Skip navigation
matthewvh
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign cs5.5 on mac osx 10.7.2 with 14GB Ram losing objects!

Mar 20, 2012 7:56 AM

I wonder if anyone can hgelp me with the most bizarre issue i am having with Indesign CS 5.5?

I am making up Catalogues with alot of eps images and text which iclude drop shadows and outer glows...etc.

over the last day images are just vanishing of my pages, text frames and content are vanishing? i have double checked and i am sure the links are not missing and i did not delete the test!

also when i save and quit my document and reopen it seems that more and more object just disapear?

The second hassle im having is this stupid new feature of "live screen drawing" i have changed the setting to all three available options but when i do anything with any object, the frame moves then i wait for a few seconds (between 2 and 10 seconds) before the object moves how can i switch this off and get it to stop being so slow when moving, editing or anything??

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i need to complete my catalogue by Friday morning 8 AM GMT +02h00

Thanks,

matthewvh

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 6:24 AM   in reply to matthewvh

I'm not sure we have any answers.

Have you tried exprting the file to .idml?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

sorry, posted before I was finished..

Have you tried .idml? See Remove minor corruption by exporting

Do the objects appear in the layers panel? Are they still listed inthe Links Panel?

Your screen drawing issue is probably a hardware problem if you are seeing delays even with Live Creen Drawing set to Never.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to matthewvh

Now I'm confused. The object appear in the links panel, and it highlights a frame edge when you go to link, but that object is not listed in the layers panel? Did you expand the layer?

What happens when you go to link, then switch backa nd forth between Object > Select > Content  Object > Select > Container? I'm thinking with all the problems you're having with screen drawing you might be grabbing the content grabber and moving the image outside the frame instead of moving the frame.

If you have a lot of complex stuff on the page, you might want to switch to typical preview instead of High Quality display. And some .eps files can be less than cooperative in ID. have you tried reaving any of these as either native .ai or .psd (for vector or raster, respectively)?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to matthewvh

Something is seriously wrong (but you probably know that).

You should probably try trashing your prefs (see Replace Your Preferences) but it's not likely to fix anything already damaged. You may need to reinstall as well. Was thsi s aclean install on a cleanly installed OS, or did you attempt to migrate?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to matthewvh

First of all you can turn of the live screen drawing in your prefs. Setting it to delayed is, IMO, a good move.

Secondly, EPS is an archaic file format with no place in a modern workflow. While I doubt it’s the cause of the disappearing graphics, there is zero reason to use it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to matthewvh

For images, PSD or TIF and for vectors AI or PDF.

If your Photoshop files have text then save those as PDF as well.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to matthewvh

So the disappearing objects are there, but moved out of the frames? You need to develop new habits, or turn off the content grabber. View > Extras > Hide Content Grabber

Set Live Screen Drawing to either Delayed or Never, but absolutely not Immediate. In your case never may be the better choice. If you click and object and hesitate for a second befor dragging in Delayed mode it switches to Live drawing (similar to older versions). If you still have problems with a Never setting, you have a problem with hardware, not software. Update the video drivers or replace the card. YOu should also probably run some memory tests to be sure all of that RAM is still good.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points