Pagemaker and Windows 7

Dec 7, 2011 5:39 PM

Tags: #pagemaker7.0.1 #pagemaker
  Latest reply: CheryleDKing, Jun 15, 2012 4:40 PM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to kellir-nd

kellir-nd wrote:

And regarding the "taking a problem PDF into Photoshop"... there's a way easier way around it. Once you open the PDF in Photoshop, usually a window will pop up where you can change the resolution to 1000.

While that may help with text and any other vector objects, It's a very bad idea for any raster images (photos) in the pdf as it is asking photoshop to create pixels that don't exist. It will aslo create a ridiculously large file that will bog down pagemaker, and depending on how you output the file it could be a complete waste of time. If you output to pdf at 300 dpi you would loose any benfefit of the upsampling. If you output to pdf without changing the downsampling you would get the benefit, but also a ridiculously large pdf file. I could maybe see doing it this way if you were outputting your own plates, but with that kind of investment you wouldn't be using pagemaker, or if you found a printer that would accept native pagemaker files.

The Photoshop trick changes all fonts to curves,

No, curves is a term used by Corel Draw for outlines, which is a vector version of the text, without any of the hinting built into the font, a different problem altogether.  Photoshop rasterizes the text which is why you feel the need to boost the resolution to 1000 dpi.

Bob Caused this: if you are working in newsprint (65 lpi) 300 dpi can be overkill, 170 dpi is the standard for images at that lpi, but with rasterized text keeping it at 300 dpi is probably a good idea. 
    Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to kellir-nd

I think that Bob has already said his last word in this discussion; there isn't really anything new to add.

And I am sorry about the way you have taken this matter. There are several old timers who keep on coming back here to try to help PM users who are in trouble, and Bob is one of them. As a matter of fact, he suggested in this very same thread what seems to me a much safer and cleaner way of placing PDFs in PM files (by transforming them first to EPS format).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to kellir-nd

And of course Jay is also a great helper. Pity that you don't want to listen to what they are saying.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 11:20 PM   in reply to Claudio González

You know, people write LOL a lot, but your comment REALLY made me laugh out loud.  You are too cute!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 11:23 PM   in reply to ReneGnam

Thanks.  I’ll check that out for sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 11:24 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Boy, I sure struck gold.  You guys are full of good ideas!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 11:35 PM   in reply to kellir-nd

I’m keeping all these comments and going to write a book.  “The Ins and Outs of PageMaker. . . Like It Or Not”.  I’ll share the wealth with all of you!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 11:36 PM   in reply to Claudio González

p.s.

Naturally, I’ll write it with PageMaker!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 3:00 AM   in reply to CheryleDKing

You would need to go back years, before the great purging of the adobe forum, back to the days of newsgroups alt.aldus.pagemaker to get material for you book..

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to Jay Chevako

I don’t know. . .I’ve got some pretty good stuff.  And you guys aren’t willy-nilly.   You get into it.  Sometimes its way over my head ~ very impressive.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 9:51 AM   in reply to CheryleDKing

CheryleDKing wrote:

I’m keeping all these comments and going to write a book.  “The Ins and Outs of PageMaker. . . Like It Or Not”.  I’ll share the wealth with all of you!

There's many of the old FAQS here: http://www.bigjohnd.org.uk/PM_FAQs/PM_FAQs.zip  (Link is case sensitive)

Best of luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to BigJohnD

Big John,

Thank you for the info., however, I was unable to view the link you sent.

Cheryle

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to CheryleDKing

Cheryle, are you on a Mac? I am, and I couldn't open John's zipped file. I therefore transfered it to a Win machine, and the file expanded to a 213 page PDF which is full of all that wisdom that John collected patiently for years as FAQs in the old (pre-Jive) PM forum, FAQs we unfortunately lost in the transition to this new version of the forums. Do everything you can to decompress the file; it's a must for anyone taking PM seriously.

John, long time no see, hope everything is well with you. Still following your football team all over the world? Iechyd da!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio~

No, I’m not on a Mac.  Unfortunately, I have Windows 7.  Its new to me and I really don’t like it.  I mean, I like new things and try to adapt, but this Windows is so restricting.  I don’t know, maybe its just me.  I have decided the only thing I can do to get PageMaker is to put it on an old computer and set my new one aside.  Sadly.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to CheryleDKing

I've checked the link and it's fine - Windows 7 will open *.ZIP files with out any additional applications - in this case to reveal a 5Mb PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to CheryleDKing

Cheryle, I have just moved to a portable with Vista 7 and had no problem getting at the PDF using Explorer or Safari. Could you give details about what happened when you double clicked on John's link above, to see if we can help you?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 5:32 PM   in reply to Claudio González

It just hung with the hour glass.  I didn’t wait longer than 5 minutes.  Should I have waited longer?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 6:53 PM   in reply to CheryleDKing

No, it takes quite a lot less than that. Could you try again tomorrow after your computer has been shut down for the night? (I'm assuming this is what you normally do at night with your computer).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 7:06 PM   in reply to Claudio González

ok

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 3:03 AM   in reply to CheryleDKing

CheryleDKing wrote:

It just hung with the hour glass.  I didn’t wait longer than 5 minutes.  Should I have waited longer?

It's very quick for me, but then a) the server is nearby and b) it's my website!

Does the home page load almost immediately?   http://bigjohnd.org.uk/  It should - it's only a few kb with no images.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 3:09 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio González wrote:

John, long time no see, hope everything is well with you. Still following your football team all over the world? Iechyd da!

Yes, still loyal to my team.  Not doing too well, only won one minor trophy so far this season!

There's a big match tonight which I can't attend as I'm minute secretary for the Lifeboat and there's an important meeting tonight at the same time. (The Lifeboat website isn't very good)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 9:36 PM   in reply to BigJohnD

GREAT NEWS!!  I got PageMaker to load!  I’m as happy as a pig in. . .mud!  Really, its terrific!  Thanks for everybody’s help.  I love reading your emails.  (I’m still thinking about writing that book --- in PageMaker no less)

Again, thanks for everybody’s input.

Cheryle

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 3:21 AM   in reply to CheryleDKing

Cheryl, do you mean that you managed to get PM working on Win 7, or in an old computer? In any case, good for you if you need nothing more up to date or complete. Just don't forget that PM was always a very unstable program, even in the best conditions, so don't fail to stick to a good backing up strategy if you work on anything important or very long, and to try to keep your PM files no larger than a few MB. And a good backing up strategy doesn't mean just saving (Ctrl-S) repeatedly, because this can overwriting a good file with a corrupt one thus lose everything.

And remember that John's PDF is a must for anyone taking PM seriously. Or writing a book about it...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to Claudio González

I've recently re-installed Win7 32bit after a disk failure, and thought I'd see what happened if I installed PM7.  The installation files were on a second HDD as in the past I had them all ready for when PM started playing up.

PM7 installed in seconds, as did the updates to PM7.01 and PM7.01a.  No error mesages!

I found some old PM5 and PMD files and they opened OK - not even a font missing.  A 60 page publication opened all but immediately.  It's so much faster than I recall, but I am using a quad core CPU and 4Gb RAM.

Creating PDFs doesn't work, but that doesn't surprise me. It never was 100% reliable at the best of times.  Files printed nicely to my LaserJet 2300PS though.

So far so good, but I still sense it'll fall over and make a right mess.

PM7Win7.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to BigJohnD

Well, John, you surprise me. Shall we say that you were just lucky, as we often say to those who claim to have PM up and running in modern Windows OSs? Quite frankly, I'm beginning to feel tempted to try installing it my Win7 64 bit laptop. Just senile nostalgia, I would say, as I have no use for it nowadays. Or insaciable curiosity. Whatever, I most probably will try, more sooner than later.

Incidentally, red is also the colour of the Chilean selection. Looking at the photo below, I would even suspect that someone simply copied Liverpool's uniform...

La Roja.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to Claudio González

I love you guys!  I’ll keep trying the link you sent for BigJohn.  And, no, its not on an old computer (which I really thought was my only option).  Its on my new one with Win 7.

Hot, huh?

Cheryle

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to BigJohnD

I am always impressed with your knowledge!  I haven’t had a chance to go to your link, but I will, I will.

Thanks for letting me pick your brain!

Cheryle

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to Claudio González

You know, sometimes I feel like you guys speak a foreign language. . . or maybe its me that’s foreign(?)  I really do try but you guys are way out of my league (novice here).

I love to read your stuff.  I’m so lucky to have found you!

Cheryle

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to CheryleDKing

CheryleDKing wrote:

You know, sometimes I feel like you guys speak a foreign language. . . or maybe its me that’s foreign(?)

Cheryle

Well, I am the foreign one here; and I do speak a foreign language. That explains errors such as the "overwriting" instead of "overwrite" in my message #62...

And do ask for more details if any explanation you receive here is above your head. You seem to have realized by now that we are not an hysterical bunch of grumpy oldsters trying to force everyone to move on to InDesign...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to CheryleDKing

Cheryle, I forgot. Once uncompressed, John's PDF file with his collection of PM FAQs weighs some 6 MB. If your setup can take it, I can try sending it by email to you. If you don't want to post your email address in a public forum such as this (a wise thing), you can send it to me via a private message (double click on my name, then select "Send private message" in the Actions box).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to Claudio González

All that tells me is that you are WAY smarter!  But I’m sure you know I only meant that your “technical terminology” is on a whole level higher.  Heck, I’m lucky if I can pronounce the words!   And errors?  I don’t see no errors!

Cheryle

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to CheryleDKing

CheryleDKing wrote:

... But I’m sure you know I only meant that your “technical terminology” is on a whole level higher.  Heck, I’m lucky if I can pronounce the words!...

Cheryle

Of course I know; that's what emoticons such as this are for: ->

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to Claudio González

WOW!  I didn’t know I could do that.  But when I tried, it hangs up on the message.  I think I have something running in the background and it won’t let me send the message.

At any rate, its okay.  Go ahead and send it.  Other than the task manager, is there any way to find out what IS running in the background?

Cheryle

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Cute!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to CheryleDKing

Cheryle, I'm beginning to think that your hard disk is in need of some attention. You cannot uncompress a zipped file, you cannot send a private mesage, ... In any case, I cannot email you anything without knowing your email address...

And if you are going to post it here, do it in the form name at somewhere dot xxx so that it is not caught automatically by spammers.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Now I’m really confused.  How is it you ARE emailing me?  Oh, its through the ‘forum’, huh?  I didn’t think about that.  My email is:  cking004 AT socal.rr.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to CheryleDKing

Cheryle, I took the liberty of editing your post to munge the email address.

When you reply by email your reply is posted on the web and then emailed to anyone else who's posted in the thread or has subscribed to email notifications.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thank you.  I guess I just lost my head.  I don’t know what I was thinking.  See?  It pays to know smart guys!

Thanks again.

Cheryle

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to CheryleDKing

Something wrong with this address: cking004 AT socal.rr.com. I replaced the "AT surrounded by two spaces" by the appropriate sign, and the ".rr." by a single dot, and my message bounced because of a permanent error in the address.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Hmm.... I can't understand why Cheryle is having difficulty with the FAQ ZIP file.  I opened it easily on a friend's PC with no links to my website or ISP on the guest account.

Maybe Cheryle's browesr is blocking it?

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points