• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a recommended way to catch undefined parameters in a function?

Participant ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working on a script that had a function which recursively called itself. At one point the function had one parameter but eventually I added a second parameter. Unfortunately, i forgot to initialize the second parameter when i recursively called the function within the function. In the extendscript toolkit, this meant that when I hit the part of the function that required the parameter, it would throw an error "object is undefined" without telling me what the object was so I didn't know the issue was the uninitalized parameter. I wish the toolkit was robust enough to instead throw an error like "parameter [name of parameter] is undefined in function [name of function]". That would have immediately told me what was going on.

So is there some way to define a custom function or some test i could add in that would catch the unitialized parameter problem? The one thought i had was to always put an ObjectValid test on the parameters at the beginning of the function like so:

function foobar (parameter1, parameter2)

{ var vFunctionName=foobar;

if (parameter1.ObjectValid()&&parameter2.ObjectValid())

{ // execute code here

} else {Err(foobar.name+' has an unitialized parameter')}

}

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or i could do this, I suppose:

function foobar (parameter1, parameter2)

{

if (parameter1!=undefined&&parameter2!=undefined)

{ // execute code here

}

}  else {Err(foobar.name+' has an unitialized parameter.')}

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Or a different way would to be test that the number of arguments passed in is equivalent to the number of arguments declared in the function. Here's the test:

function createBookList(pFolder,pBookArray)

{   

var vFunctionArgs=createBookList.length;

var args = [].slice.call(arguments);

if (vFunctionArgs==args.length){$.writeln ('the number of parameters passed in MATCHES the parameters declared in the function')}

else {$.writeln('the number of parameters passed in do NOT match the parameters declared in the function ')}

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines