Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using the Click Box

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

I've created an e-learning tutorial for some of our employees to learn about codes that we use for billing. I wanted to create an interactive experience, but its not working well.

First i created my image in PowerPoint (boxes/headings) and inserted them into Captivate and i then places a click box over top of it so once they click the description pops out.

Issues:

1. I've selected "infinite", but i am only allowed to click on it once
  2. the word/description caption doesn't stay open long enough for users to read
  3. I don't want it to automatically go to the next slide, I want them to click on the "next" button to proceed, but that isn't working either. I don't know if to choose "continue, next slide, no action" for the On Success action
  4. I noticed at the end of each of the click box on the time line there is a pause.

I've attached a screen shot - hopefully this will help...

Captivate Click Box.png

I am currently using a Trial version, could this be the reason (I'm waiting for my full version in the mail).

Is there a chance that the "click button" isn't what i should be using? Maybe I should be using the roll over slidelet?

Finally, I've created branching, I have two sections and I've created 2 quizzes, is there a way to have a summary after each quiz? or is it the only the one i can have?

Please help because im stuck and not sure how to fix this.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you do not understand exactly how Captivate's interactive elements work.  Assigning Infinite Attempts to a click box or button is there to allow the user any number of Failure tries before achieving a Success on that element.  This will also cause whatever Action is assigned for Success to fire, usually a Continue action.  If you DON'T want playback to continue, you'll need to set up an Advanced Action that moves the timeline back a number of frames to a point before the pause point again.  Then you may get another option to click the same object.

Clicking the button or click box is counted as a Success and the relevant caption (if turned on) will appear for the number of seconds assigned.  If you want the feedback caption to appear for a longer period because it contains a lot of text, then select the relevant caption and set the number of seconds duration under Properties tab > Timing accordion.

If you just want to give users the opportunity to view information about some screen element, and you want them to be able to view that information for as long as they want, using click boxes is not the easiest solution.  I would suggest you just use rollover captions instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shanniearra wrote:

I am currently using a Trial version, could this be the reason (I'm waiting for my full version in the mail).

Is there a chance that the "click button" isn't what i should be using? Maybe I should be using the roll over slidelet?

Finally, I've created branching, I have two sections and I've created 2 quizzes, is there a way to have a summary after each quiz? or is it the only the one i can have?

Please help because im stuck and not sure how to fix this.

Thanks!

Trial or full version will both work the same, at least for this situation.

the click box is doing what it's designed to do, based on how you have the options set.  You have it acting like a scored object with the success/fail options in your screen shot.  Unfortunately, there isn't a way to manipulate the success caption's timing to make it stick around longer. 

As Rod indicated to do what it sounds like you want to do, you need to create some advanced actions (which is pretty advanced for a new user) or use the rollover caption as he suggests.  This might help you with the actions:  http://lilybiri.posterous.com/playing-hide-and-seek-with-captivate-objects 

or these:

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2011/12/creating-a-screen-with-a-pop-up-with-adobe-captivate-5-5.ht...

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2011/03/creating-a-click-reveal-text-screen-in-adobe-captivate-5.ht...

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2011/12/captivate-training-creating-interesting-interactivities-wit...

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2011/12/captivate-training-creating-interesting-interactivities-wit...

As for your quiz questions, Captivate only let's you make one quiz per project, so only one summary/score slide.  You could build your own again, with some advanced actions, but again that's pretty advanced for a new user.

hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy,

??? Unfortunately, there isn't a way to manipulate the success caption's timing to make it stick around longer

You can change that timing: select Success (or other caption) and use the Timing accordion in its Properties panel. Rod pointed that out as well.

Lieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sorry that didn't come out like I intended.

I meant that she couldn't make it appear/disappear and click/reclick as she described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources