Recorded Actions are not properly rendering the scaling and placement of fonts when played back.
1) Go to http://www.psdcovers.com
2) Download any Action
3) Install and run "STEP 1 ••• Prepare Template"
The issue should be obvious and staring at you in the face when using PS6 beta. The fonts are not scaled and positioned as recorded in the Actions which work fine all the way back to CS3.
Marcy, this does not seem to be an action migration issue.
If you did not use CS6 specific things, you should be able to open them directly, otherwize, you might have rendered pixels (like for the styles on layer groups)
I downloaded the mug action from your website. I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Please clarify which actions seem broken, what you expeced, and what actually happened. What version of Photohsop were the actions created in?
For what it's worth, I've tried some actions I had recorded in a VERY old version of Photoshop (6.0 I believe), which create a document and put some text in, and they render the type and layer styles perfectly. There's no really basic problem here.
Here is what they are talking about:
Action results from CS5:
Action results from CS6:
I also notice that the action is much slower in CS6.
But the thing is that loading actions created in previous versions of Photoshop into newer ones, you can't aways expect things to work exactly the same way. There is always the chance for something like this to happen. Especially with the changes to text handling in CS6. I did notice that the text is two different sizes once created between CS5 and CS6. I'm trying to pick apart the action to see what is going on...
@ Pattie, WOW, you managed to find and test the one Action that does render properly!
However, as Brett points out, the problem is consistent across most of the Actions on my site. And Brett just happens to have used the exact sample I was ready to post so I won't clutter up the forum with another branded render.
As Brett points out in his screenshot in the red area, the top image shows the text correctly rendered in CS3, CS4 and CS5. However in CS6 beta only some text is rendered correctly as shown in the lower shot where the Actions lable JESUSPAD011 is simply not scaled or positioned at all and neither are the instructions for iPad 2 renders.
I can submit several other examples if you like, but Brett's shot here pretty much sums it up.
Brett, I too noticed the slower rendering in CS6 but figured it was due to a beta build.
Is it possible that CS6 properly scales and renders text that DOES NOT have the marque tool inserted into the text field? I know that I sometimes like to scale and place the text while I'm still typing as it's easier and faster to record. That way when I stop the recording the scale, placement and content of the text is recorded in one sequence. The alternative is to type the text, then scale the text, then move the text (3 steps vs 1).
It's the only thing I can think of that would explain why some text on some Actions renders just fine.
Still looking at this, but what I'm noticing so far is that the action is only doing two things wrong: the wrong sized text and the wrong leading.
The text is still the same ratio 2:1. In CS5, et al, the text is: first line 20, following lines 10. In CS6, the text is: first line 70, following lines 35. The leading is 40. Creating a similar action step in CS6 works correctly...
However, I notice that the action commands are different. Text is very complicated in actions, and the list of items is a bit different in CS6. Not sure why the difference causes the action to behave strangely, but again, the Type tool has been completely reworked for CS6. These kinds of differences are not so unexpected, in these kinds of cases it is usually best to recreate the action (or at least update the action by rerecording these text steps).
CS4 Extended and tested in CS3 by me and CS5 by others. Things worked fine so I felt I had a good system covering 3 versions.
Some of the actions have over 400 proceedures. Even if I'm only updating the text it will be a major pain. Not to mention the number of people that are going to complain—these Actions have been downloaded many thousands of times over.
Brett, I spent about 6 hours looking for a way to update all my Actions as quickly as possible. The fastest, and ugly solution, was to simply delete all the text layers at the end of each Action and manually recreate the bad fields and enter their point sizes manually. In the past I has always eyeballed the text size by scaling the field itself while still in edit mode. My gut tells me the issue is rooted in that workflow.
Anyhow, all Actions are now updated and I've created a new workflow to follow when preparing the Actions going forward from this date. No more scaling fonts manually...
Europe, Middle East and Africa