Skip navigation
ksidfysiyd
Currently Being Moderated

Flickering like old-time movies

Mar 20, 2012 9:15 PM

Tags: #help #video

I've just started using Premiere Elements 8.01 to create DVDs from .mpg files, in turn created by a Topfield PVR.

The result flickers in a very similar manner to old-time movies and are virtually unwatchable. The original .mpg files are very smooth and high quality.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, however I've searched through menus, settings and preferences and tried every possibility I can find but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Win XP SP3, Q9400 (Core 2 quad), 2.67GHz, 2GB RAM (No longer very new, but surely enough?)

Project is on a 1TB disc with 323 GB free, scratch disc is 2TB with 1.1TB free.

Source file is 11GB.

Thanks,

Alan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to ksidfysiyd

I didn't know I was ksidfysiyd !! That first post was from me, alanofoz!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to ksidfysiyd

Welcome to the forum.

Where does the Topfield PVR fit into your workflow?

This flickering sounds like Field Order Reversal.

Can you tell us the full specs. and details of the original footage, what part the Topfield PVR plays in the workflow, and what Project Preset you chose?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 5:00 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

This almost always indicates a mismatch between project settings and your source video.

Go to your project's Edit/Project Properties and most likely you'll see the Field Options set to lower field first.

Since you used an MPEG as your source file, it should have been set to upper field first.

The way around that is to start a new project and, when  you select the Settings, make sure you select the settings for Hard Disk Camcorder/Standard Definition.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks for the welcome, Bill. In reality I've been active on the Audition forum for some years. Although my profile incorrectly shows since 2009.

And you nailed it! Your Field Order Reversal comment led me via Google to Clip > Video Options > Field Options...

Problem solved, thanks muchly.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to alanofoz

Glad that you got it sorted. From the description, it sounded like the "classic" Field Reversal. Other characteristics of Field Reversal is "jaggies" with much motion, or "tearing" of the Vdeo.

I also understand the Profiles. Over the last few years, I think that I have automatically become about 3 different people, and as I started with the Adobe forums, when they were only NNTP, before HTTP even came along. My Start Date of 2002 is probably only 8 years late! Just a guess, but I'd say that I probably had 20,000 posts from the old days, that went POOF overnight. Such is life.

Steve went on to give good suggestions for how to handle things. Thanks Steve.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Thanks Steve. Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I think I was typing my previous post at the time you posted.

As I type this I'm following up your suggestions.

Cheers,

Alan

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to ksidfysiyd

Many thanks to Bill and Steve for helping me out here.

Unfortunately I have another question, unrelated I think.

During my efforts to solve the flickering problem, I found that quite often the picture was not full size. The aspect ratio looks correct and it's centred on the screen, but the picture is only about 80% of its correct height and width, i.e. there is a black border surrounding the picture. This occurs after burning a DVD and playing it on a portable player AND a "normal" player connected to the TV.Sometimes I get a DVD that's OK, more often a reduced picture.

What am I doing wrong?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 5:41 PM   in reply to alanofoz

Once again, it's all about selecting the right project settings for your video when you first start your project.

Part 1 of my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials shows you how.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 6:08 PM   in reply to alanofoz

I agree with Steve here. The Project Preset should match the Source Footage 100%, or one will have issues, and "black bars" can be one. This ARTICLE goes into some detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 9:49 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks again to Steve & Bill.

So far so good. It seems I was simply not paying attention to the source and project parameters. Now that I'm aware of this the problem has not recurred.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points