Skip navigation
HLynne
Currently Being Moderated

Installation error: "Installer failed to initialize. This could be due to a missing file." (Win7)

Mar 22, 2012 9:44 AM

After waiting for the download I get an "installer failed" error on Windows XP. If this beta is not

available to XP that needs to be noted so one doesn't want a half an hour of their morning waiting

for the download.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to HLynne

It is noted on the download page, under the Requirements section > Product Details Tab
    http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs6/

• Microsoft® Windows® XP* with Service Pack 3

Do you have SP3 installed?

h

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to HLynne

As heathrow explains, XP is supported. We'll need more info. Can you post the exact error you're getting and/or the installation log?

FAQ: I found a bug. How do I write a useful bug report?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,050 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to HLynne

Hello! what is your version of XP?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Hi,

Please share your system info and following logs:

Installer Logs:
    You can find them at:
    For Mac:
    Library\Logs\Adobe\Installer

For Win
    Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Instaler

This would help us in resolving the issue.

You can either attach it here on the forum Or mailto:asnigam@adobe.com 

Regards,

Ashutosh

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to Ashutosh.Nigam

I have the same problem. I'm running Mac OS X Lion. There are NO logs located in Library/Logs/Adobe/Installer. In fact, there are no items at all in the Library/Logs/Adobe directory.

The Adobe Support Advisor finds no errors.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to kris.triplett

To amend my previous reply: I have photoshop CS5 installed. However, trying to install CS6 OR any other CS product causes the error.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to kris.triplett

I'm having same problem.  Win 7.  Installer failed to initialize.  Adobe Support Advisor finds no errors.  No log files.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to HLynne

are you looking in

/Users/<user>/Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers/logfile

or

/Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers/logfile

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to Jeffrey_cohen

Looking under /Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers/

The only logfile I have is from my initial installation of photoshop CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to kris.triplett

If the installer is failing to initialize, I'm not surprised that there are no logs, the installation hasn't even started yet. Files missing could refer to a bad download of the installer. May want to delete what you have and try again, possibly from a different browser, possibly saving to a different location.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to Brett N

That doesn't do it. I've tried that, and I also copied the same installer I'm having trouble with to another machine and it worked without a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to HLynne

I had this issue and I downloaded the installation instructions. The instructions say to unzip/extract the files from the downloaded zip file and double click on Setup.exe once extracted It worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 2:02 AM   in reply to HLynne

@HLynne, @SarahNord;

Try these in order:

1.) Unzip the downloaded installer to a folder with short path, say 'C:\PScs6' and then double click Set-up.exe

2.) Use any other unzip utility (winzip, winrar etc.) to unzip the downloaded installer and retry.

3.) If possible, copy the same installer on another machine and see if that is working. If not, possibly the download installer is corrupt. Re-download the installer in that case.

Let us know if any of these works!

Thanks, Nitin

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 1:59 AM   in reply to kris.triplett

@kris.triplett,

Are you getting the error "Installer failed to initialize.." even when you invike any CS5 installer? or is it just with CS6 installer?

Try the following in order:

1.) Unmount all the other DMGs (if any) and then try with only Adobe PS CS6 DMG mounted.

2.) Reboot the system and then try.

3.) Copy the PS CS6 installer files to a folder from DMG and then try to launch the installer from the locally copied installer.

Let us know if any of these works!

Thanks, Nitin

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to Nitin_Bansal

Yes, this happens with any CS5 installer. It's weird because previously, I had no issue. Photoshop CS5 installed without a problem.

1. Did not work.

2. Did not work.

3. Did not work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 2:00 AM   in reply to kris.triplett

Thanks for confirming @kris.triplett. Can we have a remote Adobe Connect session to look into the issue? Let me know. You can mail me to let you know of the meeting URL.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 2:18 AM   in reply to HLynne

Hi,

I'm also having this issue. I'm running Mac OS 10.7.3 and I also get the 'failed to initialize' error. I've tried re-downloading and copying the folder from the DMG to my hard drive but it still won't install. Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 2:23 AM   in reply to HLynne

I got this same error but basically told it to install anyway, everything appears to be working fine! Loving it so far!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 2:45 AM   in reply to Opp_Photog

How did you get it to install anyway?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to HLynne

When the error pops up, warning of the install error, telling of the fact that the machine needs to reboot, or has a planned reboot in the future (Win7), it asks, Do you wish to continue? Reply yes, it will install reguardless of the error.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to HLynne

Getting this error can't get it to work.  Please help?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to lamtestbeta

I got it to work by starting over and extracting the files again and then using setup.exe. Don't know why it didn't work the first time--probably operator error. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 2:21 AM   in reply to SarahNord

@SarahNord - Thanks for confirming that it is working now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 2:00 AM   in reply to HLynne

@HLynne, did you get a chance to try the steps I had mentioned? It worked for @SarahNord.

If you are still facing issues, we can look into the issue over Adobe Connect meeting remotely. Do let us know.

Thanks, Nitin

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 2:01 AM   in reply to HLynne

@anthonycr0 and @lamtestbeta, have you already tried out the steps I have mentioned in same thread couple of days back?

If you are still facing the issue, we can look into the issue over Adobe Connect meeting remotely. You can mail me directly at my mail id given below.

Thanks, Nitin

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 2:55 AM   in reply to Nitin_Bansal

I have a Mac so no I haven't tried those steps since they are different. I still get the error even though I uninstalled CS5.1 (just in case that was the error). It would also help if the error actually told me what the problem was instead of just saying, "the installer failed to initialize". I downloaded Adobe Support Advisor but that didn't say anything was wrong. Here are some screenshots of what happens:

Screen Shot 2012-03-27 at 8.52.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-03-27 at 8.53.06 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 2:00 AM   in reply to anthonycr0

If re-downloading & extracting the installer (on Win) dows not work, try the following:

On Mac: Delete the folder '~/Applications/Adobe/OOBE'  if it exists. (Please note that this is user specific Application area, not the system)

Windows XP: Delete the folder [WIN DRIVE]:\documents and settings\[PROFILENAME]\Local Settings\Applicaiton Data\Adobe\OOBE

Windows Vista / Windows 7: Delete the folder [WIN DRIVE]:\users\[PROFILENAME]\AppData\Local\Adobe\OOBE

Now try to launch the installer.

Let us know if it resolves the issue. If it still not, then we need to have an Adobe Connect meeting to further look into the issue. You can mail me directly at my mail id given below to schedule Connect meeting.

Thanks, Nitin

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 7:27 PM   in reply to HLynne

Try running it as an administrator (Vista or 7) It worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to Nitin_Bansal

I'm having the same problem running Windows Vista. Tried all the suggestions but still not able to install. I've not been able to find the OOBE file referred to so don't know if this has anything to do with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 1:58 AM   in reply to suekelly

@suekelly, we can look into the issue over Adobe Connect meeting remotely. You can mail me directly at my mail id to schedule a meeting. Thanks, Nitin

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to Nitin_Bansal

Issue resolved for @suekelly. It was due to launching of Set-up.exe without extracting the compressed Adobe installer on Windows.

Other facing same issue on Windows - make sure that you are not launching the Adobe installer from within the file explorer of a compression utility like Winzip etc. Extract the Adobe installer and then run the Set-up.exe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points