Skip navigation
JNR007_
Currently Being Moderated

Help is my laptop powerfull enough to run CS5.5 with Red Epic footage

Mar 21, 2012 10:45 AM

Hi guys my editor dropped out of my shoot next week and I need to know if my laptop can handle Red Epic footage useing CS5.5 I have a Dell XPSL702x which is running Win 7 64bit i7-2630QM Cpu @ 2.00Ghz 2.00Ghz with a Nvida graphics card its not full hd though so would I have to edit at a lower rez and then join it up in hd at the end and I would need the Red Epic adapter.

We will be backing up the raw footage on 3 exteral hard drives

Thanks help please

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to JNR007_

Give it a test but I would guess your system would not play well with Epic media.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to JNR007_

Lookng at the processor it would certainly not be the one i would be looking for while editing RED footage.

Also RED footage has a high data transfer rate, so working on them from an external hard drive(unless its RAID setup with esata) would be a bad idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to JNR007_

JNR,

I suspect that you will be able to edit RED Epic but the going will be slow. Several comments:

- reduce your preview window resolution until playback is "smooth"

- you may need to do a sequence / render entire work area if your system is not fast enough to keep up - especialy if you are working with multiple RED layers (multi-cam, etc.)

- hopefully you have at least 8GB or RAM in your laptop, and I suspect more would be better

- definitely use multiple simultaneous drives to share the data transfer load; your laptop has (2) USB 3 ports + I think a eSATA port. If the 3 external drives you have access to are all USB 2.0 find some faster external drives quick! As Chester points out a RAID 0 eSATA solution would work well if you need to buy something.

Good luck and do report back here how it goes!

Regards,

Jim

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points