Skip navigation
Diazstyle12
Currently Being Moderated

Printing problem or preferences? help pls

Mar 19, 2012 1:12 PM

-Hi guys it's been 4 days that i am trying to figure out the problem that i have but i cant find a solution. So i need your help pls.. i am using indesign cs5 at my work place and when i print my document ( a  newspaper about 10 pages) the pages number show up on top of the pages ( or spread). I dont want then show up , i only want all my pages (spread) show up without numbering).. i even didnt put them on my document.whereas when i print a single page i dont have this problem

-The other thing is when i am using facing pages and i print my document i have an effect on my page around the border and i dont want that either...

Please anyone can help .. We just started using it ( we were using PageMaker and that was working fine)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to Diazstyle12

Are the page numbers visible on screen?

Generally speaking page numbers don't magically appear by themselves. Often the number markeer will be included in a text frame on the master page. If the numbers are NOT visible on screen, however, it's possible they are being included as page information as part of the output. Check the Marks and Bleeds section of the output dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to Diazstyle12

Are you printing from a PDF, or direct from the .indd file?

Can you show me a screen capture (in InDesign) of the top of the page and the pasteboard area above it in the regaion where the numbers how up in your prints, please? You can use the camera icon on the web page to embed an image in your post like this:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to Diazstyle12

It woudl be good if you could show me that agaion, but without the added numbers. And just to be sure, please use the Selection tool to drag a selection marquee around that area on the pastboard to make sure there really are no frames there.

I'd also like to see the marks and bleeds panel of your print dialog.

Are you printing to film to make plates, direct to plates, or direct to paper? What sort of printing device?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to Diazstyle12

Seeing two pages per sheet in the print diaslog makes me think there is a setting inthe driver that you use to get that. I'd look in the driver for the page number, too. I don't see any evidence, as you say, that ID is adding it, which pretty much only leaves the printer itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 7:57 PM   in reply to Diazstyle12

In the print dialog you have thumbnails turned on to print 2up.

If you uncheck the thumbnails box and then go to the Marks and Bleed section you will see that you have Page Information checked.

When you have the thumbnails checked, the Marks and Bleed will be completely grayed out like you show above.

Just tried this myself. The tipoff was the Thumbnails checkbox..

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to Bo LeBeau

AH! Thumbnails. Good catch. I never print thumbnails...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to Diazstyle12

So the real problem is that you want to print two-up spreads, right? Have you tried using Print Booklet?

What size is the layout page size, and what size sheet are you printing on?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to Diazstyle12

Print booklet has many advantages over thumbnails. The biggest is you can impose (arrange) the pages for assembly so the are in the correct order if you are using multiple sheets (4, 8, 12, 16... pages -- needs to be a multiple of 4) and the first and and last page will print next to each other , then page two and the next to last on the back of that sheet, and so forth (choose 2-up saddle stitch). To get the same order you are getting from thumbnails, use 2-up consecutive. If you don't have a duplexing printer (two-sided print capability), on Windows it's really easy to print a PDF that you can manually flip when you print from Acrobat, if you have Acrobat Pro and the AdobePDF virtual printer. On Snow Leapard and later, theough, it's a royal pain to get a PDF from Print Booklet.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)