Control Panel and then the Hardware option (Win7 option name)
    OR Control Panel--System--Hardware Tab--Device Manager for WinXP
    Plus Video-Specific Information http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220?tstart=0
    And, finally, the EXACT type and size of file that is causing you problems
    -for pictures, that includes the camera used and the pixel dimensions
    Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0
    What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0
    What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0
    For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
    For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/
    Read Bill Hunt on editing a VOB/MPG file http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549?tstart=0
    Edit Vob http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:How_do_I_import_VOB_files_/_edit _a_DVD%3F
    Read Hunt on Using MOD/TOD files http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699990?tstart=0
    Also, For Windows (not sure about Mac) This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
    Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220?tstart=0
    If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section at the troubleshooting link

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2011 3:09 AM   in reply to funkychick7

Some basic steps:

1. Tune your system, see Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista... which also applies to Win7.

2. Update your drivers.

3. Disable AVG.

4. Disable unnecessary processes and services. Check with Process Explorer that you have no more than 40 - 50 processes running.

5. Add another disk, clean up your existing disks and defrag them.

If you still have jitters, consider an Intel based system.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2011 8:38 AM   in reply to funkychick7

>exported it as a mpeg with the mpeg2 codec

Mpeg is a highly compressed file that is difficult to edit

Export your files to DV-AVI Type II with 48KHz 16-bit Audio for editing

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 12:10 AM   in reply to funkychick7

did you ever figure out the problem with the jittering?

I have the same problem when panning.  My video plays fine in the camera and in windows media player but doesn't play smooth when I import it to Premiere Pro CS5.  There is a stuttering between frames.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 8:33 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Give me a break..

that's his way of telling you he has no idea how to fix jitters

whats kind of reply is that anyway.

i mean seriously, why is there a certain clique of people online who's only answer to everyone of your questions is:

1. Is your computer plugged in?

2. What brand of Ram do  you use and how many GB, because 2 GB is different from 4 GB and thats different from 12 GB, dontcha know..  and what kind of RAM is it? and is the model number of all sticks the same?

3. Is you computer 32-bit or 64-bit, because if you have more than 3.5 GB ram on a 32-bit your obviously a noob

4. What brand is your Power Supply? and what is the power?

5. Are you using multiple extension cords? and in what room in your home do you do your computing?

6. Is your house currently under construction? and could there be a Skill Saw plugged in by your computer that may still be running?

7. What kind of Mother Board are you using? what is the brand & model and what version of Bios are you using, and what kind of slots does it have? how many memory slots as well? 

8. What kind of CPU are using? is it installed upside down? and is it a Pentium 2? Because I hope not.... dont you know that no videos were ever made on a computer prior to 2011?

9. And are you using SATA cables? and if so, how many and what kind? did you get the cheap ones? are they bent in funny directions? and are they plugged in?

10. How many hard drives do YOU have? I have 10, and they are all the best models in the world. I hope you know that.

11. is it possible your mobile phone could be interefing? how many friends do you even have anyway? i have 54...

12. Do you have Windows Installed correctly? I think the first thing you should do is reformat all of your drives and try installing Windows again

13. Give me a list of every piece of software on computer.

14. Send me some photos of what you like when you're using the computer

until i have the above information, there is no way I can ever help you, your first post was completely useless for me, a real die-hard "troubleshooter"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 8:36 PM   in reply to chinarabbit

i fact, a more knowledable & able person might reply as such:

"Jitters can be caused by:

1. (Feel free to tout a long list of your elite knowledge & skill here)"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 9:00 PM   in reply to chinarabbit

Did you resurrect this old thread just to bash other users, or do you have a Premiere Pro question you'd like help with?

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 9:10 PM   in reply to chinarabbit

chinarabbit wrote:

i fact, a more knowledable & able person might reply as such:

"Jitters can be caused by:

1. (Feel free to tout a long list of your elite knowledge & skill here)"

Framerate, field order or interlacing, Crosshatch Moiring(sp?), Color with way out of bounds values for the selected video format.

......And the ever present weak system.

Oh snap..... I saw march dates and figured it was a continous thread. Same  time next year, I guess.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 5:37 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

i think anyone searching the internet for "Jittery Video" will be redirected here, or find this in top of the google results

and I, and everyone else, reads teh same thing, the same way.. I simply dont think this thread contains any answers at all.

For the Default DV video, my rendered movie had slight movement at various places in the still images..

I tried rendering with QT and it gave me an error, i dont know why, i have QT Pro, maybe its outdated..

I rendered as MP4 H.264 and it worked fine., but that also happened after a restart. My comnputer is very far from crappy, and has no problem rendering from Autodesk 3DSmax, Poser, or Maya.. and its about 100 times more powerful than when I was editing video back in Premirer 6.5

how can it POSSIBLY be hardware related, when i was using 6.5 when it first came out and all my videos never had any Jitter, in a 32-bit  Windows XP that I think had 1 or 2 GB of ram, and like 128MB ATI Graphics Card.. and they didnt even have Sata Drives back then

i'm now at 12GB Ram, on Win764-bit, with a 2GB ATI card, and a Quad-core Multi-Threading Pentium Processor, thats lightyears beyond what I used to use when I never got any jtter at all, ever.

So, is this something in CS6's DV rendering? anyway, I think Jittery aresas of still images is unacceptable. and I dont see any real list or idea to address jitter, barring the very last post, vaguely..

and ya.. dont forget what you write in reply to one person on the internet is likely the same reply everyone will be reading for decades to come.. . i.e., make it useful.. dont just drop in and spout off attacks against the person asking the question and give nobody on the entire planet any sort of help at all, whatsoever.. thats what I was addressing..

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2013 5:47 AM   in reply to chinarabbit

and ya.. dont forget what you write in reply to one person on the internet is likely the same reply everyone will be reading for decades to come.. . i.e., make it useful..

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

HappyStPatricksDay.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 6:00 AM   in reply to chinarabbit

Is it PAL DV?  There have been some issues with CS6 and PAL DV.

Is the jitter only on the portions of the clip(s) that contain still images?

I'm confused by what you said about MP4.  Did the jitter disappear when you exported to MP4, only to reapper in the same type of export after you rebooted?

"Jitter" can describe things from dropped frames to inverted field order to the thin lines on serif fonts flickering on and off in interlaced video.  It would help if you could upload a clip somewhere for us to download so that we can see what you are seeing.

And although hardware is almost certainly not an issue in your case, if a user's disk i/o is such that frames get dropped during encoding or rendering, then fixing the hardware will fix the jitter. 

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 6:16 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

ya, exactly, its the weirdest thing..  PAL, and its just like isolated patches, almost like certain parts of the image just seem to wobble around a little, and not square patches, like the wobbling areas are the same as certain elements in the image, like maybe all the high contrast areas or something..

that was PAL "DV" settings.. which DV seemed to be the default.. i selected "MP4" instead, and H.264, and rendered it very smoothly, with no jitters at all, it looked really good, like you'd expect it to.

so, that means to say that all of the DV .AVI files with various settings all had the jitter in 80% of the stills... but when I rendered to an .MP4 file instead, it worked smoothly.

Maybe you can suggest what the best format might be to get the highest quality image I will eventually convert to smaller .flv files

I usually use QT to convert my video files.. but i saw Premiere had quite alot of smaller portable formats that i've never seen before, since I havent used Premiere in a few years.. so I might tinker with those..

I remember I almost always rendered to Highest Quality AVI files in the past.. then converted to my Portable format.. is that still a good way?

maybe I'll try NTSC.. it doesnt really matter since its for web-delivery mostly anyway, at the moment, but soon may expand to DVD shipping..

thanks for your help

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to chinarabbit

For your high-quality intermediate files, you can use an AVI container with the UT or Lagarith codec, or a MOV container using Photo-JPEG at 75% (which uses 4:2:2 color sampling) or 100% (which uses 4:4:4 color sampling), or you can use MXF OP1a using AVC-I 100.  All of these will produce visually lossless master and archival quality clips so that you can use them later any way you want. 

What you are describing seems to be a slower effect than the rapid shaking back and forth that is normally associated with "jitter".  Again, we're flying blind here until we can see a sample of what you're seeing.

What size is your source video/images and what size is your intended delivery video?  If you're going from HD down to SD, you may simply need to select Maximum Render Quality in the Export Settings to give your export quality a big boost (at the expense of longer render times).

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

I'm not seeing the UT or Lagarith codecs, also dont see MXF OP anywhere... are they free and come with Premiere? I'm not itnersted in any 3rd party promotions

and by 75% do you mean teh "Quality" setting, in the Basic Video Settings?

I Tried selecting both "Render at Maximum Depth" and "Use Maximum Render Quality" and a combination of them, as well as "Use Frame Blending", etc..

The Test Video I made was on a default stage sixe of  720x576 PAL Widescreen @ 25fps

As for an example, a 30 second clip is 108MB.. it takes forever to upload.. Here is a small clip from something that shows some of this problem in these Pal DV videos  Here

It Jitters like crazy around the fonts and on certain stills, particularly in narrow bright areas surrounded with darker areas, it seems.. not the whole still, just parts seem to wiggle

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to chinarabbit

well, it doesnt seem to be jittering much after i uploaded that clip.. which is weird.. but it jitters in every single one of my Media Players.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 11:02 AM   in reply to chinarabbit

It Jitters like crazy around the fonts and on certain stills, particularly in narrow bright areas surrounded with darker areas, it seems

Depending on how narrow the bright areas are and how fine an edge the fonts have, this could be an unavoidable consequence of interlaced video.  If so, then that explains why MP4 and photobucket versions don't show the problem -- they're likely encoded progressive by default.

I don't have time to address all the other issues you brought up, but I can almost guarantee that if you use the right sequence setting and the right export settings, you'll eliminate the problem completely.  Pr's defaults for a lot of things aren't ideal for web delivery, and if you rely on the defaults you can easily end up inducing problems for yourself.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points