Skip navigation
sebrame
Currently Being Moderated

Clips deleted from Project, but still showing on timeline

Mar 21, 2012 9:58 AM

While archiving a project in CS5.5, I first clicked 'Remove Unused' to trim out all the dead weight. Strangely enough, this removed ALL of my footage clips. Even stranger is the fact that nothing is showing as 'offline'. The timeline still plays with all the clips that were in it. When I select a clip in the timeline and click 'Reveal in Project', it can't because there is absolutely no video footage in the Project Window. There are no previews either, for the entire timeline has a red bar, and the selection to 'Delete Render Files' isn't even available because there are no previews.

I went ahead and did a 'Collect Files and Copy to New Location'. The sequences are intact with clips showing, but there are absolutely no AVI(Cineform) clips in the 'Copied' folder.

If I find the media for a clip in the timeline, and rename it, I start PPro again and the clip shows as offline. So it's still referencing the media, even without a clip for it being in the Project Window. And no, my Project pane isn't filtered.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to sebrame

Its very difficult to read your message. How about reposting without the highlight or whatever that is

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to lasvideo

If you select all of the text in his post you'll be able to read it better.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to sebrame

Make sure you are not in a subfolder of your project window.

Otherwise, if that's not the issue, I don't know what would have caused that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to sebrame

The issue would be a project specific issue if you are not able to replicate that onto a new project.

Just the project file itself that has gone corrupt.

Certainly not a bug in the product !

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to sebrame

Here's the OP without the highlighting:

While archiving a project in CS5.5, I first clicked 'Remove Unused' to trim out all the dead weight. Strangely enough, this removed ALL of my footage clips. Even stranger is the fact that nothing is showing as 'offline'. The timeline still plays with all the clips that were in it. When I select a clip in the timeline and click 'Reveal in Project', it can't because there is absolutely no video footage in the Project Window. There are no previews either, for the entire timeline has a red bar, and the selection to 'Delete Render Files' isn't even available because there are no previews.

I went ahead and did a 'Collect Files and Copy to New Location'. The sequences are intact with clips showing, but there are absolutely no AVI(Cineform) clips in the 'Copied' folder.

If I find the media for a clip in the timeline, and rename it, I start PPro again and the clip shows as offline. So it's still referencing the media, even without a clip for it being in the Project Window. And no, my Project pane isn't filtered.

Nope...not in a subfolder or bin in the Project Window. Still...even if I were and clicked 'Reveal in Project' for a clip it would still show that clip in it's bin.

Since what you are describing is not possible (!), we've got to keep pressing a bit on the bins. "Not filtered" - okay, but how do you know you are not inside an empty bin?

Yes, reveal in project should find the clip. I find that fascinating. What happens instead of highlighting the clip in the bin?

Changing the actual clip file name is a good test, and does show that the clip on the timeline is still seeing the file.

This reminds me of importing a sequence from another project, and discovering that all the same clips are actually duplicates, with no connecton to each other. The clips in one sequence, that are from the same files as other clips, are in a different bin in the project panel.

But, find in project should find them.

If a corrupted project, what happens if you import this project into a new one?

I wonder about a cineform issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 4:17 PM   in reply to sebrame

What happens if you load an autosave backup project ?

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Mar 21, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to sebrame

Try going through your timeline and alt-drag each clip to the Project Panel.

edit:

You see your sequence in the project panel, right?

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Mar 21, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to sebrame

However, it is still not mated to the clip that I just dragged from in the timeline. I can delete the newly dragged clip from the Project Panel

After you alt-drag the clip to the Project Panel,

Alt-drag it back onto the clip in the timeline and the link is restored.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

It's totally possible as it has happened to me. The file that keeps track of the items in the Project Manager must get corrupted somehow but I can't find if there is any way to rebuild that file. I've tried to save as new and different names but no joy.

I did this:

After you alt-drag the clip to the Project Panel,

Alt-drag it back onto the clip in the timeline and the link is restored.

and that worked to make a new, visible item in the PM that's linked, but after the initial drag into the PM it is just another new footage item and doesn't link to the Sequnce clip until you alt-drag it back.

New footage that I have brought in since the "Remove Unused" remain persistent throughout open/close/saves. I haven't had the courage to do another "Remove unused" as I'm in the middle of the project.

You are not alone!

m

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to marcorabellini

Also, I filed a bug report through this link: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to marcorabellini

If a corrupted project, what happens if you import this project into a new one?

Interestingly, the unseen footage remains unseen even if imported into a new file.

m

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 5:15 PM   in reply to marcorabellini

What happens if you load an autosave backup project ?

The Autosaves are the same way. Footage remains unseen in PM.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to marcorabellini

Uhg. Been trying everything to get the PM to somehow rebuild and recognize the footage that is in the Sequences. No luck. Looks like the only solution at this point is to do the alt-drag back and forth thing for the missing PM pieces.

There is a point a week back or so when the prproj file went from 4.3 MBs to 3.6. And the 4.3 file shows all the footage in the PM and the 3.6 doesn't. I don't know what I did right there or what happened but I think it was a remove unused footage and then the PM lost all the footage entries but I didn't notice at the time.

So there is some reference in the prprj file that got stripped but I am not savvy enough to figure it out or how to possibly fix it. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it. I wish there was some sort of rebuild the PM command.

The only thing I haven't tried is uninstalling Premiere and reinstalling. Although it really seems like a file issue and not a program issue so I'm guessing that a install refresh would not have any effect.

m

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to marcorabellini

Even though this thread is a bit old, I thought I'd chime in to say I'm running into the same issue here.

The solution seems to be to create a new project, then import (not copy) the offending project into it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points