Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

When are we getting the Camera Raw plug-in version 7?

Mar 21, 2012 2:21 AM

When are we getting the Camera Raw plug-in version 7 to export from Lightroom 4 to Photoshop CS5?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 2:49 AM   in reply to Daniel Cilia

you get ACR 7 when you buy CS 6.

there will be no ACR 7 for CS 5.x

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/975724?tstart=30

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 2:58 AM   in reply to Daniel Cilia

well jeff schewe normaly knows what he is saying.

so yes it is the normal adobe policy... sad as it is. just read my link.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 3:01 AM   in reply to Daniel Cilia

Daniel Cilia wrote:

This is not usual Adobe policy

Exact same thing happened with PS CS4 and LR3, so it would appear that it is usual Adobe policy.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 3:07 AM   in reply to Mollysnoot

don´t get me wrong i think IT IS a bad joke!  but that´s how it is.

CS5 is still the actual PS version when LR 4 was released. so to cut support for CS5 seems to be ridiculous (at least to us customers).

but hey adobe has to create the cash flow...... 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 3:34 AM   in reply to Daniel Cilia

The rendering engine is the same, so no quality loss.

Listen, as I wrote in the PS forum thread, you have full compatibility going from Lightroom 4 to Photoshop CS5. The only restriction is Smart Objects, which you can reopen in ACR, but you don't get the full set of controls. But then you're really talking about new ACR functionality, which you don't want to pay for.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 3:56 AM   in reply to twenty_one

well imo that is nick picking.. as i payed for the same ACR 7 functionality when i bought LR 4.

it´s just to annoy the customers enough to make them upgrade photoshop too.

you can twist and turn it .. in the end it is a great leverage for adobe to push people into buying a new photoshop version.
    customer support is something different.. at least in my view.

imho ACR should come with LR. so no matter what PS version you have they will be compatible.
    ACR is a plugin it should be possible from the technical viewpoint.  i work with way more complicated plugins in 3D max and when i buy one i normaly get different builds that work for the latest 3-4 program versions.

but as jeff schewe wrote in another thread, for adobe it is a lot of work with zero benefit (income).

they make AE compatible with 3D max. but to get full support between adobe products.....

. But then you're really talking about new ACR functionality, which you don't want to pay for.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 4:00 AM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

Well, I don't like to pay more than I have to either. I like getting things for free...

But as a long time customer with a number of upgrades under my belt, I realized a long time ago that this is simply the way things work. Don't waste your energy on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 4:09 AM   in reply to twenty_one

as i said... i already payed for the ACR 7 functionality as i bought LR4.... it´s not as if i get something for free.

but i have to pay double to get flawless interaction between two adobe products.

in other, more competitiv, industrys i get such support for free.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 4:21 AM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

Quote "imho ACR should come with LR. so no matter what PS version you have they will be compatible"

Lightroom 4 is in a manner of speaking ACR 7, its just not a plugin in LR but the core functionality. Lightroom is a complete stand alone product and does not require that you have any other Adobe product installed on your computer.

PS CS5 will never be 100% compatible with LR 4 since the latest ACR for PS CS5 will be 6.7. You will still be able to send files to edit in PS CS5 but you will have to let LR render you file and send a tiff or psd to PS. When you work in PS with a file from LR you will always end with another file (a rendered one) if you wish to save the work you have done there. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 4:39 AM   in reply to DdeGannes

nobody said ACR is a plugin in LR... ACR is a plugin for PS of course.

my point is (and that is maybe a different point of view) that i have already payed for ACR FUNCTIONALITY when i bought LR4.
    so it would be a nice way of supporting it´s customers when adobe would make two of their own products 100% compatible without charging them.

i would not ask for a free ACR 7 for PS CS5 when i had not bought LR 4.

but ACR is the part of the interoperability between PS and LR, which is one of the reasons i bought LR and not capture one or aperture.

and CS5 is still the actual PS version.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

I understand that ACR 6.7 will render LR4 edited images in Photoshop CS5 using PV2012, but you can't make changes to the PV2012 edits in Photoshop CS5.  You do not have to make TIF or PSD images in Lightroom 4 before you take the image to Photoshop CS5.  This makes CS5 and LR4 compatible.  If you want to make changes to LR4 PV2012 edited RAW files in Photoshop using PV2012 then you will need Photoshop CS6 and ACR 7. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

Its always been this way.

PS CS; ACR 2.x

PS CS2, ACR 3.x

PS CS3, ACR 4.x : LR 1.x

PS CS4, ACR 5.x : LR 2.x

PS CS5, ACR 6.x : LR 3.x

PS CS6, ACR 7.x : LR 4.x

Guess what PS CS7, ACR 8.x; Having a tantrum not likely to change the behavour.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to DdeGannes

being silent will change nothing that´s for sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

No need to be silent, but I was just trying to make the point that Adobe did not change their method of providing upgrades, so there were no surprises as far as I was concerned.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 4:13 AM   in reply to DdeGannes

Well you now have CS6-Beta1 out - and it has ACR7 -- so now you have it.

Too bad there is a nuisance nag screen when its a BETA and not a final-release trial!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points