• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp Search - Headings/Titles Only

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 9 (via TCS 3.5) and something recently started happening with the Search functionality (or I didn't notice previously), but it seems like RoboHelp is returning search results based on the Headings or Titles only. In other words, I'll search for an odd keyword that I know is in the body of topic, but I'll get "No Results Found" or if the word is in a title/heading, that's the only search result (even though I know it exists elsewhere in the body of various topics).

Question:

Have I missed some sort of global check box or project setting somewhere along the line that restricts the search methodology? Perhaps to Headings/Titles only?

Feeling like a bit of a doofis right now.

Cheers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no setting I know of that will limit the search to just headings.

Put the word redrabbit into one topic and see if that is found.

What is the word you are searching on?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Peter.

I don't need to do the "redrabbit" test since I've already searched on a variety of unique words that I know to be in a few of the project topics.

This has only started happening recently. 

I recently made a tweak to my TOC (in order to get it to open with all parent-level topics displayed) where instead of being under one parent-level topic . . . they're all on the same heading level now. I wonder if that did something though I don' t think it should matter to the search functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a merged projects help system? That may have an impact on how searching is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not a merged project.

I checked another project and it seems to work fine.

I remember having that "Null" problem with searching a while back (in case you're familiar with it . . . it's described here in the forums), but I can't imagine it's related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to prove the problem is nothing to do with the words you have chosen. Are the search terms used in the working project the same as the non working project? Sometimes we have seen posts about search not working and the answer turns out to be the search includes something that is giving grief, hence suggesting redrabbit.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that. Since I've already tried a variety of words, I didn't see that it would matter if I attempted to find yet another 9-letter word.

So to further the discussion a bit:

• I added "redrabbit" to a topic.
  • I re-compiled.
  • I searched for "redrabbit" and RoboHelp returned "No topics found"

At the moment, I'm currently reviewing the contents of thse various RoboHelp JavaScript files, but since I don't know what I might be looking for, that's kinda where I am at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have another machine that you could generate the help on?

If you create a new layout, not a duplicate, does that work?

Are you generating to your local drive?

This is when you test the help independently, not just when it is called from an application?

If that does not get you anywhere,  can you share the project with me? See my Contact page to send.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter . . . lemme see if I can answer your questions and then we'll take the next step of zipping up the files.

• Another machine: At the moment, I don't have another machine to generate the Help on. Certainly, the generated output has been viewed on other machines, but not quite the same thing obviously.
  • New layout:  I did try a few other "skins" but that didn't seem to matter.
  • Local drive:  Yes, I'm initially generating to my local drive.
  • Testing: The problem seems to occur both on my local machine in "test" mode (after compiling) as well as in the final output.

In the meantime, I'll try to share the project. Again, I'll reiterate that this seemed to only start happening somewhat recently. Can't quite put my finger on what might have triggered it or served as the catalyst . . . if anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Layout - I meant create a new layout in the SSL pod.

Right click in the pod and select New (not a duplicate).

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the delayed response, Peter.

I see what you mean now.  I did create a new layout and there was no change in behavior.

This is also happening with a new project that I just created, so perhaps I'll zip that one up since it's much smaller than the other one that triggered this post in the first instance.

One nuance to add:

The search seems to only look at Heading titles (as originally mentioned) and referenced PDF files (or at least tries to).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Send the new one as described on the Contact page of my site. Please include a link to this thread.

I hope to look at it tomorrow.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new webhelp layout, not a duplicate. The layout is corrupt.

I generated a CHM and found that worked so I suspected the layout. Right click in layout pod and select Create New. The search then works.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already created a new layout a couple of different times (once for AIR and also WedHelp) and it still only finds words in the titles. Mind you, I haven't created a CHM file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have just replied to you offline, when I searched on a unique word that was only in the body, the term was found with a new layout but not using yours. New and Create Duplicate are not the same in case that is what you did.

Search opens topics, it does not take the user to the first instance of the search term.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected, it should open the topic so that the first instance is visible.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Peter and I had several email exchanges outside of this forum and after various attempts of creating new layouts, I think I had a breakthrough with the root of the problem being related to the Master Page file (.htt) or possibly a corrupt one.

I had a sudden whim and decided to remove my existing Master Page file (.htt) just to see if the behavior might change. Not expecting anything noteworthy, after compiling, the Search functionality behaved as expected and designed. I was a bit gobsmacked.

So I renamed the “old” Master Page file and then created a new one and now everything is fine and dandy.

Based on the smoking gun evidence, I’ll venture a guess  and say the culprit or problem may have been centered on something amiss with the Master Page file. I can’t say with absolute certainty, but that’s my current theory.

However, I should mention that although the Search now works and brings up all relevant topics that contain a particular search word, the system (or RoboHelp) won't highlight the text/word within the body of the topic even though it does when I view the output locally.  And yes, I have selected the "Enable highlight search results" check box. Oh, well.

Thanks again to Peter for his tireless efforts in offering his assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp