Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Content Aware Move Tool Issue

Mar 22, 2012 11:40 AM

Tags: #content_aware_move_tool

Using a large, 16x20 240dpi photograph....

I created a completely non-feathered mask of a subject against a background (mask-view reveals black and white with no greys)

I moved the subject with the content aware move tool. The portion where the sudbject used to be is clean and devoid of any trace of the subject.

However,

The subject, now moved, is showing feathering in random parts of their formerly masked outline. The subject's hair is feathered to the point that the subject is missing nearly all of their hair which bleeds into the background. This is not a case of a bad mask. This was the doing of the content fill.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to JonGCarlson

Can you post a screen shot of the before and after:

FAQ: How do I capture and post a screen shot or video?

More details about platform, etc may also be helpful:

FAQ: I found a bug. How do I write a useful bug report?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to JonGCarlson

That means that the selection is touching the hair and is trying to blend it. If you watch the sneak video for this feature, Bryan suggests Select>Modify>Expand... and push the selection out 5- 10 px.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to JonGCarlson

Using your image, I tried a different selection method, and just used a rough rectangular marquee to select the couple.

I even had to remove the "original" text from your post

Here's my result:

couplesnow.jpg

New technology sometimes requires new workflow to work with it! Funny here the simple rectangular selection made for a better run through with CAM. How about you?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

I tested this as well and got better results with a really generous selection with the very loose adaptation setting, here are screen shots of my selection and result

content_move.jpg

content_move2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to JonGCarlson

Yeah Jon,

I was mostly concerned with testing the process. The process might vary from image to image. I created the selection of the figures very quickly using the quick selection tool and then expanded it using the Select > Modlfy > Expand 15 pixels like Jeff described. I took the screen shot of the selection in Quick Mask mode just because it is easier to see versus the standard blinking outline. I agree the background might need some work. Actually your background that was generated originally (with the tight selection around the figures) was pretty incredible and very believable. I still find using new the tool quite a bit faster than trying to accomplish the same thing in Photoshop CS5.

-Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to David__B

I must say the Content Aware Tools are pretty useless right now - they produce subpar results. I think you could introduce "High quality mode" where it would take much more time to calculate all the pixels, but with professional-looking results. Every example you show here is flawed - the edge is always visible, regardless of the selection.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to takennick

I think it would be helpful if one had the option of defining the 'replace' source - ala the new patch Content Aware tool.

My beef - I do a very close selection on some of my examples, specify 'Very Strict' and it leaves a rather large chuck of the image behind.  Shouldn't there be a setting for the tool if you have a near exact selection?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 8:05 PM   in reply to Zaltook

Try making a much larger and more generous selection, with plenty of space around the main subject, and then experiment with "Strict" or "Very Strict" Adaptations.

You can cycle between these Adaptations while the Selection is still active to see which mode works the best.

Also:

First, create an empty Layer above your main Layer;

choose "Sample All Layers" for the Content Aware Move tool and do the move on the empty layer;

and then use a layer mask on that layer to hide any unwanted bits or to feather the edges of the moved item.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 9:05 PM   in reply to JonGCarlson

I prefer to finesse my one-step tricks!

I am not a button-clicking auto-anything sort of operator!

Don't bother with a Layer Mask if it is too much trouble but do use larger selections than the ones which you apparently have been using; and also note the very nice feature of being able to use the Healing tools and CAM tool on an empty over-lying layer.

You could also use an eraser on your retouching layer if you are really Mask-allergic?!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 9:20 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

While I appreciate masks, and generally do things on new layers anyway -- it still seems odd that it wouldn't account for all the section improving tools that have been introduced in previous versions.  CAM seems to want users to be deliberately sloppy.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 9:33 PM   in reply to Zaltook

CAM just seems to like a little breathing-space to it's job properly so tightly drawn selections don't give it the margins that are necessary for its calculations.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 9:42 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

Wildly unpredictable calculations, as shown above.  It would work better with a 'No-Fly-Zone'

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:03 PM   in reply to Zaltook

You'll find CAM less "wild", and discover how best to house-train it,  as you work with it for a bit.

If you are using it in Extend mode, move your selected area so that active section is still overlapping the area from which it came.

You can repeat that several times to spread some texture over a wider area.

Medium and the Looser Adaptations may work best when doing this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points