Skip navigation
jose_torres_2
Currently Being Moderated

No File Preview  in "Open" or "Save As" windows in Ps CS6

Mar 22, 2012 10:48 AM

Tags: #file #no #ps #preview #windows #in #cs6 #or #"save #as" #"open"

This may be a small convenience feature, but I noticed that I can't preview a file in Ps CS6 in the Open window

Ps CS5 is below:

pscs5.JPG

I can select a PSD file and preview it whereas I cannot in CS6:

pscs6.JPG

Same thing with "Save As" and "Place" windows

Not a big deal, but after all it's the little things that count

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to jose_torres_2

The preview was causing problems on MacOS and Windows, and duplicates functionality that is supposed to be provided by MacOS and Windows. 

So it became a matter of "how much work do we want to invest in duplicated effort and working around OS issues where they obviously don't want us doing that in the first place?"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

there are some freeware tools and some you have to pay for that will show the preview in the actual window where you select the files.

i am using this:

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to jose_torres_2

they also had a freeware tools that AFAIK supports PSD but had not so much support for RAW files.

but it is not on their website anymore and they will not update it.  they have gone commercial.

thought you might still find it on ZDNET or other sites.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

SageThumbs (free) adds back PSD previews:

1.png

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to nealeh

I've had it installed for quite a while - it is rather neat (it does RAW as well):

2.png

But note that, as installed, it only create previews for files up to 20MB so if you want psd or raw you need to up that in options. You can see this above - I have my options set to 80MB but the file 05B_End.psd is 98.4MB, hence no preview. Also note that initially, when you first enter a folder containing images, it takes a little while to create thumbnail previews (but you can still work with the file while it does that in background).

3.png

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 23, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to jose_torres_2

I like the new, cleaner Photoshop CS6 File - Open dialog, though I would have liked it better if they'd have provided a 2-pane Explorer window (with Navigation and Files panes) instead of the old stile with the Favorites Bar along the left side.

Another product for augmenting Windows and showing you thumbnails and previews of your files is the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack.

It's commercial software and last I looked carefully it did some things quite a bit better than SageThumbs.  Well worth the price.

FPVPSCS6Open.jpg

I'm showing it here working with Photoshop CS6 and in Windows 8.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

i mentioned that pack above... and there is (was) also a freeware/donationware pack available.  though it is not on their website anymore.

Noel Carboni wrote:

Another product for augmenting Windows and showing you thumbnails and previews of your files is the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 3:34 AM   in reply to jose_torres_2

Ok I had posed this question in another thread; and was directed to take a look here.  Personally, I do not think we should have to install or pay for another program or application to get what we already had with CS5...  if it worked in Windows 7 OS in CS5 why can it not work in CS6????  Obviously I am no tech wizzard, but I do know what I need when I work with photoshop!  I design clothing using photoshop,  and when I am looking for a material file that will work with my design; I may have hundreds of files to select from all very similar unless I can see them.   I do not want to open the darn bridge and risk crashing,  nor do I want to have to open every single file to see what the heck it is when I should be able to just click on it and see the image below like in CS5.. I may be a minority here but that function saved me one heck of a lot of time;  and no I don't think we should have to install another program to get that function!  Sorry to me it is more important than it might be to someone else..  I also don't want to add a program that is going to open yet another window to show me the file I want to see;  I want the file and the preview in the same place right where I can just click, see,  and open .. simple.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to jose_torres_2

I'm with you, Tazz222. I won't be forced to use Bridge. Have never liked it. Never will. If Adobe doesn't think it's worthwhile to make this option work, then I guess they don't think my business is worthwhile. I'm happy with CS5. Wow, now what to do with all that money I won't be giving to Adobe? Hhmmm...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 10, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to Ernsberger

"Forced" to use Bridge?

I'm not saying you should have to pay for a codec pack (I happen to agree that Adobe should provide a good codec for their formats), BUT...

Note these screen grabs of Windows Explorer and Photoshop's File-Open dialog... Note especially the raw file thumbnails. Unseen here is that you can view all of these formats seamlessly in the Windows Photo Viewer.

ExplorerCodecs.jpg

PS File Open.jpg

A good, complete codec pack may just be worth paying for, REGARDLESS of whether you're planning to get Photoshop CS6. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel I see your examples above,  but that looks like it is in a seperate open window from photoshop; and that is exactly what I am trying to not have to do.  Sure you can see the files in what you are showing but can you just click on one you want and have it come up on your workspace in photoshop?  I am thinking you would have to get the name of the file then go into photoshop and open find the fille by it's name and then open it..  Too many steps.  Or perhaps I am not understanding it correctly.  What I want to be able to do is have only photoshop CS6 open,  be able to click open, find the folder I need,  open the folder,  search the files, click on ones that I might want to open and see below a pic of what each file is and then when I find the one I want just click open an have it right there on my workspace.  I don't want to have to be switching back and forth from a photo viewer window..  Does anyone understand what I mean?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 10, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to Tazz222

The second image above IS the dialog you get when you choose File - Open in Photoshop.  Just click one and hit [Open] and it's open in Photoshop.  I chose Extra Large Icons view to illustrate the point clearly.

Other options, from Explorer, include just drag a file to a Photoshop icon on the desktop, or set it to open on double-click, or right-click and choose Open With...

Does anyone understand what I mean?

Everyone understands what you mean.  The preview at the bottom of the File - Open dialog is gone and apparently it's not coming back. 

I'm just trying to help you see other ways to accomplish what you want, and you don't seem to be getting it.

Go download the free trial of the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack, install it, then see how it works for yourself!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to Tazz222

Tazz222 wrote:

What I want to be able to do is have only photoshop CS6 open,  be able to click open, find the folder I need,  open the folder,  search the files, click on ones that I might want to open and see below a pic of what each file is and then when I find the one I want just click open an have it right there on my workspace.  I don't want to have to be switching back and forth from a photo viewer window..  Does anyone understand what I mean?

Would it work for you to browse and open files using the MiniBridge panel inside Photoshop? Yes, it requires having Bridge open in the background, but at least you get to navigate folders with file previews without leaving Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 8:00 PM   in reply to Conrad Chavez

No Conrad it would not help to use the minibridge,  it still requires more system resources than I can spare would crash me!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 8:49 PM   in reply to Conrad Chavez

Ok Noel I think I have got it now..  I am good at creating my art but sometimes the technology I use to create it makes me a tadd confused.  I did as you suggested and downloaded and installed the codec thing you suggested (trial version)  and yes you are correct it does show the pics where I need them to.  there are even pics on my desktop now that used to be just a big E..  So thank you and all the others who attempted to assist me with this delema..  very grateful.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 8:43 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I wish I would of discovered this codec pack before! Thanks for the information and one last thought, I agree that Adobe should include some codecs for PSDs and other Adobe Files. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 14, 2012 8:53 PM   in reply to Lynda Spangler

You're welcome; I love passing along tips for things I've found work very well.  -Agfaclack- gets credit for mentioning the FPV Codec Pack first in this thread.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)