Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

'The file could not be created' - ACR v6.6

Jan 14, 2012 9:00 AM

Latest reply: RASouthworth, Mar 23, 2012 7:03 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to RASouthworth

Also look carefully at the users listed in the folders where ACR won't write.  Generally a program runs under the auspices of the logged in user and target folders have that user listed with full control, but it's possible to have the program running from one user and the target directory permissions set with another, or with the logged in user but not full control.

Richard Southworth

Added by edit - starting with Vista, programs run by users in the administrator group do not have full administrative rights,  too many XP users were killing their systems by dinking with system files, intentionally or otherwise.  Therefore permissions on folders/files are critical as to proper operation, nobody can just bulldoze changes with administrative rights.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 4:20 AM   in reply to RASouthworth

I too am running Vista x64 on a DELL and I have the same problem.

I had it a couple of years back and then it went away. It then reappeared a few months ago. Presumably, all this is related to ACR upgrades, some of which Vista likes, some it doesn't.

I don't deal in huge quantities of files, so saving them to the origingal folder and moving them afterwards isn't too much of a pain.

Is any other OS generating the same problem?

D.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to Dinarius

Just to make sure, the Adobe requirements for CS5 state Vista with Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2 recommended.  I hope those of you with this issue on Vista have applied every available update to the OS.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to RASouthworth

Hi Richard,

Yes, accoroding to Belarc Advisor, which I just ran, I've got Service Pack 2 installed.

I have the machine set to automatic updates, so I get prompted to install updates when shutting down.

I would be intrigued to know if there is someone running CS5/Vista/Sp2/Build 6002 who DOESN'T have this problem.

I accept, as was written above, that there are few of us running Vista x64 now. It was a turkey, that didn't even last til Christmas.But, I don't want to incur the cost of switching to Windows 7.

I use this machine for editing images - nothing else. All my other work, admin etc., is done on another (old) machine. So, I would like to solve the problem.

Thanks.

D.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to Dinarius

>I would be intrigued to know if there is someone running CS5/Vista/Sp2/Build 6002 who DOESN'T have this problem.

Being a career computer engineer, being involved with operating systems since before Microsoft even existed, plus having had specific training on file system security, I can honestly say that I understand it and have no problems with it.  But I can certainly see that without that kind of background how it can be confusing.  :)  And now with the advent of UAC things are even more complicated, because you're kind of a different user when you log in vs. when your privileges are escalated.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 1:33 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

1. When I boot up the machine, I am presented with two user options to log into, My Name and My Name-Administrator. I have *always* logged into My Name. So, why has the fault been intermittent? Was it due to Adobe or MSF?

2. Please tell me in child's english how to fix it.

Thanks.

D.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 21, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to dad2seven

Dad2seven, you did the right thing, setting your own user name to have Full Control permissions.  Assuming that succeeded fully, you should have no more problems accessing files on your hard drive.  A "SID" (security ID) without a local username is almost certainly a result of having set up permissions using another system - either the drive was moved from one system to another or you've installed a new operating system afresh without reformatting.  Even if you used the same username and password for a fresh install, a new SID is created.  There's nothing wrong with just leaving the old one there, unless you specifically don't want whatever user created it to be able to access the data any longer.

Dinarius, I'm not sure I can break it all the way down to child's english, but on a Windows system, access control is set up by granting (or in rare cases denying) permissions to specific users or groups of users.  A "user" is someone like you, whose username might be Dinarius.  A "group" could be "Administrators" or "Authenticated Users", for example.

The long and short of it is that if you want full control over the things on your hard drive (i.e., the ability to create/modify/delete files) then you'll want to grant your username Full Control permissions to all files and folders, very much along the lines of what dad2seven did.  Do this by starting with the root folder, and instructing Explorer to do the same things to all subfolders and files.

Under some conditions, if you do not already have sufficient privileges to change privileges, then you won't be able to directly set permissions.  But if your account is member of the Administrators group, you can go through a process whereby you Take Ownership of the files, then set up the permissions you want.  There are step by step tutorials online (especially on the Microsoft web site) about how to do this.  Here's one:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to dad2seven

Assuming one is moving only data back and forth a better approach is to set up the external drive with a FAT32 partition, which doesn't allow any permissions.  Windows 7 (not sure about Vista) doesn't have the capability to configure larger drives as FAT32, but there are several free untilities available on the web to do so, including the one I use guiformat.exe.

My process is to use Disk Management to partition and format the drive, using NTFS, and then run guiformat.exe to convert to FAT32.  Of course the conversion to FAT32 erases all data, so it may not be an easy task for your present disk.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 22, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to rasworth

I wouldn't agree with that, Richard.  FAT32 is an inferior file system to NTFS, and you have a higher chance of losing data.

I'd say set up the external drive so that the users on all the machines that use it have Full Control permissions.

If you want to be REALLY permissive, just set it up so that Everyone has Full Control permissions.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I've moved FAT32 sticks and drives back and forth with no problems.  I understand NTFS has some theoretical advantages, more of a database structure and handling, but in the real world (at least mine) FAT32 drives work well.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 22, 2012 10:25 PM   in reply to dad2seven

Can you screen grab all the permissions for a specific folder that is giving you trouble and post them here?  You'll need to capture a number of different screens.  I suspect the devil is in a detail somewhere.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 3:46 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Here's what I've tried.......

Firstly, this is a Dell desktop. No one but me has access to it.

In Computer/OS (C)/Program Files/Adobe, I right clicked on Adobe CS5 and opened the Security tab.

I see Me (Me - PC\Me), Administrators (Me - PC\Administrators) and Users (Denis - PC\Users)

Only the middle one has all the boxes ticked under Edit.

If I Edit the other two and tick all boxes/Apply/Save and then try saving a file to a new folder, I get the same error message. It can't see the new location.

Any other ideas?

Are there permissions associated with the drives on my computer that I should also be addressing? (There are three internal drives and two external drives. Internally, C: drive, RAW files drives and Edited Files drive. Externally, RAW files drive and Edited files drive) All Security tab boxes are ticked on all drives except for the last one, Special Permissions.

For what it's worth, OS(C)/Authenticated Users has only the Special Permissions box ticked in the Security tab. If I go to change this a warning message appears about possible problems being created.

I also ticked all security settings for Bridge and CS5 in the Program Files (x86) folder.

Thanks.

D.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 6:37 AM   in reply to dad2seven

FAT32 is good to 2TB in Windows 7, using an external utility to partition and format.  NTFS is a great file system, but its use in multiple system configurations requires expertise that not everyone possesses, and probably most Windows 7 users don't want to acquire.  I've seen many instances where users became frustrated trying to promulgate Everyone through an entire drive, without fully understanding ownership and other permissions issues.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to Dinarius

If one is going to use NTFS on external drives used to move data among Windows systems, then IMO it's important to properly prepare the drive from the beginning.  After partitioning and formatting and before any files are copied to the drive, I bring up the properties screen for the root of the drive, clear the indexing check box, and change the permissions in the security pane to Everyone only (see attached figure).  I also usually do this for any additional drives in my system, other than the system partition.

As long as folders/files are copied to the drive they will inherit the root's security settings.  It is still possible to "move" a folder to the drive with other security settings, although the default drag and drop between drives is a copy operation.

Richard Southworth

permissions.jpg

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers