Skip navigation
muziknotes
Currently Being Moderated

Issues converting pptx to pdf - images disappearing or only showing in pieces

Mar 22, 2012 6:34 PM

Tags: #conversion_error #convert_to_pdf #powerpoint_2007

Recently I am having issues converting my pptx files to pdf.  I'm on Windows 7, Powerpoint 2007 and have tired both Acrobat 10.1.2 as well as Acrobat 9.5.

When I choose save as PDF from Powerpoint, it publishes BUT, many of the images (created in powerpoint with clip art and shapes) are disappearing from the PDF.  Some of my pptx files have converted without issue (using the combination of pptx & Acrobat 10.1.2)  - however, if I go back in an make even a simple change (even to text) it will NOT convert to PDF accurately - once again images go missing and I get an error message.

I have tried repairing my Acrobat - that didn't change the results. I also tried going to an earlier version of Acrobat reader and that didn't work either.  I even uninstalled and re-installed Acrobat, re-started my computer - etc.

I'm at a bit of a loss - since I've not had issues in the past?  This issue seems recent - within the last couple of months. 

Any ideas where else I might look or what else I might try?

Thank you so very much for your insights!

Loreen

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2012 8:59 PM   in reply to muziknotes

When you say images are missing, are there places holders there and you just cannot see the image. In that case check to be sure you have "view large images" turned on.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to muziknotes

Out of curiosity, what do you get if you try the MS plugin to convert to PDF, rather than the Acrobat tools? I am not suggesting to change, although it might be a workaround until you find the problem.

What exactly does the error message say? However are you creating the PDF -- print to the Adobe PDF printer or with PDF maker (or even in Acrobat directly -- that uses PDF Maker)?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 8:57 PM   in reply to muziknotes

With WORD/PPT 2007, there are basically 4 methods of creating a PDF, assuming you are working with Acrobat and not a 3rd party product. The most fundamental is to print to the Adobe PDF printer. If you have installed Acrobat, that should be a printer on your system. PDF Maker shows up as an Adobe menu on the WORD menu bar. It is also one of the options in the File>Save as PDF (not sure of the correct name, on the worng machine to check). There is another File>Save as that is the MS plugin. It is not real clear which is which. As I mentioned, printing to the Adobe PDF printer is the most fundamental process, but does not include links and such. It used to be that PDF Maker was just a front end for the printer that added PDF Marks to allow links and such. WIth AA9, they changed the processing somewhat.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 6:32 PM   in reply to muziknotes

Loreen,

With Acrobat 9 or X and Office 2007 applications installed on a local machine Acrobat's PDFMaker addin is available. This includes PowerPoint 2007.

The following four screen captures depict the four avenues for obtaining an output PDF from PowerPoint 2007.
    The first two make use of PDFMaker.
    The third uses the Office 2007 process for output to PDF.
    The fourth takes you the the traditional "File > Print" where you select a printer driver.
    If the Adobe PDF virtual printer is selected you "print" to PDF.

PPT01.PNG

PPT02.PNG

PPT03.PNG

PPT04.PNG

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to CtDave

I am having a similar problem. Have posted question elsewhere but it hasn't been answered. "show large images" is not a solution (and come to think of it, why would you NOT want all images in a pdf to show? I can't think of a single reason for that.

From what I can tell, this issue has nothing to do with how the pdf is created, it's a problem in Acrobat. If you found a solution, please let me know. here's my issue:

When creating PDF documents from any software (Illustrator, Corel, InDesign, etc), color objects over 50% of the page size have white fill. If object has an outline, the outline will appear normally, but the fill will be white. I've searched forums everywhere and have found no answer. Most forum topics on this are issue focus on settings in the program that exported the PDF. I am 100% sure this is not an export problem, but is something in Acrobat itself (a missed setting? Corrupt program file?)  

To provide the best information, I've done a little scientific research. Here is what I know:

• Currently running Acrobat Pro 9.5.5
    • This is only happening on ONE install of Acrobat 9. Documents display correctly in Reader X and in Acrobat 9 on other machines.
    • Started happening a few weeks ago, I have no idea what changed.
    • "Show Large Images" in preferences dialog is checked. Unchecking it and rechecking it does nothing.
    • Have installed all available updates to the software
    • I experimented with different object sizes. At 50% of page size, objects appeared normal, at 51% filled object disappears.
    • Does not affect photos, only affects vector objects.
    • running this on Windows Vista 64 Bit

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 4:10 PM   in reply to kennethholmes

I had the same issue so downloaded CutePDF for free and it works...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points