Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Opinions wanted for a "Decent" PC Laptop for PE 10

Mar 21, 2012 4:32 AM

Hi Folks - I'm sure this question has been posed before, and will continue to be posed again, and again - Especially since PC's change so fast

I'm not real tech savy, and may not have all my terms right... Anyway, I'm making short (2-5 minute long) videos which I'll post to YouTube.

I usually work with 2 Audio/video tracks, and a narration track, shot with a Canon T2 Rebel (550D).

I want to edit and master them in 1080p HD, so I can show them on a TV too.

I'm currently using Premeir elements 10, along with a Dell Studio Laptop & Windows 7.  The laptop has the following specs:  Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo, T6600 2.2GHz; 4GB Ram; I do not have any special, or upgraded, video processor

My current system can get the job done, but it is a dog while activly editing (I don't really care about render time).  I'd like somthing that will allow me to work faster, and was wondering what folks thought about this PC that's on sale right now - I really like the pricetag of it, but it's worthless if it won't be a real upgrade for me  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+15.6%22+Pavilion+Laptop+-+6GB+Memory+ -+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Dark+Umber/4815065.p?id=1218533331581&skuId=48150 65

I'd like to know opinions on this, or other options.

Please keep in mind I am NOT a professional video editor, nor do I desire to be.  My computer is used for word processing, and spreadsheet work 95% of the time, with video work only 5% of the time.  And I don't see myself doing any video work that is more involved than what I'm doing now.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 4:55 AM   in reply to Gregory Paolini

My first suggestion would be to work on a desktop rather than a laptop. Laptops are built for portability, not speed. And a laptop can cost you nearly twice as much as a similarly equipped desktop -- while the desktop usually includes a faster hard drive and is more easily customizable (including the ability to add a second hard drive internally).

But, that said, if you plan to edit high-def video, you'd be best to get an i7 processor, Windows 7 64-bit and 6 gigs of RAM. You should also ensure your monitor is at least 1280x1024 and, ideally, your computer should have a second internal hard drive (each drive at least 500 gigs), which you will use for your project and media files (each project in its own separate folder).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to Gregory Paolini

The only two laptops, that I have seen, for video editing are from Sager, or ADK. Both are stout machines, but do come with a "stout" price tag too.

For ideal video editing, I recommend the following:

• Intel i7 (faster IS better)
    • At least 2x SATA 7200 RPM HDD's (minimum), with a 3x setup being even better. This is where most laptops fail, as they only have 1x HDD's.
    • At least 12GB RAM
    • A 64-bit OS (to take advantage of that RAM)
    • nVidia, or ATI/AMD graphics chip
    • IEEE-1394a connection
    • Ideally an ExpressCard slot, to allow for an eSATA card, or, as is my case right now, an IEEE-1394b card

Note: my Sager is a power hog, but then I use it hooked to the mains, on my patio, and do not attempt to edit with it, when in the air, and away from power.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to Gregory Paolini

Some ideas for a Laptop Video Editing PC from past discussions
    http://www.sagernotebook.com/
    http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957472
    http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=118
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?E dpNo=637440&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=10#
    -NOTE only 1 hard drive in above, so you will need to add a 2nd drive or use eSata for video files
    -or Google "ASUS G74SX-BBK7" (without the quote "" marks)
    For effective HD video editing, a laptop with the following
    -the newer Intel sandy bridge 2720 or 2820 quad processor
    -and nvidia graphics preferably the 460m, 485m is a bit much
    -1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card
    -and 8 or 16 gig ram and Win7 64bit Pro
    -and 2 internal 7200 HDDs minimum

CS5 info... but still good reading

CS5 Requirements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750
    About Requirements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/618058
    Disk Configurations http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878419

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Good links, John T.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to Gregory Paolini

We did answer your question, Gregory.

You say you want to edit  HD 1080 video. If you do, you will need a lot more horsepower in order for your timeline to play more smoothly. It doesn't matter whether or not you plan to be a "serious" editor. That's how much power it takes to edit hi-def video smoothly.

Although, as I think we've inidicated elsewhere, Premiere Elements is not capable to edit 1080p natively in any event. It is designed to edit 1080i only. So sticking to the 1080i format alone may resolve the vast majority of your playback and rendering issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to Gregory Paolini

Your camera shoots in three different modes:

1920x1080p: 30/24 fps (NTSC), 25/24 fps (PAL)

1280x720p (HD): 60 fps (NTSC), 50 fps (PAL)

640x480 (SD): 60 fps (NTSC), 50 fps (PAL)

Premiere Elements 10 should support these modes if you select the appropriate setting under DSLR.

Is this what you've done in the past? If so, you should NOT see red lines above your clips when you first add them to your timeline.

Is that the case in your project?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

It seems counterintuitive that a "consumer" format/CODEC (the H.264) takes more CPU horsepower, than many established "pro" formats/CODEC's, but it does. AVCHD/H.264 is very, very processor intensive. Basically, this means that to edit the "consumer" material, the user needs a more powerful machine, than some "pros" need. This trips up many. Now that AVCHD has become a universal, even the "pros," with dedicated workstations, are having to upgrade, if they have to Import and edit that footage.

Back when AVCHD was first implemented (consumer cameras first), I know many salespeople, who were licking their lips, when they sold the average hobbyist a new AVCHD camera, as they knew in just a few weeks, they would then be selling them a new computer to edit the footage.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

A very good point, Bill.

So, Gregory, an affordable alternative to buying a very fast, new computer is picking up a good, old miniDV camcorder. You can pick up a used Sony miniDV on eBay for about $100.

MiniDV is the easiest format to edit, and even a minimal computer running Premiere Elements 10 will be able to work with it with ease!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to Gregory Paolini

I wanted to come out from hiding and say that I really do appreciate all of this information you all have been sharing. I have been in tears (literally) over a very similar issue and now I am realizing that a lot of my problems with PsE10 may be directly related to the camera I am using. I had no idea that so much was involved in creating a simple craft video

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Gregory Paolini

If there are no red lines, initially, that means that you HAVE chosen the right Project Preset for your Source Files.

Any change in the Clips, whether it's an Effect, any sort of overlay, such as PiP, or a Transition, will show the red line.

There is a slight exception to the above, but that involves Still Images. Even if they are Scaled to match the Frame Size, as the Project, one will get red lines, as PrE will need to "create Video" from those Still Images.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to PKGlitz

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, there are many considerations, when editing Video. It is much more involved, than editing Image files, in say Photoshop.

We attempt to share those considerations, as well as we can, but as camera mfgrs. are prone to change things, and almost every quarter, it is tough to keep up with it all.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I hope it is alright to interrupt here - if not please forgive me.

I have been battling computers and a "big box store" for 3 months now. All computers are have been under warranty so I am on my third machine....

With the second machine I was told I needed to purchase all new software so with that I upgraded to PsE & PE 10. PE 10 works just fine - as far as I can tell. On my old machine - PsE lagged - but I knew that when I purchased it.

This machine and the one previous, were replacements and I was told that these would "more than run" my programs.

• Asus
    • 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-2450M processor;
    • Intel® Core™ i5 processor
    • Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
    • 6GB DDR3 memory; expandable to 8GB.
    • 750GB hard drive (5400 rpm).
    • UMA graphics
      For lush images and vivid detail. HDMI output for flexible connectivity options.
    • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system preinstalled

Sooooo, then I stumble upon this thread only to find that my camera poses an issue as well

If all of my software is oudated then it stands to reason my camera is too?

I have a Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG10

HD-SHQ: 1280 x 720 (30 fps/ 9Mbps)

Videos: ISO standard MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (.MP4)

Audio: 48kHZ sampling, 16bit, 2ch, AAC

http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/products/vpc_cg10/spec.html

Basically I have the same issues as before but different. Before I had hours to wait for rendering - now I have no redering issues at all. PsE10 tells me if my videos that I am importing need different settings.

When I edit for long periods of time then it wants to quit on me. Sometimes it decides to give me these white vertical bars or lines then if I just click over to something else, when I come back, they are gone (like in the second photo)

pse10-issues.gif

Sometimes I also get what I call "confetti" from previous pages - but this is not just in PsE it is in Office 2010 and even on the internet. I have more than likely been in PsE10 prior to each external incident happening.

So, today, I took the same raw video, edited in Movie Maker (never have an issue there - just limited); saved the files; imported into PsE10 and now I don't seem to have any issues - so far.

All of this for this question - and "no" - I will not trade in for a desktop machine (already have one - this one is portable and I take it with me so I can work)

Would adding 2 g RAM to this machine solve some of the "white lines" and "confetti" issues I get? Also, from what I have read here, am I correct in assuming my video camera is out of date?

Thanks guys!

(Tammy aka PKGlitz)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to PKGlitz

If you're looking for help with your problems, Tammy, I'd recommend you start a new thread.

We're in mid-conversation here with the original poster, and it gets very hard to have two conversations at the same time in the same thread.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points