• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not Enough Memory to open the Illustration- HELP!?

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2011 Dec 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I support many users here at my company on several different systems but unfortunately there is no real support for Adobe programs.. Any idea on why one of my users is getting this error message? We just upgraded all to Adobe CS5.0 and everytime she opens a sketch in CS5 this error message comes up stating "Not enough memore to open the illustration." I've already re-installed the CS5.0 suite a couple different times and IT double checked and the user has plenty of memory on her computer..She's on a PC if this helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Since she can't open past this error message, she has to go back to using CS4, but we're eventually removing CS4 from all the computers.. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen with only one file or with others as well?

Does this happen on other computers?

Can the file be opened with CS4?

What's in the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,
It's many other files, it happens randomly so far. For example, this past Friday she did not receive this error, now today, Monday she is..I'm able to open the same files on my computer without getting this error. And yes she is able to open the same file in CS4. Not sure how to answer the last question, other then a sketch with 3 artboards? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just subscribed to Illustrator and I have experienced the same problem the first time I used it after upgrading from the trial version.

Interetsingly, when I used the trial version, I opened and edited several files which were larger than the one I am having problems with now (a 9MB jpeg).

My OS is Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I have a lot of memory to bank on.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say you can open it on your computer, is the installation (computer, ram, system, ....) the same as here computer or do you have the same installation to compare it with.

If so and it is only going wrong on here computer, than this can only mean there is something wrong on here computer. In that case reformatting could be a option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CHM- How do I go about reformatting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue with Adobe Illustrator CS5 on a computer running Windows 7 64bit. The computer in question is configured the same way as several others in the same business unit, but this is the only one that is having trouble with Illustrator. The error will first appear seemingly at random upon opening a file, but afterwards nothing can be opened in Illustrator without returning the "not enough memory" error. Illustrator itself doesn't seem to open correctly either, and appears as an extremely minimized window with barely enough room for the File and Edit menus. I have already checked the computer while the error message was cropping up, and it was not running low on either hard drive space or RAM, nor was the Illustrator process using up an inordinate amount of system resources.

Rebooting will sometimes resolve the issue temporarily. I was also able to temporarily resolve the issue by browsing to C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\ and renaming the Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings folder. When I next opened Illustrator, the folder was rebuilt from scratch and everything was working normally again. After a little while, the problem resurfaced until the folder was renamed again. It seems that something in the settings folder is becoming damaged, but I don't know which file specifically or why that is happening. The user the computer was set up for works with many of the same files that others in her business group work with on a daily basis, and this issue has not cropped up for any of them.

Any advice on how to track down the exact source off the problem would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grant- YES! The same exact thing! Word for word..Advice very much appreciated, please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already defragment the disk in the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The drive is not fragmented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grant- between yours and CHM responses I'm confused.. Am I supposed to defragment something? Thank you so much by the way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Grant!!!   I was having the same problem.  Re-booting didn't help.  Changing the Roaming\Adobe settings file name worked -- for now.  Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2011 Dec 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm an IT technician. I have one of my users who is facing this memory issue. She is the only one who is repeatedly getting this. When she initially got the problem, we were unable to fix it (re-installing, googling fixes) so we sent her a new HDD and it was finally resolved. After say 6 months she reported the problem again. I had uninstalled, cleaned reg entries, temp and rebooted. Installed the app back, ran the latest patch 15.0.2 and rebooted and it started working again. Now after 2 weeks she has reported the problem again. I have tried same steps to fix it. The problem is, she is the only person with this issue. Her team has no such issues. Any help would be appreciated.

She is using LenovoT410, Intel I5, 8GB RAM.

Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2011 Dec 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be out of the office starting 12/16/2011 and will not return until

01/03/2012.

For issues/questions with WebPDM or Enovia please contact the Help Desk.

Happy Holidays!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue on a brand new MacBook Pro with a ton of memory and a recently installed version of  Illustrator 5.1.  Problem just started occuring a couple of days again.  The only help posted from Adobe related to the "Not enough memory to open the Illustration" message is that the file is corrupted.  I'm having the same issue intermittently with many files so I don't believe the error issue is related to a corrupt file.  Weirdly, I followed another poster's advice and placed the 'corrupt' file in a new illustrator file. After closing the 'new' file out I then was able to open the original file with no problems. Lion OS is 64bit also, could that be an issue? Sorry the tech stuff is beyond me. The prospect of losing important files to a software glitch is very scary, come on Adobe time to step up and figure this one out!

Thank you,

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

this tends to happen to me for no apparent reason all the time.

I haven't found any way [including task managing / formatting / reinstalling / what have you] to fix this.

What seems to work most of the time, though, is this:

• start up Illustrator and open the file through the program

[not by doubleclicking the file icon of your illustration or dropping it inside the program].

It doesn't make the problem go away, but it will get your files open.

Vojta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I have had this problem since CS2 on a couple of MBPs, always with the latest systems. My current can is a 17" MBP 2.2 Ghz with 8 GB RAM and 10.7.4 plus Illustrator CS4 (14.0.0).

The error message comes up now and then when I try to open a file with one or a few already open (but not always, it's very sporadic). What always helps for me is restarting Illustrator. The problem has nothing to do with corrupt files, since the files will open nicely after restart.

This has been annoying me for years, and I'm still waiting for a bug fix.

Gunnar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened to me several times off and on

Generally, there is nothing wrong with any components of your computer and your file is not corrupt.

The only corruption is in your Illustrator preferences.

The link below describes a couple ways to delete your pref's

http://www.justskins.com/forums/small-file-yet-not-96071.html

Deleting pref's has worked for me every time

(I have no idea how they get corrupted, but it is what's happening)

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked for the Illustrator Preferences in my Win 7.

In order to be sure before I take any action, would the file to be deleted be AIPrefs in C:>Users>Administrator>AppData>Roaming>Adobe>Adobe Illustrator Settings>en_GB>?

Thanks

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is it but what you do is rename or move the whole settings folder not just the preference file inside otherwise you may not get the right element that is corrupt and believe it or not the folder itself can become compromise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much that solution works for me I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just read through this thread and am astounded that Adobe arent:

a) Contributing to the discussion with some clear and specific instructions to resolve this and

b) Providing access to some form of technical support (paid for) where a technician will access your PC and fix this.

I'm not confident to try some of the fixes proposed. I now have an expensive piece of business software that cannot be used.

Step up Adobe - I feel a Twitter campaign coming on.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error can take place for a variety of reasons.

Some are simply related to how memory is managed, many of which we attempted to resolve in CS6.

Others are related to things like damaged preferences, which was mentioned earlier. This is when steps contained in http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e07d0100196cbc5f-630ca.html might be useful to help reset them.

Some versions of this error message are actually do to how the application window isn't large enough and it would be a good idea to make sure that when you open the application without the file, that it is in a reasonable dimension instead of say, a 1x1 pixel square.

We would really recommend trying your preferences first. With a bit more information relating to your system then other recommendations can be made by myself or others.

If on a Mac OS system, one of the easiest, safest things to try is to restart into Safe Boot if preferences don't help the behavior. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

This can help narrow down if there is any outside interference potentially adding to the issue. Similar steps can be made on Windows systems but that is just an example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines