Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Video rendering is extremely slow

Mar 20, 2012 6:14 AM

Hello,

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 v4.2.1 (I can't use CS5 because I have a 32-bit system). I'm running it on HP Pavilion dv9750, 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7500, 2GB RAM (DDR2) and NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS.

I first edit my clip with Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 (Build 15.4.3538.0513) (about 4 minutes length, including videos, photos and audio), and exported it into a 1080p WMV file. The total file size was 350mb, and the rendering took about 10 minutes.

Then I used Premiere because I needed to add a photo as a watermark to certain scenes, and I couldn't do it with WLMM. Since I'm new at working with Premiere, I created a new project, imported the WMV and the photo, added the photo to the "video 2" channel (the actual clip is in "video 1" channel), resized it, placed it at the correct location, and set the length as I needed.

Then I wanted to render my project, so I clicked on export >> media >> and changed the format into H.264. Then I clicked OK, and Adobe Media Encoder CS4 opened. I clicked "start queue", and it started rendering for whole 9 hours! Eventually the file output was 104mb, with black bars (something was wrong the the proportions I guess), and the quality was lower than the original file, even though the preset was AVC-I 50 1080p25.

I'm planning to create other projects, but how do I avoid these problems, especially the long rendering time? I think it's an absurd that it takes to render a file with better quality in just 10 minutes with WVMM compared to 9 hours with Premiere.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Tom

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to Tomchook

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to Tomchook

Note... rendering is when you press the enter key to render the video on the timeline for viewing... exporting is what you do to create a new file

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-gree n-render-bars.html

>imported the WMV

WMV is a compressed output file, not really meant to be edited... as such, you are adding a new level of compression when you create a new file

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to Tomchook

Why are you editing in WLMM in the first place?

H.264 is incredibly processor intensive.  A core2 duo will be very, very slow rendering to HD H.264.  And if your source footage wasn't HD, then upscaling to HD will result in a very noticeable quality loss.

If you want useful output from the forum, you need to provide useful input.  GIGO and all that.  You're off to a good start, but we need more.  Read here:

Adobe Forums: FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to Tomchook

a way to export my video in different settings that would improve the export time.

As Jeff points out, for HD material you face a long export at some point in the process.

Short of hardwareupgrades, the best way to save time is to export once, rather than twice. Since you have encore, edit in Premiere, and bypass WMM entirely.

If you want to use WMM for some other reason, do you have Windows Movie Maker (pre windows 7 version) or Windows Live Movie Maker? The export options were always weak, but very limited in WLMM. Quality, as well as time, will be your problem using this workflow. The best you can do there is to maximize the datarate using a wmv file

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to Tomchook

You have two strikes (well, three, depending on how you count) against you.

WMV is heavily-compressed, as is H.264. They each take a lot of processing horsepower, and you completely lack that.

I would begin the Encoding process, and then go get lunch, and probably not "take out," depending on the Duration of your Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 7:30 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

At risk of Jeff sending me to the lounge, I'll just say that overnight is more practical, but a meal is more poetic. Nine hours (see original post) is more like Brunch through Dinner... with a nice bottle of wine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 7:38 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Yes, that is about what I was thinking, hence the "probably not take out... "

Going back a year, or two, I was handed three WMV's to just join, create some Menus, and author to DVD. The client refused to look for the material, prior to WMV. The total Duration, IIRC, was about 120 mins. total. In anger, I loaded them into PrPro, and did the light Trimming, then went to Export to bring into Encore. On the workstation, this was going very slowly. Client called, and pushed up the deadline, so I grabbed the laptop, converted his WMV's to DV-AVI, brought those into PrPro, Trimmed, and Exported to DV-AVI. Imported that file into Encore, re-did the Menus, and burned the DVD, just as the courier arrived. It was still almost an hour later, that the WMV Project finished, and would still have had to Import into Encore to author. Somewhere, I posted the times, but the differences were drastic. Even with the time to do a batch convert on the WMV's, the little laptop beat the workstation by at least an hour, or maybe more.

WMV is fine for streaming media, in final delivery, but is horrible to try to edit, even if it is a supported format/CODEC.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 9:26 PM   in reply to Tomchook

Anything that might speed things up?

You don't speed things up by changing the export settings.  Those settings are determined by the intended use of the output file.

You speed things up with faster hardware.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points