Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Recorded ACTIONS not handling typography properly in PS6 beta

Mar 22, 2012 11:27 AM

Tags: #scaling #font #type #scripting #position #actions #cs6 #handling #placement #pbf

Recorded Actions are not properly rendering the scaling and placement of fonts when played back.

1) Go to http://www.psdcovers.com

2) Download any Action

3) Install and run "STEP 1 ••• Prepare Template"

The issue should be obvious and staring at you in the face when using PS6 beta.  The fonts are not scaled and positioned as recorded in the Actions which work fine all the way back to CS3.

Sincerely,

Simon

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to Karbonized

We are working to reproduce this issue.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to Karbonized

We are waiting to get some of the actions sent to us so we can reproduce the issue. Please see private messages on how to send.

Thanks,

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to Pattie F

Can you just copy over the actions from CS5 on the desktop? Also can CS6 files be opened on CS5?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Mar 22, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

Marcy, this does not seem to be an action migration issue.

If you did not use CS6 specific things, you should be able to open them directly, otherwize, you might have rendered pixels (like for the styles on layer groups)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 3:22 PM   in reply to Karbonized

Simon-

I downloaded the mug action from your website. I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Please clarify which actions seem broken, what you expeced, and what actually happened.  What version of Photohsop were the actions created in?

Thanks,

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 22, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to Karbonized

For what it's worth, I've tried some actions I had recorded in a VERY old version of Photoshop (6.0 I believe), which create a document and put some text in, and they render the type and layer styles perfectly.  There's no really basic problem here.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to Karbonized

Here is what they are talking about:

Action results from CS5:

cs5.jpg

Action results from CS6:

cs6.jpg

I also notice that the action is much slower in CS6.

But the thing is that loading actions created in previous versions of Photoshop into newer ones, you can't aways expect things to work exactly the same way. There is always the chance for something like this to happen. Especially with the changes to text handling in CS6. I did notice that the text is two different sizes once created between CS5 and CS6. I'm trying to pick apart the action to see what is going on...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to Karbonized

Still looking at this, but what I'm noticing so far is that the action is only doing two things wrong: the wrong sized text and the wrong leading.

The text is still the same ratio 2:1. In CS5, et al, the text is: first line 20, following lines 10. In CS6, the text is: first line 70, following lines 35. The leading is 40. Creating a similar action step in CS6 works correctly...

However, I notice that the action commands are different. Text is very complicated in actions, and the list of items is a bit different in CS6. Not sure why the difference causes the action to behave strangely, but again, the Type tool has been completely reworked for CS6. These kinds of differences are not so unexpected, in these kinds of cases it is usually best to recreate the action (or at least update the action by rerecording these text steps).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to Brett N

Another little update... I just created this step as an action in CS5 and moved it over to CS6: worked just fine.

What version of Photoshop created these actions?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points