Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

V19 release: Discussion and Opinion

Mar 13, 2012 5:16 AM

I want to congratulate the DPS team to another great update with the DPS tools, v19.

It is great to see the tools developing so fast. DPS is a complex system, and it is great to see movement here.

Here are a few initial thoughts after testing:

• great to see favorites!
  • social sharing! yeah — first steps done. excellent.
  • the viewer chrome does not pop up within HTML — good fix!

here are a few opinions:

• favorites: why are you saving folio number and not folio title, ah yes, because of WIRED :-^
  • social sharing to facebook is just the beginning. there is a lot to come and adobe showed that there will be. This basic sharing could have been done for single folio apps as well. I can understand that multi-page-sharing is only for multi folio apps
  • the viewer chrome does also not pop up in HTML articles

great to see improved interactive overlays as well — cannot test right now, will do later!

—Johannes

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2012 8:06 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

I really dont think you should be so self concratulating I have come back to DPS after using the pre-release version last year, and yes it has the potential to be a good system, but at the moment its a mess. The way the latest release has been handled is typical

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

For one, the new Scrollable Frame option does not work correctly: you can slide up from the bottom, but you can not slide down again (sliding from the left/right side does still work)...

And pasted into frames are cut off and have some parts not showing.

In other words: new feature, nice idea, but is not usable at this moment.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,636 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to Frans van der Geest

Did you test this using the desktop viewer or the iPad viewer? My experience is that I can create pull tabs on all sides exactly as designed when previewed on the custom iPad viewer, but these same effects are not working properly on the desktop viewer. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Ah yes Bob, on desktop viewer, have not yet uploaded to builder as I'm not sure the current iPad viewer can handle sprint 19 builds...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 5:16 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

i'll try this afternoon, i hope. Will let you know.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

No, I have tested it with same results.

BTW,  you did not see your exported folio because of the size, I think. 2048x1536 is available only to New iPad. When I exported it it was showing in Folio Producer, but did not appear in my Content Viewer.

I finally tested a 1024x768 file with 2048x1536 slide show. Background (tested white and black) was blinking always during first run, and never later.

Tomek

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

You need 2 more days and EUR2000 to see it freely;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to Martin Lér

Martin Lér wrote:

i'll try this afternoon, i hope. Will let you know.

Hm, seems that it will take some time... But maybe Johannes or Tomek can help me . Recetly (week ago) we came to second year of our iOS development program. So i recreated our developer and distribution certificate. Today i've created new version of Adobe Content Viewer with Viewer Builder, uploaded to Testflightapp.com and... i can't install it to our iPads. Installation will start, but before end it will stop with error, that app can't be installed now (very unspecific error). I think that it can have something to do with new certificate, but i'm not iOS dev guru, so i'm now little bit lost. From my understanding i don't need to recreate provision profiles, so i'm using old ones. Anyone some idea? Thanks a lot!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to Martin Lér

Martin, did you try to install the Content Viewer via iTunes?

I did not have any problems with that, and I used same certs and mobileprovision as last time.

Tomek

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to Tomek Kuczborski

Tomek, problem will be not with Viewer, but with my certs. So my question is more iOS-development related (i know that this is not best place

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Yeah, i forgot abour referencing dev certificate in mobileprovision, in meantime i checked it and recreated mobilprovi. Now it works and i can test error .

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Johannes, tools v19, standard iPad resolution 1024x768, uploaded to iPad by wire and by cloud, can't replicate "flashing", transition is always correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

OK. I have tested Johannes' bug on three MSOs made from scratch.

The bug is persistent, it appeared in all three MSO.s. On the first 

run, every change of state produces background blink (Tested with 

white, black and pink bckgnd). In one case, I had also incomplete 

renderening of some states, with background showing from beneath.

This incomplete rendering did not disappear after first run.

All folios were tested both as uploaded and via USB.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 11:49 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Both. As a matter of fact I also tested one MSO with light grey letters on dark background ( no images, just indesign text and fill), and the effect/bug was just the same.

Tomek

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

just curious... is the problem occurring on both iPad 1 and iPad 2?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Matt_TJP_01

In my case – iPad2

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Sorry guys... I can't speak directly to your issue because i'm waiting for the latest iPad viewer to be released before I start working with v19 tools.

However, I did see a similar issue in v18 with a html content page that was set to play 5 short animations. You would swipe to go from one animation to the next, but it would flash white the same as I see in your video example. If you would swipe through a second time there was no white flashing. We saw the same bug on both iPad 1 and 2.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Hello Johannes and Tomaz any of you found a workaround for the fade in MSO behavior? I'm using several MSO's to set elements on top of ther interactives and those behind are revealed the first time the MSO plays...

Anyone from Adobe can confirm this bug?

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

I am also experiencing some erratic behavior from sideshow MSO's. 

I am using v19 Tools, Builder, and Content Viewer on both the iPad2 and iPad3.

I can confirm the flash to white between the initial run through of the slides.  Also I have noticed that on Desktop viewer (have yet to test on v19 Content Viewer on iPad2 / 3) the state that is selected in the layout .indd file flashes before showing the desired initial state of the MSO sideshow.

So to be clear.  If I create a MSO sideshow and have any state of that MSO selected in the Object States palette that is NOT the intended inital state, the selected state will appear quickly then revert to to the desired initial state when previewed. 

Will test on iPad to see if this behavior remains across viewer types. 

Good news is this is an easy fix by simply making sure to have the initial state selected prior to uploading to producer although this would be a new best practice.

Any others experiencing the MSO slideshow "jump"?

-Tony C

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 2:39 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Unfortunately I still get this specific MSO behavior (fade in and out from background when changing states) in the 19.1 version of the producer tools.

Very annoying thing. I experimented with the slideshow settings in overly creator, but the result is the same.

In my desktop viewer all seems fine, but not in the generated Adobe Viewer.

Has anyone further tips regarding this behavior? Is downgrading to v18 an option?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

nils

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 8:48 PM   in reply to mpm_iPad

@mpm_iPad and Everyone above with the MSO problem in v19

How are you previewing the MSO(slideshow)? Are you previewing using the preview on device option directly from InDesign? If yes, I get the same error and looks like this is a bug to me or something that's specific to the iOS webkit rendering or something that Adobe needs to fix it with Apple.

But the preview on the newly custom built Adobe content viewer works fine as expected and shouldn't be a problem on live app. I have tested and confirmed by building a viewer app.

So basically, you need to login to the Adobe Content Viewer on your iPad and download the folio and preview. So, to avoid any unexpected MSO behaviour, the best work around is to login, download and preview and not preview directly from InDesign. Hope this helps :-)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)