Skip navigation
Wolphin8
Currently Being Moderated

Will not append profiles

Mar 15, 2012 9:22 PM

I have confirmed the EXIF information is correct with my DNG files, with all showing the same lens ID of 158.  The profiles seem to not be reporting that correctly, it is using a random number, preventing me from having it combine the profiles automatically.  I have to manually combine them to get all the focal lengths and apatures that I took (4 focal lengths, with 6 apatures on all but the longest, which had 5, for a total of 23 profiles!).

I have confirmed all the shots taken have the same lens ID, but the system keeps saying "inconsistant".  This is very annoying.

Camera: Nikon D7000

Lense: Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5/5.6 ED VR

Shots taken in 14-bit NEF RAW mode, downloaded from the card via Adobe Bridge CS5, which was set to convert to DNG format.

Has there been any other way than manually combining profiles created?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 16, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to Wolphin8

Unfortnately this is a know issue of Nikon D7000. This specific camera model encrypts the MakerNotes info about the LensID. The version of ALPC unfortunately did not handle the encyprtion well. The bug is fixed in the later version of ACR/LR, but not ALPC is still using the old version of the library. The only known workaround is to replace the LensID generated by the ALPC with those reported in ACR/LR and merge the profile manually. Or if you have access to other Nikon camera bodies, use those for profiling instead.

-Simon

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to simonsaith

Can you point us to directions on how to do such? Thanks

simonsaith wrote:

Unfortnately this is a know issue of Nikon D7000. This specific camera model encrypts the MakerNotes info about the LensID. The version of ALPC unfortunately did not handle the encyprtion well. The bug is fixed in the later version of ACR/LR, but not ALPC is still using the old version of the library. The only known workaround is to replace the LensID generated by the ALPC with those reported in ACR/LR and merge the profile manually. Or if you have access to other Nikon camera bodies, use those for profiling instead.

-Simon

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to simonsaith

I have a Rokinon 14mm 2.8 that is in dire need of a profile for the d7000.  I've created some, however I can't merge them, so it's not performing very well.  I need to be able to merge the different focusing distances and apertures, but am getting the error mentioned in the original post.

Please help me locate the information on how I can change the lens id generated by the profile creator and where I can find the lens id in acr/lr.  What program is used to change the id? Are the files text based that can be opened with notepad and the values manually changed?

I've done a few searches and can't find this information - Any help would very much be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 7:10 PM   in reply to chakd

I guess this isn't the place to get answers.  Disappointing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to chakd

Sorry. I just missed your queries.

The lcp files are xml files. You could use a text editor to cut-and-paste the relevant pieces together info the final combined file. See other valid lcp file that has multiple sub-profiles as examples. You could use your browser of choice to open your final combined file (make a copy and rename it to have .xml extension) for validation.

To get the correct LensID, open one of your raw files in Bridge/Photoshop, and bring up the FileInfo dialog, under the Advance panel, search for http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/aux, you will see the correct LensID there if it has one.

-Simon

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to simonsaith

Ah no problem - Thank you very much for the response!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to simonsaith

Hi there,

Shooting with 5D mark2 with EOS 50mm f1.4 at three focus distance groups, 9 aperture settings each (although in this case I was using 5 apertures each) and 9 pictures each:

The APLC software prompts me to save a profile for each Focus-Distance-Group and with no apparent way to integrate all into one profile (LCP file).

Could you please include in your reply an XML text example of how I should manualy edit the files (from your reply it seems I will have to save each and work on combining the lot as a post-process)?

Is the block starting with <rdf:li rdf:parseType="Resource"> is the part that needs appending? Does it contain the 'Focus Distance Group' for a given aperture?

Also, could we not have an option whereby the software does not stop at the end of each Focus Distance Group and simply complete an LCP file for the whole project?

Many thanks

Aviv

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 1:54 AM   in reply to simonsaith

Hi there,

Shooting with 5D mark2 with EOS 50mm f1.4 at three focus distance groups, 9 aperture settings each (although in this case I was using 5 apertures each) and 9 pictures each:

The APLC software prompts me to save a profile for each Focus-Distance-Group and with no apparent way to integrate all into one profile (LCP file).

Could you please include in your reply an XML text example of how I should manualy edit the files (from your reply it seems I will have to save each Focus-Distance-Group calibration as an LCP file and work on combining the lot as a post-process)?

Is the block starting with <rdf:li rdf:parseType="Resource"> is the part that needs appending? Does it contain the 'Focus Distance Group' for a given aperture?

Also, could we not have an option whereby the software does not stop at the end of each Focus Distance Group and simply complete an LCP file for the whole project?

Many thanks

Aviv

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to Aviv Y

Have you tried unchecking the "Always prompt the save profile dialog" in the Preferences in ALPC?  That should result in automatically concatenating the different data sets together into a single profile.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 2:08 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Thanks. That does run now through the different itterations. It makes me wonder why the "Always prompt the save profile dialog" is the default option.

Regardless, when saving a profile with a name of an already existed profile, I should expect to have the option to either concatenate the results or overwrite the profile - non of which currently happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Hi there,

In ALPC, under Display Names, I have placed:

Profile Name: EF50mm f/1.4 62303869 5D MII - 0330110657

Camera Name: Canon 5D Mark II 0330110657

Lens Name: EF50mm f/1.4 USM 62303869

The profile file generated carries the name: Canon EOS 5D Mark II (EF50mm f1.4 USM) - RAW

Clearly, not the one I had defined under Profile Name...although in the XML it does appear as <stCamera:ProfileName>EF50mm f/1.4 62303869 5D MII - 0330110657</stCamera:ProfileName>.

Now, I have generated a profile for a second 50mm f1.4 lens - using the same camera body. In that new project, under Display Names, I have placed:

Profile Name: EF50mm f/1.4 93300609 5D MII - 0330110657

Camera Name: Canon 5D Mark II 0330110657

Lens Name: EF50mm f/1.4 USM 93300609

Now, I am asked whether to append or over-write the existing profile.

The problem is - this second profile also carries the name: Canon EOS 5D Mark II (EF50mm f1.4 USM) - RAW

I have to manually re-name these LCP files for them to  appear in Lightroom3 as two separate models.

Am I missing something ?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to Wolphin8

This issue should be fixed in the latest Adobe Lens Profile Creator v 1.0.4.

See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1076183?tstart=0.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points