Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Layers panel and vector shapes

Mar 22, 2012 2:36 PM

I'm not happy with the changes to how vector shapes are displayed in both the layers panel and on the canvas.

First is how the shape layer is displayed in the layers panel; I use the panel view set to no thumbnail since I work with hundreds and hundreds of layers, and CS6 no longer shows the color fill of a shape layer in that display setting even though there is plenty of space to do so. Now the one and only place to see what the color of a shape layer is outside of the canvas is to double-click the layer to get the color picker. The missing color thumbnail also further makes it difficult to discern the layer types and my layers in general from one another.

The other problem is when you have a vector shape layer selected it is always stuck on displaying the shape path on the canvas the entire time. Previously you could click on the shape color thumbnail and it would hide the path. For complex and dense shapes you end up with half your shape displaying the path color instead of the proper color it is requiring multiple trips to the layers pallet, selecting a different random layer and back just so your shape layer will display correctly. I found you can toggle the path off in the Properties panel by randomly clicking on the path thumbnail, but it provides no visual indication the path is selected and there is absolutely no reason to have to go to a different place to perform this frequent function, not to mention you will have to do this every single time you select a shape layer whereas CS5 and earlier let you select a layer without toggling the path display.

Both of these may seem minor but I will absolutely not upgrade since they greatly impact my ability to both work with layers and to do design.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to Evil Lair

Fill, as well as stroke can be seen in the Option bar for a selected layer.

Hitting the enter key will hide the path from view.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to Evil Lair

>> CS6 no longer shows the color fill of a shape layer in that display setting even though there is plenty of space to do so.

Because it is no longer just a  fill color, the shape has a fill (color, gradient, or pattern) and  stroke (color, gradient or pattern).

As Mike said: these are visible in the vector tools' option bar.

Yes, they do work differently and it will take some time to adjust to the changes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)