Skip navigation
Bob Bringhurst 4,640 posts
May 29, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Version 19 Release - Update Folio Builder panel

Mar 12, 2012 8:23 PM

Digital Publishing Suite released a mandatory update to the Folio Builder panel as well as a new version of the Folio Producer tools. You can view a list of new features here: What's new in this release.

Should you update the Folio Builder panel?

Yes, or you won't be able to use the panel. Note that updating the panel does not affect your version of the DPS tools.

Should you update the Folio Producer tools?

If you're in the last stages of publishing a folio, if you have an important presentation coming up, or if you created a custom viewer using a previous set of tools and don't want to update your viewer app yet, install only the Folio Builder panel.

If you install the new Folio Producer tools and create a folio, you cannot view it in the current Adobe Content Viewer on the iPad (until Apple approves the new version) or with a custom viewer app that hasn't been updated to v19. If you try to open a new folio in an older viewer, a "Please update your app" message appears.

If you have a Professional or Enterprise account, you can use the Viewer Builder to create a custom version of the Adobe Content Viewer so that you don't have to wait for Apple to approve.

For links and addition installation information, see Installing digital publishing tools.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2012 6:23 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Do you know when acrobat.com server will be back up? Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to E.Mandel

Bob,

Does today's release only affect folio builder or do you also release the

producer tools today?

—Johannes

(mobil gesendet)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 1:49 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Another succesful update? Because from Folio Panel, customer sees somethink like this... <sigh> Yes, i've sent him direct link for download, but you know, it should JUST WORK.

fb.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 1:59 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob,

I am new to DPS (as in it all finally started to click earlier today). I downloaded the DPS extensions for CS5.5 to build a test digital version of our company magazine. Later on in the evening, I spotted the updates and downloaded accordingly. When I was finally ready to see how a test run looked in the content viewer on iPad, I got nothing. Just the starter page that comes with the viewer. To confirm, this is because Adobe is waiting for Apple to approve the new version, correct? If that is the case, what can I do in the meantime? I'd like to keep building, testing and tweaking so when the new viewer is approved I am ready to roll.

Thanks!

Courtny

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 3:09 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Since updating the folio builder this morning, we’re having trouble with articles that do not have exactly the size / aspect ratio of the iPad screen (Folio_h=1024 x 768 pixel, Folio_v=768 x 1024 pixel). We have a lot of article, that are bigger/”longer” than the iPad aspect ratio, and the reader could just swipe the page vertically. Now the folio builder gives an error message when the size of the article is “wrong”.  What do we need to do to be able to publish like we did before? We need a quick solution for this – we need to publish our daily app tonight!

Adobe.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 3:32 AM   in reply to AlexanderSchultz

I have this problem also. What's the solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 3:48 AM   in reply to AlexanderSchultz

Alexander: Are you having the same problems when simply importing the articles instead of simply adding them?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 3:51 AM   in reply to Gabriel Moinat

I've tried creating a whole new folio but nothing works unless the article is the exact dimensions.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 4:06 AM   in reply to AlexanderSchultz

The solution to this issue is to enable "smooth scrolling" when importing or adding the article otherwise the article is identified as being the wrong format for the folio that is being worked on. Hopefully one of my colleagues can provide background information as to the reasons for the change.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 4:28 AM   in reply to Alex WD

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Since updating the folio panel about 20 minutes ago, every time I add or remove an article, my folio panel no longer works? I can't see any of the documents within the panel or open any indesign files via it! Its really annoying and was fine up untill I updated, I now have to quit indesign every time I want to add or take out a page.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to JRHarvey86

JRHarvey86: I had similar issues. Check out: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4263493#4263493

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi, I updated my version and something hapens to my sounds. Every links, buttons linked with sounds stopped to work. I created a new folio with only the button and a mp3 file, when I try to upload it returns the following error:

dps_error.jpg

Any idea?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to GersonCFilho

Hi I give the audio file the same mistake all the foils. please help!

This issue occurred after the builder and the tools of updates to Folio

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thank you so much

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 9:29 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Can you help me find the old folio producers? Shame on me for not reading carefully and I went full speed ahead and downloaded everything to "stay current" ... now I can't present the work tomorrow unless I get this sorted out. I saw the list with links and now, for the life of me, I can't find it. Thank you for any help you can give.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 12:54 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

did not improve with the new version (v19.1) of the audio files. Please help me. how I can folio producer tools uninstall

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Martin Lér

Martin-

What language and version of Folio Builder panel were being used when you got that screenshot?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob: in short, every time Adobe updates Folio Builder, there will need to update our custom viewer.

And after this update, I've to submit it to Apple. Am i right?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

hi

downloading the stuff i already dowlonaded AND installed the FolioProducerTools

as mentionned here :

1. Exit InDesign.

For best results, exit all Adobe applications.

2. Install the Folio Producer tools.

Windows: Download Folio Producer tools (Windows)

Unless you have a good reason to use an older set of tools, such as ensuring compatibility with an existing viewer app, install the most recent update of the tools.

The Folio Producer tools installer installs the Overlay Creator panel, a required InDesign plugin, and the Desktop Viewer.

and now i read here in this thread that

Should you update the Folio Producer tools?

If you're in the last stages of publishing a folio, if you have an important presentation coming up, or if you created a custom viewer using a previous set of tools and don't want to update your viewer app yet, install only the Folio Builder panel.

If you install the new Folio Producer tools and create a folio, you cannot view it in the current Adobe Content Viewer on the iPad (until Apple approves the new version) or with a custom viewer app that hasn't been updated to v19. If you try to open a new folio in an older viewer, a "Please update your app" message appears.

Too late ... Confusing ...

Why isn't this mentionned  here and in the right order ???

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

i guess that for most of people here my posts are useless, and i'm quite aware of it.
    it's no problem, i just want Adobe to know that these DPS tools are GREAT.

BUt we webdesigners don't ALL spend or WHOLE days working ONLY on this, you know.
    Going back here is really a mess each time.
    You gotta be a Ph D just to USE the tools.

The tools are quite easy.

But the whole thing behind .... man ....

now i got the "update your app" on the ipad and YES the answer is somewher but YES i already know that solving the problem will take HOURS.

that was the useless post, but i guess it's some kind of relief for me.
    ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

alright, glad i can help ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 10:02 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

OK, I've been reading through these posts and panicking about current work I need to have launched very soon. When signing in to the folio builder I was told I needed to update my tools before proceeding so, as with every other Adobe update, I downloaded all updates and applied them.

Then, like so many others, when trying to test the app on an iPad I was asked to update my viewer app and I started trawling through these discussions to try and understand what was going on.

I definately feel like there should have been some warning about this, sure maybe I should spend time reading through all the update notes and such when this occurs - but the truth is that many don't have the time to stop everything and read through a heap of documentation. I usually get the updates done so I can finish my work - and come back at a later stage to see whats new in the updates.

Either way, I've uninstalled the Folio Producer tools and re-installed the previous version.

So now what am I to do? If I re-upload my folio's will they now work with the Viewer App? What about my custom viewer App that I've had approved by Apple for the launch? Do I need to get it re-approved as I certainly don't have time for that to happen? If so, can I uninstall the Folio Produced tools and re-install the previous version and then still use the current Custom Viewer App?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 12:19 AM   in reply to nousinfo

Another update, and another nervous moment. Wil the same thing happen this time, that has happened the last three updates - the viewer app has had to be recreated and resubmitted each time... Or if I install the Folio Builder as it would appear I HAVE to do, will everything still work? Too nervous to even consider installing!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 12:35 AM   in reply to Sara 2

As quoted from the installation instructions courtesy of Bob:

"You also have the option of updating the authoring tools when a new version is released. When you update the authoring tools, any folio you publish is no longer compatible with a custom viewer created with a previous set of tools. For example, suppose that you used Viewer Builder 1.2 to create a custom viewer that you submitted to the app store. To continue creating folios for that custom viewer, keep using the v12 Folio Producer tools (installer 1.0). Do not update to installer 1.1 or later until you are ready to create and submit a new version of the custom viewer to the store. However, you should update the Folio Builder panel whenever the Folio Producer is updated on the web."

This does not make sense to me, particularly with the issues we've had here int hepast, can anyone advise? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 5:57 AM   in reply to Sara 2

The Folio Builder panel is a mandatory update. The folio producer tools are not and if you're dependent upon the Adobe Content Viewer you should wait until the new version has been approved.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

To try and understand this, it would seem that every time the Folio Builder panel has to be updated, I then have to update the tools as well. When I do this, nothing then works, and the viewer app has to be resubmitted and reapproved.

This is going to happen every two months, or every time Adobe releases an update. Is this correct?

And it's also correct that this morning, if I update the Folio Builder (as I HAVE to do because I can't access anything any other way), nothing will then work, and I will not be able to release the next iPad edition on time, again.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 5:30 PM   in reply to Sara 2

Is the Folio Builder installed first, then the tools? Or the other way round. I've tried both ways.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 5:39 PM   in reply to Sara 2

"To try and understand this, it would seem that every time the Folio Builder panel has to be updated, I then have to update the tools as well."

No, this is incorrect. As Bob says in the first post:

"If you're in the last stages of publishing a folio, if you have an important presentation coming up, or if you created a custom viewer using a previous set of tools and don't want to update your viewer app yet, install only the Folio Builder panel."

So, when you get a message telling you to update your Folio Builder panel in CS 5/5.5, you only have to update the panel (one installer). You do not have to update Folio Producer tools as well (run two different installers).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 5:42 PM   in reply to robtaylo@adobe.com

OK, then I shall only install the Folio Builder. The last three times I have done this, nothing has subsequently worked.  Thank you for explaining it to me Rob.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)