Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Photoshop CS6 won't run, problem with Application Manager

Mar 22, 2012 12:58 AM

Tags: #photoshop #install #cs6 #beta

I've now got three Adobo Photoshop CS products on my MacBook Pro, the latest is CS6 which won't run.

I own Photoshop CS3, I just happen to install the CS5.x suite today, which runs during the trial period (30 day, today is day #1).

I then see that PSCS6 is out so I install that and get an error dialog.

Adobe Photoshop CS6

Adobe Application Manager, required to verify your license, is missing or damaged.

Please download a new copy of Adobe Application Manager from http://www.adobe.com/go/applicationmanager.

I go to that URL, run the new application manager and get that same dialog box when I try to run CS6.

When I did the CS6b install it asked for my Adobe ID/password and I entered that and the install completed. So I'm not sure what's going on.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to MediaBaron

Sounds to me like there may be permissions errors on your Mac. Can you create a new Admin user account and try installing from the new user account?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to MediaBaron

I'm having the same issue. I have Production Premium CS5 installed and the Photoshop CS6 beta keeps giving me the same "Application Manager" error when trying to run the software, and installing a new copy does not fix the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to MediaBaron

MediaBaron,

Received the same results as you have, no matter how many times I've installed "Application Manager"

I can't even uninstall it.

Using the app BatCHmod, I changed the 'permissions' for both Adobe folders in the Application Support folders in both Libraries, and likewise for the PSCS6 folder to no avail.

Strangely Bridge CS6 launches, as does Application manager if double-clicked on.

FWIW, this is not the first time I've run into this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to Dr. Whiteface

Did either of you try the new Admin account troubleshooting I suggested?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to MediaBaron

did you remove the CS5 trial before attempting to install CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to MediaBaron

Having the same issue with my Win7 64 install. Have downloaded the lastest Application Manager to no avail. Previously installed Photoshop CS3 and Indesign CS5.5 still open fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

Yes, I created a new Admin account and without any luck what-so-ever.

The installer won't install at all, and it requested Adobe Support Advisor, which I installed.

That software stated that there weren't any problems!

Next!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to Jeffrey_cohen

I don't have any other CS5 trial software, tho I do have a trial version of Adobe Edge v1.0.0 which I can't uninstall because 'Application Manager' doesn't work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to Dr. Whiteface

Ok. Thanks for the additional info Dr. Whiteface. (We've eliminated permissions as a problem it seems) Jeffrey_C or one of the install experts will have additional questions to help track down.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

I was having this exact problem also, but creating a new local admin account in OS X solved the problem for me.  It had previously failed to work for me both when using a network admin and a local admin, but both were pre-existing accounts.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to MediaBaron

No, it's not working.

Can't even run the uninstall application.

Always recieve the message Adobe Application Manager is not installed.

Creating a new User Account didn't work either.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to MediaBaron

Media Baron,

Right! AFAIC, the problem still exists.

Nice if you've PSCS6b, and if any CS software uninstaller will be allowed to do so without the infamous problem with Application Manager.

Adobe might have to create a general uninstaller for pre-release and beta software. And one that doesn't require Application Manager.

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to MediaBaron

Didn't work.

Just tried...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to MediaBaron

Had your same problem, trashed everything named cs6 (bridge, photoshop, utilities, extension manager) and the problem is still here for me. Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to andy-mario

have you run the cleaner tool?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to Jeffrey_cohen

it's not running, because the Application Manager can't be found (reinstalled it several times...)

Trashed the two folder, mentioned above...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to MediaBaron

Trashed everything and anything that said CS6 in both Application support and Preferences folder.

All I received was the same old message.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 9:52 PM   in reply to MediaBaron

FWIW, there's a folder within the Adobe folder within the Application Support folder within the (main) Library folder named OOBE.

On more than one occasion after an Adobe installation this folder looses its permissions and turns into a Private folder which cannot be accessed.

This is where Application Manager resides.

Just a thought.

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to Dr. Whiteface

I had the same issue uninstalling cs5, the only solution was the adobe cs5 cleaner. I think we need a CS6 cleaner (or the actual cleaner works for all versions?).

Screen Shot 2012-03-23 at 8.15.51 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 6:41 PM   in reply to MediaBaron

Hi, Using OSX Lion...was getting the same AAM errors.

I hope my "fix" is of help:

During one installation attempt I noticed that it was using an Adobe Application Manager here:

~User/Applications/Adobe/OOBE/PDApp/core/Adobe Application Manager

It is version 6.0.236.0 and the installer deletes it after the install. The download page only has version 2.

So during my last install attempt, I grabbed a copy of that OOBE directory -- to catch the support files -- before deletion.

Did not work in user Applications folder, but when I copied it in the location of AAM 2, it works.

The full location is as follows (I renamed the original OOBE folder as a back-up):

HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/PDApp/core/Adobe Application Manager

Authorization works, and software update seems to...however, uninstall can't use this method.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 1:01 AM   in reply to udcny

I got past that screen using CS Cleaner, it finally worked and I can proceed with the installer (osx lion) .

Next, I choose "try", I insert my adobe ID, click next, then it changes to the installation screen and freezes.

Anyone experienced this?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 6:54 PM   in reply to MediaBaron

Wanted to post this as a reference of one user that resolved his AAM error.

SOLVED: CS6 does not run "application manager damaged" Win 7 x64

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 7:47 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

Nice post ... since this is an OS X thread posting a windows fix isn't very helpful.  You should delete your post.  At this point in time the problems with AAM on OS X are appear related to an install of CS6 beta,but there is no clear answer on how to fix the problem.  In my case I get the message but then the beta runs just fine.  However, now I can't run Dreamweaver CS5.5 trial.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points