Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

open type vs true type

Mar 21, 2012 10:11 AM

Can you have both open type fonts and true type fonts loaded on the same computer? I am using mac os x and indesign cs5.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to CoGordo4

Yes you may have both TrueType and OpenType fonts installed on the same computer! However, you should avoid having two fonts with the same exact name installed, regardless of what format they are.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

A very valid warning, but wouldn’t that be rather unusual in this case? I know that problem existed in the past with TrueType and Type 1 fonts.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Adobe Creative Suite applications differentiate between Type 1, TrueType, and OpenType CFF fonts that have the same font name (but obviously not the same font file name), list them separately, and allow one or the other to be selected for particular text objects. However, how the operating system and other applications handle this could be very problematic and our experience in the past in fact confirms this concern. This is exactly why Adobe used different names for the fonts in its library when it created OpenType CFF versions of the fonts (Adobe OpenType CFF fonts typically have “Std” or “Pro” in their names to signify “standard” character sets or expanded, often highly multilingual “professional” character sets).

I personally like to err on the side of paranoia in terms of avoiding fonts with the exact same name but different font types!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

A little paranoia can be healthy sometimes.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points