Skip navigation
rohandesilva
Currently Being Moderated

We need to create fillable PDF forms and convert those to XML. What should we purchase?

Mar 22, 2012 5:16 AM

We need to create fillable PDF forms. The forms have a definite structure. The filled forms and sent back to us. We need to scan those forms and convert

those forms to XML. Our final goal is to extract the filled informationa and transfer it to a DB.

What products should we buy??

What about the convertion to XML?? Do we need the SDK and DLL? If so what to purchase??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to rohandesilva

Really depends on the number of users accessing and filling these forms. I believe using the SDK and DLLs in a server setting is not supported. They are only used in client environments.

For large amount of users, Forms ES can be used to process submitted documents, execute any server-side script, extract any xml data, etc. Its probably going to be expensive though so Im sure there could be 3rd party ones to just handle data extraction.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to rohandesilva

This form is about the LiveCycle Forms ES product which is a server-based solution so you are not going to find it on the shelf as it were. What is the XML going to contain? Just the data? You can submit the data from the pdf hosted in a browser to a web-hosted component (i.e. java servlet, asp, etc). What you cannot do without any server product is call web services, database connections, data extraction (server-side), etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 5:40 AM   in reply to rohandesilva

If you are not using any server process at all when exporting the data (i.e. someone will start the convert to xml and upload to db) then you can with acrobat using the SDK to export the xml data from the form (you would need acrobat to do this, reader will not work without reader extensions) inside a vb app for example. You could run javascript when the form is loaded to export the data. There is a method called exportXFAData which can be used to export the bound data from the xfa data model (i.e. bind the sample you provided to your form objects) and it will be generated in that format.

You would probably need to download the SDK docs from http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/sdk/eula.html

However if you are trying to automate this process end-to-end then I believe you will run into trouble since Acrobat is purely a front-end application and using it as a server process is not what it is designed to do (nor are you licensed to do this when you buy acrobat)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points