Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

managing characters

Mar 12, 2012 4:49 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new at Story. I used Celtx and Word a lot, but I thought it would make more sens using Story since my all post-production workflow is based on Adobe software.

I went over the help menu, the forum, and I cannot find how am I supposed to manage characters in Story. And the software itself is not really intuitive about that.

I created Character bios. How do I link those bios to characters in my script ?

I created also a list of characters in the Manage Lists button...  Did not see how to link it to the script, even if I clicked "Assign"... For now none of my character is speaking, I'm working on the narrative structure before to get into the dialogues.

In the scene properties panel, I can see something called Characters, with a "Detect" button that does not detect anything for now, and I didn't understand how it is supposed to work... I'm typing in names for now, but I'm not sure that the software understands what I'm doing as usable metadatas. Well I think I'm not doing what I'm supposed to do   I saw on adobe TV that there should be color dots in the outline, telling me which character is in which scene... But even when typing name in the Properties panel, there is no color dots in the outline (which confirms that I'm not doing it properly.

Then there is also the tags panel, which has a button called character... Once again, I don't get it, it didn't let me type names in theis section, it just says that I have this number of characters in the scene...

Also: how can I upload pictures in the infos of the charcters to share with my co-writers...

Well I think the big question is: how do I manage characters in this app... I usually get Adobe software pretty quick, but I'm totaly clueless on that one... Thanks in advance for helping

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 4:07 AM   in reply to Julien Deka

Hi Julien,

Below are answers to some of your queries :

• Creating lists and assigning them to a project will automatically assign the list to all the scripts in that particular project. Also now you can upload pictures in the character list itself. These will also be shared with your cowriters once you share the project with them.
    • Clicking on 'Detect' will detect the non speaking characters (charcters without any dialog in the scene) if the charcter is present in the corresponding character list. These charcters will then appear in the character dots too.This too is a feature added in this release itself.

For detailed information on the newly added features please refer the release notes in  help document.

As of now you cannot link character bois to the characters in script. This is a feature in our backlog and we will get there as soon as possible.

Do let us know in case you need any more information.

Thanks

Rashi - Story team

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points