Skip navigation
Bluephy
Currently Being Moderated

Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?

Mar 18, 2012 12:26 PM

Tags: #cs5.5 #mac_os_x #printing #separations #acrobat_pro_10

I have InDesign CS5.5 on a MAC OS X and need to print separations.  However, in the print panel, the "print to" Acrobat PDF is not available as an option, and thus, I do not get the option to print seps. Also, PostScript does not show that option either.  And since I have an inkjet printer, its drivers will not recognize separations - the reason why I need to "print to PDF" so each color sep will print, complete with spot color name. Now... I could go back to my PC and use CS4 and I think it will work... but I would rather skip that step and just use cs5.5 on my Mac. Thanks for any ASAP help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to Bluephy

I think you'll find instructions down in the comments of this post for adding print to postscript capability so you can distill your seps: InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Acrobat’s Adobe PDF Printer Replaced in Snow Leopard

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to Bluephy

You have to read the comments to see how to add the AdobePDF or Acrobat 9 ppd (I'm on Windows, so I don't remember the details exactly). Then you can print to file, and fianlly distill the file you printed.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2012 10:11 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi,

If you need the Acrobat 9 ppd , then follow these steps:-

1. Quit InDesign.

2. Navigate to /Applications/Adobe Indesign CS5/Presets/.     

3. Within the Presets", folder Create a folder called PPDs (the folder name is case-sensitive).

4. Control-click the following link and choose Save Link As to download the Acrobat 9 PPD:

5. Place a copy of the downloaded PPD into the folder you created in step 3.

then when you will open the indesign and go to File>Print

choose printer as "postscript file" , you will be able to choose the PPD as "adobe 9 pdf" , after that you will be able to print in seperations.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Bluephy

Yes , but you will not be able to locate the Acrobat 10 ppd as it was not provided.

When you install the Acrobat 10 then the adobe pdf printer doesn't get installed , it was used to happen in the older version hence the ppd for acrobat 10 is not present.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 6:10 PM   in reply to Bluephy

You are wrong. There is no Acrobat X printer provided by Adobe for Snow Leopard and Lion and future MacOs X OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 9:57 PM   in reply to Bluephy

No, Bluephy, I'm saying you're wrong. You were given a workaround for installing the Acrobat 9 PPD. You're just too bull headed to listen to people who are trying to help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to Bluephy

Okay, since noboody else asked, I will.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by printing separations to an ink jet printer?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Mar 20, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to Bluephy

Are you Distilling the Postscript file?

When you select PostScript and the Acrobat 9 PPD you'll get a Save not Print button. Should look like this if you've correctly installed the Acrobat 9 PPD:

Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 10.03.19 AM.png

After you distill the postscript file you'll have a separated PDF which you can print from any version of Acrobat

Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 10.05.55 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Mar 20, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to Bluephy

So, the only thing I can think of is to somehow revert to Adobe PDF 9.0?

The issue is with OSX. I'm using Acrobat 8 and can't do it—you would have to go back to 10.5 and even then I'm not sure you can skip the Distiller step with a non postscript printer

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to Bluephy

I'm guessing you didn't really take the time to read the article I linked a couple of days ago. Buried in the comments, among other valuable information, is this link: http://a.imagehost.org/download/0880/en_lproj that leads to a zip file that contains many ppd files, including the Acrobat 9 ppd that you need. You'll also find fairly good directions in some old posts here, I think, if you search.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Mar 20, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to Bluephy

However, the workaround does not seem to be working since I have Acrobat Pro 10 (X)...  is my guess.

What do you get when you distill the postscript?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Bluephy

Have you tried just printing to the Postscript file with the generic postscript printer PPD?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Mar 20, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Bluephy

The PPD (not to be confused with PDF) you choose isn't related to your version of Acrobat. In my screen capture (#12), I'm saving postscript via the Acrobat 9 PPD and Distilling with Acrobat 8 without any problems.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Mar 20, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to Bluephy

You do have to install the Acrobat 9.0 PPD as others have suggested. Note that in Manish's step 4 make sure you Control-click and Save Link As—a click will take you to the PPD's code.

When you save the Postscript, open Acrobat Distiller and open your saved .ps file. If you have set Color to Separations in the ID print dialog I think the default Distiller options will give you separated pages. Distiller also lets you set up hot folders, so that any postscript file saved to the folder automatically gets converted to a PDF.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Mar 20, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob, with OSX as soon as you choose PostScript the print button changes to Save. All my printers are Postscript so I've never had a reason to Print to PDF, but I don't think there's ever been a way to avoid DIstiller for something like this.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to Bluephy

@bluephy.....

Have a look on the link which is the Kb article by Adobe in which it explains that the Acrobat 9.1 update will remove the Adobe pdf printer on Mac os snow lopard.

http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/cant-print-pdfs-mac-os.html

and on the same basis the Acrobat X doesn't create the Adobe PDF printer and also doesn't provide Adobe 10 ppd.

This is not the change that came up with the Acrobat 10 , it started with the acrobat 9.1 update.

That was the reason i went ahead and provided you the workaround wherein you can have the Acrobat 9 ppd and can make the postscript file using the Indesign Print option. Once you will distill this .ps(postscript file) using Acrobat Distiller then it will make the pdf which can be used for printing from any application that suppport PDF.

Having Acrobat X application and having the Acrobat X PPD is completely different, PPD is the driver that is used to drive the Application for printing the PDF or Postscript. However it is Acrobat X is the appliaction .

On MAC,  the print as PDF was removed and Save as PDF was introduced, The steps I gave you are the workaround just because Acobat X ppd is not there, You could use the Acrobat 9 PPD to make the postscript and then convert(Distill) it to PDF as robday posted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------

When You are following the steps please be aware of these things:-

---PPD's folder you craete under the /Applications/Adobe Indesign CS5/Presets/ is Case-Sensitive.

---Download the PPD file on the desktop first.

---Once saved the file, the name of the file should be "ADPDF9.PPD" , sometime on MAC some addtional text or extension gets added automatically while downloading the file.)PLEASE CHECK THE FILENAME AND EXTENSION

---Copy the file to the Corrct folder.

--Re-open the Indesign and then check.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Oh yes, I know that. But I thought the problem here was simply not having the Acrobat PPD.

I’m really guessing here but simply creating the postscript using the generic PPD should probably be fine since it’s only being printed from an inkjet printer.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Mar 20, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to Bluephy

I need to print seps from my inkjet printer for representation.  My printer does not print seps, and I assume because it is an Inkjet, or because its drivers will not support this.  I am using Spot Colors.

If all your colors are spot, you could try using Ink Manager to Alias the spots to a "hidden" color and simulate a separation. Here I have two Pantone spots and a third spot color called Hidden, which is an RGB white. To print the Yellow sep I alias the Orange color to Hidden, and for the Orange sep I alias Yellow to the Hidden color. This wouldn't work if you need to show an overprint:

Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 3.12.08 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 3.12.45 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 3.20.34 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to Bluephy

Bluephy wrote:

Rob, could you clarify that question for me?  Im not sure what you mean by distill.

I think that's the crux of the problem. On Mac making the PDF is now a two-step process. First you must make the postscript (that's waht the PPD file is for -- it describes the PDF device), THEN you must open that postcritpt file in Distiller, a module of Acrobat Pro, and distill the PDF. The old print to PDF was just a shortcut that did the saveing of the psotscript and running through distiller for you in the background.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to Bluephy

You have to choose the Adobe PDF ppd, not device independent, in the dropdown. If it doesn't show up, try re-booting, and if it still isn't there you probably don't have the PPD in the right place.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I checked that article at ID secrets again, and the commenst say, regarding the location of the PPD: Copy it back to “Library > Printers > PPDs > Contents > Resources

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to Bluephy

@bluephy

You haven't followed the steps properly...sorry to say.

In the screen shot by you , the adpdf9.ppd is under "PPD" .....However it should be PPD's----same to same with the case-sensitivity.

Just rename the folder PPD to PPD's and it's gonna work for you.

I can bet on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Manish:

It's "PPDs" NOT "PPD's" (no apostrophe).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Yes, steve you are right my mistake....

I think I lost the bet.

@bluephy

Just rename the folder PPD to PPDs(no apostrophe) and it's gonna work for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points