• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please help: Course loads very slow and takes almost 100% cpu and 1.08 GB memory

Participant ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The total page number is 129. We used Captivate 5.5. We have several Webpage widgets and a few videos. I tried to take out the web widgets and the videos, however, the course still loads very slow.

I would really appreciate if someone can give somve suggestion.

Thank you very much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

what is the file size of the swf?

What percentage are you using for the preloader?  Edit > Preferences > Project > Start and End

Does the slow loading happen on other computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is the file size of the swf?

What percentage are you using for the preloader?  Edit > Preferences > Project > Start and End

Does the slow loading happen on other computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy, thanks for the suggestion. Yes the swf file is only 26 mb. but you were right, after I changed the preloader from 100% to 10%, the problem seems solved. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

26 mb seems on the large size to me (not knowing what's in it, of course), but I'm glad you resolved the loading.

I generally tweak each larger project slightly to get a reasonable load time, where learners will accept the delay but not start calling me telling they're stuck.  I usually settle in the 20-30% range, but that's only my experience.  YMMV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just finished a project with 165 slides, audio, video, 20 quiz questions. It all worked fine until I put the SlideNumbering widget that comes with 5.5 ... well it slowed everything down and seemed to stop the whole presentation in spots. After 5 hours of online research (including this forum), I tried taking it out and manually numbering each page. Worked like a charm. Not sure if it will help you in the future, but my misery may be your gain. Needless to say, this widget is part of Captivate, not a 3rd party add-on, so I'm a little pissed off at Adobe. They should not bundle items like this that are not fully vetted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious, did you put the widget on a master slide?

You didn't specify how you inserted the slide number, but if you want to ease some later course updates, you can use the cpInfoCurrentSlide variable to pull in the slide number.  Keeps you from having to manually update them if you ever add/remove slides.  In case you did it manually that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the master slide. And thank you as well for the tips on using the cpInfoCurrentSlide variable as well. Captain logging out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found that widgets on master slides causes some detrimental performance.  I tried a countdown timer on a master slide I was using for a quiz and it ran slow even on my machine and it's a beast. 

I don't have anything technical to back up why it does that, but it encouraged me to not use widgets on master slides.

There's also a variable that stores the total number of slides (cpInfoSlideCount, I think), so you could do a "slide X of Y" pretty easily. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captain Ibuprofen, we actually continued having the slowness problem in the past week. Then one of our developers found out the reason: as same as yours, caused by the page number widget. I wish we would have seen your response earlier. But yeah, so now we took out the page number widget and everything goes normal.

Also thanks for the tips on using the cpInfoCurrentSlide variable when adding the slide number. Thanks Andy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources