• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos won't display in Parent folders or All Photographs

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to LR4 from LR3 when I go to the library and click on "All photographs" none of my 86000 photos show up.

The same thing happens in folders module....for example:

1. My photos are in folders titled 20120306

2. Those folders are siored in a single "parent" folder called 2012

3. All the "parent" year folders are in a folder called MAIN

When I click on main it does not display any photos but it tells me how many photos are in the folder

When I click on 2012 it does not display any photos but it tells me how many photos are in the folder

When I click on 20120306 it then dislays the photos.

I am not sure why clicking on 2012 it would not show me ALL of the photos taken in 2012, that is what LR3 did......

PLEASE help as I am very puzzled by this!

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

This issue has been fixed in Lightroom 4.1, which is now available.  To download the 4.1 update, go to the Help menu in Lightroom and choose "Check for Updates".

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 110 Replies 110
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't yet have Lightroom 4 installed, but I know how to get Lightroom 3 in and out of the mode you are now in.

Be in the Library module and select your MAIN folder in the Folders panel.  Go to the Library menu and choose

"Show Photos in Subfolders" to toggle that option on and off. I suspect right now it is turned off on our system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I originally thought it might be but when I do that nothing changes.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant thanks! 

Didn't know about the option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. All I did was optimize catalog, restart lightroom and then restart the computer. After that all of the images come back in the main folder and are visible. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  The All Photographs collection under Catalog shows the message "Click the Import... button to begin", although the numerical value of total images is there.  I tried re-optimizing, and restarting, but this did not work for me.  When I first upgraded, some of my other top level folders (2011, 2012, etc) showed a message "no photos in selected folder", but this seems to have resolved itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this same issue.   I tried what selps03 recommended and still nothing.

Also, the main foilder that holds the physical files does not display what is in the sub folders.  If I go to each individual folder, it will show the data.   The "All Photographs" selection in the catalog shows the 29,000 number, which is correct, but does not show me the previews.

The other odd thing is that if I type in a keyword in the text filter box, I get image previews to display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I had the problem fixed, but now it's back. It won't show me the previews for the images in the "All Photographs" section. If I go down and click on the actual folders, it will show the images. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a solution, but do not know if it is optimal.

There seems to be a bug in the upgrade function.  If you let the Lightroom install do the catalog upgrade, no previews.

I went in, created a new catalog - then did LIBRARY --> Import from catalog...   and that seems to have worked.

Took quite a few minutes to get the 29000+ files moved over, but better than losing the catalog all together and having to rebuild it all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying the import from previous catalog approach, after 8 hours now, I'm at 15k of 45k photos....It would be really nice to know what the issue is and whether there is a workaround that does not take hours to complete.  I have a very recent computer, i2700k, 16gb ram, plenty of disk space, nothing else running.  My photos are on multiple drives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you reimport I would assume that you lose all of your metadata.....keywords, flags, applied develop settings, etc.

I am on the phone with Adobe right now.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cancelled the reimport, deleted the catalogs.  Went back to open a new catalog from the old catalog.  The conversion takes place.  New catalog is slightly larger.  I tried re optimizing, but still left with "Click the import... button to begin".  So, I'm back at no usable catalog.  Please update with what you hear from Adobe.  I may have to call as well.

Update, I spent two hours on Chat with Adobe, let them take over driving, still same issue.  Final step before escalating to next level is they started the import from the old catalog again, so I'm back to waiting for that to finish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gryphon1911's posted process worked for me.  And FYI: I have 188,659 files and it took almost exactly 3-hours to complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jimmy, did you have any indication of progress for this step?  I'm trying this step and the only progress I can see is the photo count jumped to 500, then made its way to 3500 and now it just seems stalled out.  I don't want to cancel, but it does not appear to be doing anything at all.  The other thing I see is that it is not creating previews/copying previews and updating them.  It looks to me like it started and then stopped almost immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a   v e r y  s l o w  progress bar the entire time- and just as gryphon noted above, there was an "unknown error occurred" error at the end without any consequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, after 15 hours of running, the progress bar has moved to about 1/3rd the way and the photo count lower left in the grid indicates 14k photos.  I am canceling.  Basically, I cannot get LR4 to convert the catalog.  I'll try one more approach.  I do use publish services.  flickr, smugmug, picassa, facebook.  Not sure if this is part of the issue, but I really don't want to lose all this work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried optimizing and rebooting and STILL have the same problem! I have 86,075 in the numerical value under "All photographs" and no photos show up, only "Click the Import... button to begin"

HELP!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was on the phone from 8am (5am pacific) when Adobe opened until 12:15 and wanted to update this post with what I found out.

I have a case number and it is now escalated to an engineer as we have tried everything to resolve the issue. I did notice that when openeing a smaller catalog the issue does not seem to surface. My main catalog is over 86,000 images and NONE of the images show up in the library module when viewing All Photographs. It seems as the size of my catalog is where the engineers will be talking a look at. The 86,000 images worked perfectly fine in LR3.

Does any one else have a large catalog? If anyone else has this problem can you post the size of your catalog.

This is now a KNOWN bug in LR4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.  I'm at just over 88,000 images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, 108,434 images. Any parent folder whose child folders have in excess of roughly 1100 total images exhibits that problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a catalogue with 118000 and another one with 38000 and both work ok. I converted a third catalogue with just over 9000 and here the main directory and All Photographs display the correct count but no pictures

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2012 Mar 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, me too. 298,000 images. All raw 5DmKII files.

I originally posted in Lightroom Forums with all details here:

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?14927-LR4-catalogue-update-doesn-t-see-files-in-Loupe-...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Around 39.000 pictures in my catalogue, even newly imported folders with about 400 pictures in it do not work!!! Smaller folders are displayed correctly.

Windows 7 64 bit. Previous LR version: 3.4.

This is just unbelievable that this wasn't found during beta-testing. I will not play around with any workarounds but expect Adobe to provide an update asap. It is really annoying to pay for an update and then have to work with the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here but I'm only at 45k images.  Adobe wanted me to import, but the import from catalog was taking way too long.  I am currently exporting my current catalog in smaller chunks.  I'm trying one at 5k and the second at 40k.  Once the export finishes, I will try and import from catalog on both of these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't just a parent/children issue, I can multi-select any combination of folders and when the total number of images in the multi-selection exceeds roughly 1100 the "no photos in selected folder" problem occurs. If I de-select any folder to reduce the total number of images in the multi-selection, the message goes away and the images reappear in the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines